Letter of Introduction vs. Autobiographical Statement

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Blank, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 22, 2014

What would be the difference between a letter of introduction and an autobiographical statement/essay?

The letter of introduction is for a potential substitute teaching position.

The autobiographical statement/essay is 600 words or less for my teaching credential program application.

Thank you for any pointers! I just want to make sure I'm distinguishing them both correctly so I can write them appropriately.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 22, 2014

Unpack the phrases.

An autobiographical statement/essay is an autobiography: it traces your life and development. In 600 words or less, oy: chances are what's wanted is not your full autobiography but your teacher autobiography.

A letter of introduction is a letter that introduces the author to those who might hire him or her: that is, a cover letter. If this were a school assignment, I'd have you ask how many words. Since it's not, take other cover letters here on A to Z as examples, either positive or negative. In any case, this thing is not an autobiography.

4. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 22, 2014

Thanks, TeacherGroupie. For my autobiography, I'll be typing 600 words on my development of teaching and how I came to be where I am in the education field. For my letter of introduction...based on ones I've seen here, I'm introducing myself as an educator and sharing a few stories that prove to employers that I would be a valuable asset to their team (all in about a page).

Thanks again! I just needed help picking them apart. Since I'm writing the two at the same time (well, during the same time period), I wanted to be sure I was doing each one right.