letter/sound correspondence and their signals

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Teacher379, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Nov 28, 2006

Hi everyone....I need to pick your brains again.

I remember once seeing a child making hand signals for each sound of the letters of the alphabet. For instance the letter Z she would zip infront of her lips, to show the sound of "Z".

I kept telling myself that one day I'll sit down with her and have her show me each of the symbols, so I can write them down, but the student wasn't at my school for too long. One day, suddenly she transfers to another school.

I was wondering if anyone out there knows what I'm talking about. Hopefully you wouldn't mind passing along the information or sending me to a site where I can find the info.

Thanks for all of your help.
    :thanks:

3. azteacher3

azteacher3 Companion

Nov 28, 2006

I don't know what grade you teach but I teach Kinder and my school uses the Zoo Phonics program. This is our first year using it and we all love it. By the second week of school 90% of our 110 kinders knew all the sounds of the letters. My class is writing like my class last year was in March.
    Every letter has an animal and movement that goes with it. Example: Aa is "Allie Alligator" and he says a (short a sound) and you clap your hands together like an alligator.
    This program is well worth the money and I highly recommend it!

I'm not able to post the link to their website but if you google zoo phonics you should find it.

4. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Nov 29, 2006

Thank you for recommending the site. I will look into it and see if my school would be willing to work with the program. The school just bought secret stories....so it would be a long stretch.

I'm not sure if it's what I was referring to...but anything will help.

Thanks!

5. herins

herins Companion

Nov 29, 2006

This also sounds alot like Jolly Phonics. If you go to their site and click on Jolly Phonics, then scroll down, the actions are listed.

6. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Dec 6, 2006

Thanks for this site. This was more like the information I was looking for.