letter reversal in spelling tests

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by otterpop, Sep 13, 2014.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 13, 2014

Would you mark a word incorrect in a spelling test for an upper elementary student who confuses b's and d's?

No IEP for the student, but there should be one. Even though I know the student meant to spell it right, I feel like marking it right is allowing the student to slide through the cracks in the system without the support they need.

3. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Sep 13, 2014

You could ask the student to read what they wrote for you? If they spell it correct then mark it correct. Just an idea?

4. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 13, 2014

I agree about having the student read it to you this time. For the future, I have 3 methods for getting b's and d's correct:

1: Look at the alphabet line in the room.

2. This one you'll have to model: Make the word "bed" with your fingers sans the e. You're basically making the "o.k." symbol with your fingers but keeping the other 3 fingers together to make the b and the d. This should help them figure it out since they know how to spell "bed" and they can see with their fingers which way to make a b or a d.

3. If all else fails, make the letters upper case.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 13, 2014

I don't count letter reversals as correct if the letter can be confused for another - so I would mark it wrong. This is per Marie Clay's writing tasks in the observation survey.

6. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2014

I don't think it should be marked correct. Nor do I think spelling should be a very large component of any grade.

Some schools have a spelling subcomponent of language arts, so you wouldn't be able to avoid giving a worse grade for this if they're really doing poorly on spelling tests.

You can of course teach techniques to get it right, but keep aware that this will always slow them down for as long as they need to use a specified technique, and thus their scores will probably still be a bit lower.

7. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Sep 15, 2014

As a teacher of dyslexia, teach the balloons and pigs or not rule. Using the left hand make a fist with the thumb pointing up, that's balloons or b because the thumb is up. Turn the hand over for p because pigs root in the mud. Have them do balloons for b, tell them that d is the opposite way. I also have traced around their hand to show them. I have found balloons or not works with upper grades because it is very indiscreet.

8. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Sep 15, 2014

I'd mark it incorrect. Whether or not there's a learning disability present, the child did not spell the word correctly, so should therefore not get it marked correct.
    If I have child who gets discouraged with getting it wrong, I pull them aside and remind them that bad grades don't mean not smart, or bad student, they are just there to show mom and dad where you are on a <insert grade here> grade level

9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 15, 2014

I don't actually count the tests towards grades (kids don't know that though). I do grade them, but don't enter them into the grade book. I see it as more of a way to practice phonics and spelling rule knowledge rather than a test in how well they can memorize a word list.

The student that I was asking about above is working on CVC words. So, in addition to having poor spelling , she is unable to stretch out words to write things like b-a-t.

I have a few kids still doing letter reversals. This should be addressed by 4th grade, yes? I will pull a small group to address strategies (like the "bed" trick) but I think there are likely unidentified learning disabilities at this point. We are an RTI school, and it is nearly impossible to get kids identified if they are making any progress at all, which seems like a huge disservice to me.

10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 15, 2014

This is probably what I will do. We use standards based report cards anyway... either way, the student will probably not be marked "meets" in "knows and applies grade level phonics".

11. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 15, 2014

I hadn't heard of Marie Clay's writing tasks... it was interesting to read about. :)

12. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Sep 18, 2014

I would mark it correct if you know for sure it's a reversal. It makes me think of words their way spelling inventory- they say it's not wrong if it's a reversal. It's a spatial issue, not spelling.

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2014

I would probably just ask, "what letter is this?"

I have a 4th grader- reading on about a 6th grade reading level who constantly does this- not because she gets confused or doesn't know, but because she writes very fast and be careless. I would point it out to the student and say you're giving them credit this time, but they need to be more careful, etc. etc. and ask if they know why they made that mistake.