Letter of the Week???

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mcjklj, Apr 24, 2008.

1. mcjklj

mcjklj Rookie

Apr 24, 2008

Hi, I'm trying to decide what I want to do next year...letter of the week or a more thematic approach?? I know there's been a lot of debate about the most effective way to teach.

I've always done letter of the week, but I'm not sure if I want to use that approach next year. I've thought about doing thematic units and having a "mystery letter of the day."

Not sure how I want to structure things??? I would love to know what you do. Any suggestions?? Thanks so much.

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2008

Letter of the week has always worked very well for my classes. They learn the alphabet amazingly fast. I add the phonics with this method. I'm not sure what I'm doing next year.

4. MrH

MrH Rookie

Apr 25, 2008

What does your curriculium do? Ours does a letter almost every week. At the beginning we do a few letters per day, but then after about 3 weeks, we go back and do 1 letter per week. It seems pretty effective from what i've seen.

I think having a letter per day is overload for this age. They would get lost quickly (at least students in my class would :) )

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2008

We do one letter a week. By the time we get to the end of the alphabet, around March, we do xyz in one week.

6. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Apr 26, 2008

Our curriculum teaches a letter a week, sometimes 2 when we learn a vowel. They do not go in order, though.

7. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 26, 2008

Our new curiculum will teach letters in order of frequency. The number of letters each week varies. It will start off by doing 1 a week, then review the two letters on the third week. Towards the middle of the year, they will go over two letters a week, and on the third week of the theme, they will review all of the letters taught in that theme.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 26, 2008

Our current scope & sequence calls for 2 letters per week focusing on phonics. They also go in order of frequency. They are also learning one letter per week in handwriting that they may or may not know the sound for. I am hoping that the summer revisions will call for teaching the handwriting with the sounds with the knowledge that some of the letters are harder to write and will need to be reviewed again later in the year. I don't like that they have been writing the letters with the wrong form all year before they learn how to write them correctly. I would rather they know the form but the letter not look quite right than to have them write it all year and have to undo that before they learn how to write. We also have a theme of the week that we use for social studies/science and for any extra center work we may be doing that week. Sometimes letters and themes go together, sometimes they don't :)