Letter Recognition Help

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by mrs.oz, Oct 9, 2006.

1. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Oct 9, 2006

This is my 4th year teaching preschool. I am trying to go with the advice and not teach letter of the week. I am focusing on a letter each week but it does not pertain to my unit. Anyway, I would like to know some of your daily routine ideas for reviewing that letter. For instance, we sing the Sing Spell Read and Write Alphabet song and the Phonics Song then we review the letter and draw the letter in the air. Today I read The Bb sound Box Book. Tomorrow I am finishing up with the Bb sheet for Sing Spell Read and Write instead of reading the book but we are doing the same things by singing the songs, and drawing the letter in the air etc. One day we will probably do a letter hunt. I was just wondering what some of you all do.

3. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Oct 9, 2006

I have the children work with their parents at home to cut out magazine/newspaper pictures of words that start with that letter (this week B). I also write words on the board and have kids circle the letter of the week in the context of these words. I have the children name words that I write on the board. I will also write some words that start with B and some that do not and have children take turns erasing the words that do not start with B. For B, I brought a beach ball and had the children pass it around and when they received it, name a word that starts with that letter.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 9, 2006

We have our kids bring something on Fridays that starts with the letter of the week.

We also have done a cute activity for letter recognition... we put post-its around the room with different letters, and the kids have to go find one that has a particular letter on it. They LOVE this game!!!

5. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Oct 10, 2006

I've found that name activities help the most with letter recognition. First we concentrate on the first letter of their names. I don't have a particular order. Then I find the lowercase letters that correspond with the ones that look basically the same as the uppercase letters. Then we move to the letters that look somewhat familiar to each other (upper/lowercase), then we move to the ones that look nothing alike. I just do fun and exciting activities, no worksheets at all. Before I know it, most of them can recognize at least the letters of their name and their friends. If you start with the letters that look alike in upper and lowercase you will be amazed how fast they pick up noticing letters around the room. We do some of the activities listed below.
    *Letter Hunt around the room
    *Find a firend that has a letter like yours in their name
    *Walk the letter (Tape letteron carpet and let child walk around it)
    *Body letters (children make letters with their body)
    *Stamp the letter
    *Put stickers on the letter
    *Find letter like yours in a book title
    *Group Letter collage (draw letter on huge sheet of paper and let kids take turns decorating as a group)
    *Find letters in the morning message

Just a few ideas to get you started. I also do many language activities during the day during transition times. Such as rhyming our first names, finding words that begin with the first sound of our name, silly chants, etc. I have yound 3s and it's amazing how much they have learned just from my taking advantage of the short transition times during the say. They can all count backwards from 10 to 1 because I use this method of counting down when an activity is about over. Now all of them can count backwards! They are all rhyming because I use Willoby Walloby and other silly rhyme chants dismissing to centers, or getting ready to go to another room, etc. Now I am counting 1 to 20 as we move from the room to the playground. I use these informal moments to reinforce many of the concepts I want to get across to the group.

6. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Oct 10, 2006

I forgot to add that I teach letter strokes, but not how to write a letter. I move from the easy strokes to the more complicated as the year moves on. For example, we make dots on a page, we make lines down a page, then we make lines across a page, then we make circles, then rainbows, etc. Before you know it, they are able to combine the stokes to make letters on their own. The thing is to do many fine motor activities during the day to strengthen their hand muscles. I set aside 10 minutes with a timer for them to work on certain materials then they may choose their own activity. We do large and small group fine motor activities and I work with them individually as well.

7. LuvPreKTeachin

LuvPreKTeachin Rookie

Oct 10, 2006

We do a collage with the letter. Since mine are three, I find most of the items and they cut or tear them out and glue them on. Although, I have a few that can find things on their own! This week we are doing letter Pp. We glued on pictures of pumpkins, (actual not picture) pom-poms, pear, playdoh, popsicle, pink and purple things, letter Pp, etc.

