Letter of the week? Not for me.

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Sep 27, 2008.

1. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Jun 23, 2009

I have always done them in order and am planning to do that again next year. It's just easier for me that way. I tried to come up with themes/letters to go with the seasons, holidays, etc but couldn't come up with a plan that I really liked. I may continue to look at that for the future, but for now, we will go in order.

Also, I only begin a new letter of the week when we have a full 5 day week. During short weeks, our themes are based more on whatever holiday or season it is at the time. For example, I will talk about the Presidents during the week we are out for Presidents' Day on Monday and Thanksgiving/fall the short week before Thanksgiving.

I do all about my school, my family, and me during the first couple of weeks (the end of August at my school) but don't talk about any specific letters. I start the letters the first Monday after labor day.

2. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Jun 23, 2009

oops! Didn't mean to post that twice.

3. MOM1TEACHER2

MOM1TEACHER2 Rookie

Jun 23, 2009

I do have to say that at our preschool we do a letter of the week, but like so many of you it is our base. We teachers who teach the 4 and 5 teach, do not do them in order, but our 3 yr old teachers do. At beginning of school we take a week or two to talk about the letters, why we have letters, what can we do with letters, and so on. Also, introduce that letters and numbers are different, what the job of a number is and so on.
    We may have a letter of the week, but like if we sing the alphabet song we will pop up when we here that letter, or I will take that letter off the wall and ask them which one is missing,we try each students name with that letter, what would your name be if it started with that letter.(yes, sometimes you can't do some letters with some names!), is this letter in your name. We do try put certain letters with other themes such as p when we go to the pumpkin patch, we do a pajama & popcorn party since we do not do a halloween party. V for valentines, C for Christmas, anything and everything to help association with letters. I like to use all approaches to help all kinds of learners.
    We also review what letters we have done also. We hang up the letters we have done on the ceiling too.

With that said would any you be willing share your list in what order you teach the alphabet? I know some do the order by letter sounds, letter formation, and others. We are going to get together soon to decide our order for the year and would love hear from other teachers around the country.
    Thanks,:)

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 23, 2009

a,b,c to open year

n,v,s-these are our spooky night nocturnal creatures

x,f,d - these are our creatures that we eaten at thanksgiving and live in the forest for holiday links

l,m,y- holiday ideas. christmas mouse. yum, yell w/joy. lights on houses. these animals don't fit themes but the ideas do

w,p these are our animals in the polar regions-weasel and penguin

q,t,h we are doing fairy tales (cinderella and so on---some other country fairy tales are here to--many in india have tigers) this month queens, horses and tigers

r-robbie rabbit for easter but without the holiday just the baby bunny idea

u,i rain helps the garden grow. umber umbrella bird for u and inny inchworm to measure plants.

e,z,g,k
    this month is a celebration of reaching the end. we do zoophonics to we have a collection of animals and talk about them in the zoo. so it is an odd group but the children need to be older---these are far removed animals from us. elephant, zebra and gorilla and kangaroo.

we also do a lot of in order work. the zoophonic song is in order, the asl finger alphabet that we do is in order. we do lotto and many other things.

5. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 23, 2009

I begin the year with procedures
    M=Marvelous Me
    A=Apples (Johnny Appleseed Day, Sept. 26)
    L=Leaves
    F=Fall/Fire Prevention
    P=Pumpkins
    X=X-ray
    N=Native American
    T=Turkey/Thanksgiving
    B=Bears(We talk about hybernation)
    G=Gingerbread
    C=Candy/Christmas Around the World
    S=Santa/Snow
    Y=Year (New Year's celebration)
    Q=Quilt (a lot of patterning)
    W=Winter
    H= Healthy me/Hundredth Day
    V=Valentine's Day
    D=Dental Health/Dinosaurs
    K=Kites
    U=Umbrella
    R=Rabbits/Rainbows
    E=Eggs (I read Chickens Aren't the Only
    Ones)
    J=Jellybeans/Jack & the Beanstock (Our
    gardening unit)
    I=Insects
    Z=Zoo (We usually have our field trip to the
    zoo here)
    O=Ocean
    Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Week (Review of
    all the Letters)

That is just about the order I go in usually. It changes from year to year. We do alot of review, mostly during the extra weeks in the months, since I usually do about 3 themes a month.

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 23, 2009

see that is sort of the order we do as well, but the letter add on is different. I like that about lesson planning. same song different verse!!

I love chicka chicka

and ----I am so jelous that you can go to the zoo!!

7. MOM1TEACHER2

MOM1TEACHER2 Rookie

Jun 23, 2009

4myclass that is really closed to our list from the past, except we are a christian preschool, we don't focus on Santa, but Jesus and Christmas, so S goes in January for snow, B usually ends up towards the end of the year when we go to the Butterfly exhibit.
    I am going to show this to the other teachers. Thanks, and keep those list coming if you can!

8. jarcherry

jarcherry Rookie

Jun 8, 2014

to focus on handwriting we do chunks: hanging letters (j g) small letters (o u), and tall letters (l f)
    some break it up more.