Let's Talk Recess

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hokiegrad1993, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Sep 2, 2018

So at my school we are trying this new thing. Students are mandated to have two recesses a day (Love this) However, the schedule for their recess is terrible.

Recess 1 is part of their 30 min lunch. The goal was to have 15 min lunch and 15 min recess but the whole class has to be done eating in order to go outside. Also this recess is unstructured and aides watch the kids we as teachers are on "break."

Recess 2 is 15 min and right at the end of their day after specials. Specials goes from 2:15-3:15 and dismissal is at 3:30. This recess is also structured so they have to play a whole game as a class. This also falls in the area right where all the parents are gathered to walk their kids home at the end of the day so safety is an issue. This also causes us as teachers to have them pack up before specials cutting out of academic time.

We were excited for the students. Two recesses are important. But with this new method students are actually getting less recess than before. What do you think?

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 2, 2018

That's a weird schedule for sure.

I agree that students should have more recess time than they currently get. Also, it doesn't make much sense to me to schedule recess at the end of the day. The whole point of recess is that they're taking a break to recharge.

15 minutes for lunch seems very short. It sounds like several things in your school schedule need some reworking. My school has different but similar schedule problems. Did teachers have input on your current schedule?

4. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Sep 2, 2018

I am student teaching here so I do not know. From what I have heard there was a survey sent out last year but not many people filled out the survey.

5. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Sep 2, 2018

Sounds like the school wants to make it sound nice to parents that students will have two recesses, but don't want to commit time or effort into adjusting the master schedule. I agree with Otterpop that the lunch is way too short and recess at the very end of the day defeats the purpose.

Hokiegrad1993 likes this.
  6. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Sep 2, 2018

Wow...that schedule seems a bit weird. A better schedule would be a 20 minute AM recess (that does not take up lunch time) and a 20 minutes PM recess.
    I let my students have recess daily in the afternoon for 25 minutes (this is, however, used for behavioral management). I call it free time and work on IEP goals during this time..

Hokiegrad1993 likes this.