Let's start some interview practice:

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Aliceacc, May 3, 2006.

1. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 24, 2006

wanna teach- You do have to have a vision.... I am convinced that if you act the part sooner or later it will become a reality. There are a lot of people out there( myself included) who are in the same boat.

2. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

May 24, 2006

It's extremely discouraging. You are definitely not alone on that one. This is my second year doing this (sending out packet after packet) and I'm really hoping for a permanent job come September. Hopefully all of us will get some good news within the next few months!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 24, 2006

I think I just got mine. My old boss just called. There's a math teacher in the school who is planning on moving, so she hasn't signed a new contract. She's 95% sure the move will go through; if she does, the job is mine! I'll know within the next 2 weeks.

Keep your fingers crossed for me. Although it's a Catholic school (translation: pays less than many local public schools), I LOVED working there. I could teach any math course they offer today and be totally comfortable (as math chairman, I wrote most of the syllabi) I know what they expect from me and wouldn't have to prove myself. The administration is wonderful-- supportive and easy to work with.

THis just broke the funky mood I've been in for the past 2 days!!

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

May 24, 2006

I need something to break the funky mood I've been in for the past week!

5. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 24, 2006

I think I have had my funky mood on and off for a month. Must be because school ends tomorrow around here.

That is great news Aliceacc. Hope you hear sooner than the two week wait.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 24, 2006

I am so nervous. My hair and face are done. I have my interview shirt on. Now I have to go dehair my suit.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 24, 2006

I feel for you. We have a chocolate lab and 3 messy kids. Good luck, both to you and Texasaggie-- do great!!!

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 24, 2006

I am ready. And guess what my interview isn't for another hour. It only takes 15 mins to get there. Now I don't know what to do with myself.
    I am sitting on a towel trying not to get any hair on me.
    We have three cats and a dog at this house. And this afternoon when I get ready for the next interview I will be at mom's house. Five cats and a dog.

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 24, 2006

Jaime- Relax,,, listen to some soothing music or something. You will do great. 2 interviews in one day! That's alot, but definitely a good sign

10. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

May 24, 2006

Good luck JamieMarie!

Truth is I haven't yet taught anything... I student taught in a second grade and a first grade classroom, so I think I would be most comfortable with either one. The school is hiring for quite a few positions, anywhere from K-5, at the first interview I said that I would be the most comfortable with one of the lower grades that I have already had experience with, and they called me back so I guess they're considering me for one of those?

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 24, 2006

Great sofiluv! Good Luck:D

12. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

May 24, 2006

yay

Congratulations!! I have my fingers crossed for you!

13. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

May 24, 2006

Relax and you'll be great!! Why don't you review some of those interview questions or role play what's going to happen in the interview - you know, you winning them over and landing the job!!

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 24, 2006

ACk I just got back but have to run. they did not ask any of the questions I thought they would.
    Asked about literacy programs and some sort of math. Also, how I would incorp. all the subjects into a unit. I'll write more latter I have to run.

15. mintti

mintti Rookie

Jun 2, 2006

Hi, just found this tread and reading eagerly. You guys are doing a great job with these questions! Oh, and I think I will join debate Alice, since you have some wonderful explainations!! LOL
    I taught Spanish for one year in a Catholic school, my only year teaching. It was an awesome experience. I myself am not Catholic, but I was a good role model and went to mass on Fridays regularly. I loved the sense of closeness with faculty and students by the common interest in the Lord. Oh, lets not forget the wonderful parent support system. These parents usually mean business! Also the parent/teacher relationships are strong, since most families are members of the church and all their children attend the school. Meaning, the families have been with the school for many years. Just a strong sense of love and family for most. At least, that is how I felt at my school. I can't say my principal was the greatest, but the faculty surely was awesome.
    Hope that helps!

16. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2006

Thanks- it does help. Welcome to the board!!!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2006

HI, and welcome!

That was sooooo well said!

If things go as planned, my husband and I will both be in Catholic High schools in the fall. Sure, we could both be making a LOT more money in public schools. But, for us at least, the trade-off is fine.

18. mintti

mintti Rookie

Jun 2, 2006

Ok , how about them asking what extracurricular activities you would be interested in participating?
    I didn't do anything in my first job. I don't want to seem as if I'm not interested, but I don't want to say "Whatever you need me for" and then get in over my head. Maybe say, I would be interested in an after school program a few days a week. I need to remeber that I am a first year teacher, and don't want to get overwhelmed.

Weakness:
    I can stress too easily over things. This can be a good thing at times, since I tend to mull over an idea until I am satisfied with the results.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2006

Think about things you're genuinely interested in. Doing an extra curricular that you hate must be awful!! What are your hobbies, interests, strengths? Name them and we'll come up with some EC activities you can list.

