Letter reversals when writing

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by WaProvider, Nov 23, 2010.

1. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 23, 2010

I have a "waiting 'till next year" kinder that we want to make sure is ready. We are all working quite hard, and the parents are very on board. However, the parents have heard from the family rumor mill (one of the family members is a private school first grade teacher) that letter reversals are not alright at all. Could someone please tell me what age they feel the letter reversal stage should be ending --- and if anyone has a lead on the body of study I would love it.

Just looking to be on the same page with the parents.....who are not combative.

Please....

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 23, 2010

Simple letter reversals are normal until around 2nd grade. b and d, p and q or g, are all normal. If they are making their letters backward (other letters) it may simply be that they need more practice with an adult watching and guiding them in letter formation.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 23, 2010

Whew....that is where I thought. I however am ECE and not ED. Any idea where to look for the body of work on that?

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 23, 2010

Yep....that's how it happens.

7. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Nov 23, 2010

One thing that I tell parents when they are concerned about letter reversals is that the concept that the way something is turned changes what it is; is hard for some kids to grasp at first. For example, a shoe is a shoe whether it is upside down, on it's side, or right side up. No matter which way I flip the shoe it never stops being a shoe. This is true for a cup, a book, a blanket, etc. Now the child is learning about letter P, or b, or d or q depending on how it is turned.

8. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 23, 2010

:yeahthat: Good one!

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 23, 2010

Hey! That is exactly my understanding and sorta how I explain it!! So glad I am on the right page. This first grade teacher, who is related to my student, however........is 100% of the opposite camp. No reversals are acceptable by the time the child darken the doorway of school. EVER under any circumstance and she should be tested if there are ANY.

10. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Nov 24, 2010

Show them the research, so it's not just your word against hers, but her word against science.

11. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 24, 2010

Yep, that is my plan. Any tips on other works besides the ones so nicely posted above? I have saved both of those and am ready for that talk after the holidays....but the more the better. I suspect the comment after I show the print outs would be "well, anyone can print them off the net....how do we know they are true." The parent isn't combative....but this other realitive is covered in a "let's collaborate" facade.

12. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 28, 2010

I suppose this "relative" does everything perfect every time too huh? Sounds to me that she needs to be reminded that this is a child and not a robot and that everyone makes mistakes sometimes and everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Sure am glad she wasnt' my first grade teacher!

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 28, 2010

She is using this need for perfection to say that our program isn't preparing the child since at the preschool stage there are some reversals. If the family wasn't "waiting" for Kinder the child would be in the school.......and the reversals would have gone as well. Therefore....following her logic he is behind due to our program on account of the reversals.

However, to further tangle things my OWN daughter is a member of this teachers FIRST GRADE CLASS! Small private school. I am so happy to hear everyones responses......they are helpingnot only my attitute but helping me speak with mom as well.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 28, 2010

I found a pediatricians' chart of developmental milestones that indicates that letter reversals normally disappear by ages 7 to 8 - from which it follows that it is not abnormal for them still to appear by age 5 or 6.

It's at http://www.pedstest.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=6BvIbk5GYcQ=&tabid=85 or http://www.pedstest.com/Portals/0/downloads/finalmilestones.pdf; the mention of letter reversals is on the last page (not surprisingly), and the list of references at the bottom is brief but solid.

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 28, 2010

Oh, teachergroupie......I am so glad that you and sarzacsmom are both here. I really knew/know that it is a 2nd grade issue.....but the intensity is HUGE! Thanks for the sites tg! Adding those to my favorites!

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 28, 2010

You're welcome, WaProvider.

17. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Dec 7, 2010

I also want to add that letter reversals are more common for children that use their left hand because of the way the brain is structured. I have a lot of parents who panic about this and most of the time the child is left handed. I finally had to look it up on the hand writing institute website and saw that this is normal for children through the elementary years. Lots of leftys are accused of dislexia but in reality english is set up for right handed people and can throw left handed children off because of their brain structure.