Let's talk accumulated teacher stuff...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bunnie, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 30, 2014

So I literally have boxes of various teaching materials in my apartment from when I left my teaching job last summer. It's starting to make me look like a semi-hoarder :lol:

I've heard teachers have like garages full of teaching stuff.

So what do you do with it? What do you decide to keep? How do you part with all these wonderful things you think you might use again?

I can't be the only one here with attachment issues with my stuff right?

Hi, my name is Bunnie and I'm a hoarder of teacher materials! :help::cool:

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 30, 2014

Hi Bunnie! My name is Kathleen and I'm a hoarder of teacher materials.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 30, 2014

I emptied my file cabinets at work last week. I think this picture of me may say it all. :lol:

My garage has at least a dozen storage bins. I'm a keeper of things.

[​IMG]

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2014

I have boxes and boxes down in the basement--much of it ended up there last summer when I had to bring everything home because I was moving to a new school. My new classroom didn't have much storage, and we didn't have access to the building until just a couple of days before school started, so it hasn't made it out of the basement. My task this summer is to go through every single box and ruthlessly purge!

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 30, 2014

I actually only have one box at home, and it's the stuff I brought home to work on over the summer.

7. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 30, 2014

I weed through my things at the end of every year. I try to have an honest reflection of the things I actually use.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 30, 2014

I left the classroom in 2009. I still have a 6 shelf bookshelf filled with stuff in my son's room, about 3 boxes in there, too, and about 4 boxes in the garage. I swear I'm just junking it all at this point. I even continued to buy new stuff up until last summer - all on sale, of course - for one of my tutoring students. It is just ridiculous at this point.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2014

You never know when you are going to be switched grade levels, so I hoard everything. The boxes of books is unreal. I've taught K, 2, and 5, so I have a lot. And I mean a lot.
    Decoration-wise, I do tend to purge/give away. As my style has evolved, I see no reason to hold onto things that I won't use again.

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 30, 2014

I digitize EVERYTHING. My department head rents an entire storage unit for all of her teaching materials.

I don't even use my filing cabinet. I do have a lot of science equipment but that all belongs to the school and will stay if I leave for the next teacher. But I also have enough curriculum that allows usage of easily obtainable cheap items (some are just trash and the like) that if I did leave I would still be able to do a great job with what I have.

I also own most of my pedagogy books in digital format on my Kindle or in PDFs.

My main space taker is my large collection of science magazines.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2014

Since I retired this year, I had the joy of willing all my teaching stuff to other teachers. I had a teacher come to my house one weekend and I completely filled her van just with stuff at home. I had tons more at school that I invited people in to shop. I managed to give everything away to other teacher hoarders!

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 30, 2014

I love your expression by the way. It's like "Look at all this stuff I have to organize..." :lol:

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2014

Very nice of you!

The teacher I'm taking over for retired and she took EVERYTHING. I'm happy because I don't have to clean it out, but I'm also thinking why in the world would you want it?!

14. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 30, 2014

I'm so glad I'm not alone. Lol

I took everything I paid for that I thought I might need. I accumulated a lot of things in 5 years! But I surely tossed tons of stuff too.

If only we could have an A to Z teacher garage sale/swap.

I guess one of my goals this summer is to de-clutter!

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 30, 2014

:yeahthat:

I'm starting to put things on teacherspayteachers. I'm also doing an on-line garage sale for non teacher stuff.

16. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jun 30, 2014

I keep nothing at home save for some construction paper, markers, copy paper, and crayons. I have 10 large storage boxes that I keep on top of the student cubbies, one for each month. I have ample storage in my room and have learned to purge after 32 years. I had to clean out the classroom of the teacher I took over for and it was a nightmare. I do not want the teacher who gets my room to have to do the same when I retire.

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 30, 2014

I'm amazed at how much I managed to accumulate in just two years! I gave a LOT away because I am moving to upper grades and moving 400 miles away. However, I kept ALL my books and some of the more pricey materials. I live in an apartment so those boxes are going in my mom's garage. I'm afraid to get rid of it because I spent a LOT on my primary stuff, especially the books, and I don't know that I won't ever teach primary again.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2014

Oh, I hauled a ton of stuff my 750 miles. In the biggest UHaul, it took probably 4-5 feet. That is boxes stacked to the ceiling.

19. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2014

Me too. I pack up my room in 3 crates, throw them in my trunk, and leave them there until August.

I bring one crate of stuff in my house because this is stuff that may be ruined by the sun/heat.

20. Flanny108

Flanny108 Rookie

Jul 1, 2014

I'm not surprised at how many of the hoarders on tv turn out to be teachers. I accumulated a lot of stuff early on and I kept EVERYTHING just in case I needed it. Over the past few years I get rid of stuff at the end of the year. My grandmother was a really hoarder and I have to make a strong effort to get rid of anything that I don't need. I am lucky that I am able to leave everyone neatly packed in my classroom each summer. The first school I worked in made us completely empty our classrooms every summer. That was a nightmare!

21. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 1, 2014

I am a recovered hoarder of teaching materials. I hoarded my first 3 years, and I am glad that I then made friends with the recycling bin, thrift stores, and libraries. That is where I got rid of lots of unneeded stuff. I highly recommend getting rid of as much stuff as you don't need. I tend to take a few days at the end of the school year, and a day or two in the summer to throw away, recycle, and donate. It makes it so much easier to find the things that I really need to use.

I highly recommend to only keep what you need, and get rid of the rest or teaching stuff will bury you alive.

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 1, 2014

That is really a good point. What difference does it make if you have everything you could possibly need if you can't find it when you need it? That happened to me - even though I was really organized.

23. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2014

My 'hoard' is mostly by grade level.
    Boxes of books are clearly labeled with 'picture books', 'beginner chapter books', and 'chapter books'. Books are probably the majority of my hoard. Class sets of novels are in shoe box sized plastic tubs, and lit circle sets are labeled.
    Then, I have several boxes of 'generic' stuff that I need no matter what grade level- paper trays, magazine boxes, stuff that goes in my desk, extra student supplies, etc... The only reason this stuff is packed is due to switching schools.
    Finally, I have a few boxes of things for each grade level. Teacher resources, file folders, etc...

24. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 1, 2014

I'm in the process of purging stuff. I have a 2 drawer filing cabinet that I haven't touched in YEARS. I have found papers from my undergrad work. Things I created while I was student teaching. Things from when I did preschool. Dare I say carbon paper & dittos? Oh my. I knew the visible stuff was bad. Most of it has gone straight into the garbage can. I did keep the actual file folders. I figure I can relabel & use those.

25. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 1, 2014

The words "hoarding" and "teachers" have the same number of letters, same number of vowels, consonants, and syllables. Nuff said? :whistle:

I spent two solid days this summer emptying 10 large binders of materials for various lessons. I decided to purge - didn't use it in two years - out it went. Then I added the new stuff. Still have 10 binders.:blush:

However, there is more room in each binder. Books are the only things I can't part with. I've decided that when I retire, my classroom library will stay in the room with a request that the books be offered to other teachers in the school or donated to Goodwill or the like if the new teacher does not want them. I will probably leave my professional books as well.

I purged my classroom too this year. It feels so good. I may actually throw more when I get back into my room because there were some things I did have second thoughts about. For the most part, though, I am down to tons of paper, pencils and the like and books. Not too bad! Haven't bought a poster in years - have let go of many over the past couple of years.

26. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 2, 2014

I have enough stuff to fill the front of the garage in front of the cars. About half of the wall is covered with shelves holding my boxes of books, file folder games, desk organization stuff, and teacher resources. The boxes of posters and trimmers are in there too. Now that I have been hired to teach ELL I don't think I'll be using 90% of it anymore. This year I'm just going to keep it and see what I actually use and what just sits. Next summer I plan to hold a teacher material garage sale. I honestly don't know that I'll be going back into the regular classroom, and if I do I can probably find most of what I'll need online.

27. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2014

Ima Teacher....your picture is hysterical.

I am a crazy-purger...hence the Clutter-Free Classroom name.
    These are the rules I use when working with teachers to declutter their space.[​IMG]

28. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 2, 2014

It's so tragic how much I have. I have taught 4 different grade levels, so there are just bins and bins of things. At least 6 large tubs in my apartment, and several shelves in my classroom.

IN MY DEFENSE....I have only ever worked in schools with NO resources. I've bought these things out of necessity. I even bought the clock on the wall.

But I am slowly giving things away. I'm not moving into this new classroom without purging 80% of my stuff.

29. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Jul 2, 2014

Except for one year, I have had to change classrooms each year. In addition to that, I've changed grade levels almost as often! So, I've gotten pretty good at not keeping stuff unless I KNOW I am going to use it. Most things, if I get rid of it I know where I can find it or something else that'll fit the bill. In my first two or three years, I would save some things only to forget about them during the school year and find them when I was moving.

I get rid of a lot of stuff each year, and I'm getting pretty good at it! This year was by far the easiest for me to clean and pack up at the end of the year. And good thing, because I have another grade AND room change this year! And I'm changing schools so I'm glad I won't have a bunch of STUFF to pack. (I'm moving apartments, too. Ugh.)

30. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2014

I started purging last year. I got rid of files and went to binders. I'm scanning things in as I go now. Anything that's seriously out of date went in the recycling bin. Anything I just never use went up for grabs in the book room.

It's honestly a little refreshing to open my cabinets and actually see what I have instead of hunting and pecking and shifting and sorting.

31. mmarti

mmarti Rookie

Jul 11, 2014

I would love to find some of you teachers near me! I will take that stuff off your hands :D

32. samsmom

samsmom Rookie

Jul 12, 2014

My classroom is -finally- free of previous teachers' treasures and my own accumulated 'stuff.' It looks great and I know where everything is! But my computer? Oh my.