We also do an art with it... like today we painted a letter Pp with a pom-pom ball with pink and purple paint! (Say that 10 times fast! :D )

Good luck,
    Crystal

8. teachder

teachder Companion

Oct 10, 2006

Could you give examples of the materials they use during the 10 mins and the activities they choose? Also the fine motor activities?

9. teachder

teachder Companion

Oct 10, 2006

I do the bringing something on fridays to go with the letter, but can't think of something for every week. Do you tell them what to bring or leave it up to the families? Next week we are bringing in furry friends (stuffed animals) for the letter F.

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 10, 2006

I have the kids/families choose something. It's been interesting seeing some of the things they decide to bring in that I never would have suggested. For short e, we had kids bringing in eggs (a plastic one and a real, blown one), envelopes, and an engine! One kid brought a dollar for D! Last week for F, a couple of kids brought frisbees. I never wold have suggested any of them, so it's fun to see them being creative!

11. teachder

teachder Companion

Oct 10, 2006

[I also do many language activities during the day during transition times. Such as rhyming our first names, finding words that begin with the first sound of our name, silly chants, etc. I have yound 3s and it's amazing how much they have learned just from my taking advantage of the short transition times during the say. They can all count backwards from 10 to 1 because I use this method of counting down when an activity is about over. Now all of them can count backwards! They are all rhyming because I use Willoby Walloby and other silly rhyme chants dismissing to centers, or getting ready to go to another room, etc. Now I am counting 1 to 20 as we move from the room to the playground. I use these informal moments to reinforce many of the concepts I want to get across to the group.[/QUOTE]

could you give length discriptions/examples of the activities? i find myself ringing a bell or clapping my hands or saying 1-2-3 eyes on me, but (except for the bell) nothing gets their attention, and then i just walk around the room saying clean up cleanup. i can't stand the barney clean up song, i think it's to baby for the four year olds and they are loud group- can hear them talking in the room when you are out of the room and down the hall! Everytime i try to count they count with me and then say blast off and start laughing...i am trying to get them quiet or cleaning not to be silly and loud.

12. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Oct 11, 2006

Here are a few ideas!

Pinching playdough...removing small pieces
    Using tweezers/tongs to transfer items to small containers
    pouring water into small containers with small measuring cups
    twist ties or chenille stems around a tube or container
    placing rubber bands around a container
    turkey baster at the water table to fill small containers
    putting together linking cubes
    lacing beads or other materials
    placing poker chips in a container with a small slit on the top
    rolling playdough into ropes
    squeeze bottle art (dollar store squeeze bottles with flour and water to squeeze onto cardboard)
    those cheap "pick-up" toys from Wal-mart to pick up pom-poms to put in small container
    those squeeze balls from the $$ store to squeeze
    Tearing paper (difficult to do with only pincher grasp)
    Crumpling paper (bring old telephone book and let them tear pages from the book to make into ball to stuff pillowcase)
    clothespins around a container or let them clip them together end to end
    linking chains
    nuts and bots to screw together (this is the one they really need help with)
    matching tops to bottoms. Various types of containers.

Activities I provide around the room include some listed above:
    dot-dot markers at the easel
    painting a path at the easel (which is just my drawing a "road" on a large sheet of paper and the child has to paint the road only. (They love this!) Later in the year I add more roads for eye hand coordination and they have to paint 2-3 roads using the right color. This is a challenge!
    I draw various lines on the paper and they have have to paint one color in each space. These make great artwork and also provide them with an activity that takes concentration.
    I also put a variety of drawing materials at the easel
    I add small containers and clear vinyl tuvbing the water and sand table to have them fill. I color the water different colors.
    I provide primary colored water at the sensory table for them to mix colors and fill small containers.
    I found these cute small, medium, and large pumpkin and gourd packs at Wal-mart and they have sorted these using tongs into small cups.
    I let them do their first initial with tiny stickers. (or shapes or whatever else I can think of)

In the dramatic play area I've added cold weather clothing that includes snaps, zips, buttons, velcro, etc.

