Letter Reversals

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Jan 24, 2015.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jan 24, 2015

Not looking for advice (though it's always welcome) but rather just a thought on letter reversals...

I had kids design posters as a "fun" project - they were excited about them, and there wasn't pressure for them to be perfect. However, it surprised me to see a few good students put effort into their posters and have words spelled obviously wrong.

I won't say the exact words, but an example would be something like "psoter" instead of "poster". These were things they should have caught! And the couple of kids who did this had multiple words like this.

It actually makes me proud of these kids because, like I said, they are very good students. Some students have to try way harder than others to get good grades. Giving them a no pressure assignment shows me how hard they must study to be doing well on tests and essay assignments.

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2015

One of my best students is constantly mixing up d and b or making silly spelling mistakes. Yet she's reading at about a 6th grade reading level in 4th grade. She can spell. She clearly knows the difference between a b and a d. I wouldn't even call her careless. I think sometimes she's just so excited about her work that she does things too quickly or her mind is somewhere else while she's doing it that she doesn't notice these things until I point them out. It drives me insane though!