letter and number reversals

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by puff5655, Feb 16, 2012.

1. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Feb 16, 2012

Is there anything that can be done about number/letter reversals in K? Additional tracing/writing practice doesn't seem to help.

I have a big handful of kids this year with this issue.

3. Gareth

Gareth Rookie

Feb 16, 2012

They might need constant reminding. They're going to have to intellectualize it and force themselves to do something completely unnatural to them. Maybe make them a card with the letters they reverse most often and ask them to check it when they're writing those letters.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2012

Put letter cards in page protectors, kids trace with wipe off markers

Sand paper letters

Trace letters in sand, shaving cream

5. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Feb 16, 2012

All things we have been doing all year.. so I guess there is no magic formula to eliminating the problem. Just takes time..

6. TAKlinda

TAKlinda Rookie

Feb 20, 2012

Try ReverseFixUp.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 20, 2012

this might be a silly question, but are any of these kids left handed? I am, and I used to reverse some of the letters for a while.

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2012

True Linguist....left handed children constantly reverse their letters and numbers.

I ask my children to look at their pages and see if there are any numbers they want to change. If they say no, then I tell them I have a challenge for them and that "x" numbers need to be changed, whether it's two or three that need to be changed. When they go back and look at their paper, they always find it and fix it.

It's a slow process, but they get it eventually and it puts the responsibility for finding the mistake on them. Obviously if they can't find it, I tell them to look at certain numbers.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2012

I still have two sixth graders who are reversing their b/ds and they are not labeled as LD. Other than their reversals, they are doing great in the classroom.

I give them the same prompt to go back and find their mistakes in their writing. It seems to help when they are focusing on them.

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 20, 2012

I think it's just as much practice doing it correctly as possible- I ask my students to fix them every time so they're not practicing them wrong. I have one 3rd grader who just does it constantly, especially with numbers. I have a huge number and alphabet line right above where she sits, so she looks at those to help. It's been over a year though and she still can't do it without the visual.

11. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Mar 1, 2012

Not left handed. Reverse fix up looks interesting, I'll check it out when I have time later today. Making them check the numbers/letters I put on their desks seems to help too. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

12. spedteachercha

spedteachercha New Member

Mar 7, 2012

Reversals

It would help if you provide students with raised line papers to help them stay on within the line. But it would also be best to seek help from an occupational therapist for if some students suffer from the same problem for a long time they may be a suspect for dysgraphia.