I also have another area for dramatic play set up as a toolshop. So there is lots of fine motor work going on in that area.

In blocks I have a variety of blocks, and materials for them to use.

I also have writing material in every area of the room which I change out often to keep it interesting for the children.

13. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Oct 11, 2006

That kind of reminds me of doing funny feet for Ff when I was an aide in kindergarten. I almost forgot about doing those kinds of things. Thanks for refreshing my memory. It's been 11 years since I have done that.

14. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Oct 11, 2006

Some Activity Ideas

could you give length discriptions/examples of the activities?

Here are some of the things that I do. I have young 3s.

I give a 5 minute, 3 minute, and 1 minutes warning. Then I start counting 10 to 0 and I say "times up!" I have a "special helper" who goes around to give the kids the reminders as to cleaning up. I help and we play games such as how fast can we do it, or beat the clock, etc. I also put on their fav CD that includes a cool song that they want to move to and this spurs the group.

I ALWAYS give positive feedback such as, "____ you were so thoughtful in going to assist ___ in cleaning his/her area." or "_____ thank you for wanting to keep your friends safe in the room by cleaning so quickly."

I also don't wait until everyone is done to start my cirlce time. We go ahead and do a quick fun acitivity that the others kids will miss if they don't hurry. Those that don't complete their area, are directed back in a gentle, matter-of-fact way to clean their area. "_____ I know you want to join in the fun but remember we have to think safety first. Please return to the block area and put away the rest of the blocks." It was so cute today because I had a child volunteer to help a friend clean the block area when I know she would never want to miss our circle activity! (We have been talking about being a good friend for a few weeks now!)

My activities....

Box of interesing objects and passing around the circle as we learn the name of the item and what it is used for. 5 minutes

Looking for letters in our name. Our seat cushions at circle have their names on them. 3 minutes

I expand on this to ask them to check their neighbors name to see if they have any of the same letters. 5 minutes

Rhymes, I use lots of silly made up words. 2-3 minutes

Using synonyms for words. I do this throughout the day. Or I ask "What another word for tiny?"

Animal descriptions. "I'm thinking of an animal with four legs, that lives on a farm, we get milk from this animal and it says MOO!" I make these more difficult as the year progresses. 3 minutes

Let the kids tell about a page in a book we have read many times. 5-10 minutes

Visualization. Kids eyes closed lying on backs. I describe a scene and ask them other things they might see. 2-3 minutes

I'm thinking of words that begin with the sound /m/ can someone else give me a word that begins with /m/? 3 minutes

We're going some place cold. What should we pack in our suitcase? I also adapt this as a memory game to remember all the stuff we put in our suticase. 5-10 minutes. I use various destinations!

Following directions with the children. "Sue go stand behnd Rob. Joe stand in front of Rob. Sally stand beside Rob. etc." 5 minutes. I also do this with a box and a stuffed animal. "Place the bear behind the box, place the bear on top of the box. etc" The children take turns. 6 minutes.

Short discussions. "What is your favorite food to eat? What do you like best to do in the art center?" If you went to the moon what do you think you would see?" 10 minutes All the children don't geta turn to answer every question. Mine are learning conversation ettiquete!

Clapping syllables for words. 2 minutes

Breaking words into smaller parts (syllables) "I'm thinking of a word what is it? El-e-phant" Kid's respond "elephant" 2-3 minutes

Guess the word. /m/ /an/ what is the word? "man" Another.../st/ /op/ what is the word "stop." 2-3 minutes

"You may go to the dramatic play area if your name begins with the sound /m/. or "If your name starts with this letter you may go line up." Show a card with letter. 1 minute

"If you are wearing black AND white you may go line up." "If you have on stripes and polka dots you may go to the art area."

"If you have the letter 'I' in your name you will ride the trikes first."

These are just a few of the things that I do. :)

Hope that helps.