20. mintti

mintti Rookie

Jun 2, 2006

Ok, let's see...
    Hobbies/Interests: scrapbooking, reading, and learning new information on all subjects of life. Currently reading on how to discipline my 2 year old. My sister laughs at me, but at least I'm willing to learn and try.
    Strengths: I don't feel I have any actuall skills, except for cleaning and childrearing!!! But I have great qualities that make me eager to try new things. Besides my knowlege of Spanish, which I'm not fluent in, I don't feel like I bring anything spectacular to the table.
    Hmmmm....

21. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 2, 2006

Now mintti you are being hard on yourself. Think-are your organized, you run the household, yes? Are you dependable? Are you willing to do what it takes to get something done, you said you do-in reading on how to discipline a 2 year old. Are you creative in things you do with your 2 year old? You enjoy learning new things?

22. mintti

mintti Rookie

Jun 2, 2006

Hi Lesley,
    Sorry, my intentions were not to start a pity party for myself LOL.
    Yes I have all those wonderful skills to be a teacher, hardworking, devoted, creative, organized and so on. I was just stating that I don't have any skills to teach extra curricular activities, or certainly can't think of any that would apply. Tutoring students after school would be an interest, but is that extracurricular or is that just doing my job as a teacher?

23. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 2, 2006

Being willing to do after school tutoring is a good thing. I know that there are many teachers that are not willing to do that. Also, extracurriculars don't just have to be non-academic. Could you run something like a math or reading club after school? That could be something that an administrator would be interested in.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2006

That's what I was thinking-- how about an afterschool reading club/program? You could offer to set up a book club kind of thing-- the kids all read the same book and then discuss it.

Or you could offer to run their annual book fair-- you could get in touch with Scholastic books-- they have them all the time. And new fundraisers are ALWAYS welcome in Catholic schools!!

How about a scrapbook club? Or an Arts and Craft club?

25. mintti

mintti Rookie

Jun 2, 2006

Thank you for the ideas. :)

26. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jun 2, 2006

I love the book club idea!
    I was askedthe same question just a few days ago at my second interview, I'm also into scrapbooking, so I said that I would love ot do a scrapbook club for kids. I also think a tutoring club would be great too, it's a way to give extra help to the struggling students in your own class and make sure they do their homework at least one day a week!

27. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jun 2, 2006

An art club is also another idea, there's never enough time for art in during the school day.

28. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jun 2, 2006

What have you all said to the question: What are your weaknesses?
    I was thinking of saying that I am not a born leader, but that I am an axcellent and cooperative team player, I always do my part to the fullest, followed by an example.

What do you think? Any other weakness ideas that can be framed positively?

29. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jun 2, 2006

excellent* oops!

30. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 2, 2006

sofiluv -just on a side note- you can edit your posts by clicking on "edit" at the bottom of your post.

31. MissRana

MissRana Rookie

Jun 4, 2006

This is my first post on the boards (I had to join after reading through this AMAZING thread today!). How about the question "How do you handle a class composed of students of differing ability levels?"

32. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2006

Welcome Miss Rana- In response to that question my answer would go something like this...

I would begin by getting to know my students, their strenghts and weaknesses and their learning style so that I may be better able to differentiate instruction in my classroom. I think once a learning style is established it will be much easier to modify curriculum so that all students have an opportunity for success.

what do you think? Too wordy?

33. MissRana

MissRana Rookie

Jun 4, 2006

I see where you're going with it, but I think one key difficulty that comes from having multiple skill levels is that work can be too challenging for some and too easy for others. So, how do you keep the struggling students afloat while not letting the others be so bored that they start establishing their own island community... Okay, that was kind of weird imagery, but you get the idea. So often I hear people say, "well, I'd give the 'gifted' students extra seatwork to do," but honestly, how many gifted kids would tell you that they were done and wanted extra work? Most of the students I know would prefer to work on their homework from other classes or talk with other students... Am I being too cynical here?

34. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2006

Not cynical- realistic. You are right. I think that's where centers come into play. I don't have much experience with centers myself, so the details I would need to figure out.
    What would you do?

35. MissRana

MissRana Rookie

Jun 5, 2006

For secondary, as far as activities, I would try to do cooperative learning activities with heterogeneous grouping, but make it so that the high achieving students don't just do all the work themselves. One way this can be done is by making it so that every member of the group is responsible for the information and should be ready to give and explain an answer. This way the people can't sit back and let the advanced students take over. In order to make sure everyone knows the information, I call on a random number (they all have a number, say 1-4) and whoever has that number is responsible for giving the answer.

With more direct instruction, it's a lot harder (for me, at least) because the students that "get it" are the ones that raise their hand (and I have a hard time calling on people who aren't raising their hands because I don't want to embarrass them). I try my best to teach a concept a different way if I realize that much of the class didn't get it the first time, and after that, if I have seatwork, I go around and try to help students who are still lost (or have other students help). However, I generally try to stay away from seatwork, because I find many students don't take advantage of the time (or I guess you could say they DO, in the "abuse" kind of way). I don't know; I guess we could really use some help on this one. Any experts?? ;)

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2006

No experts, since each class has its own personality and is a brand new learning experience for each of us!

As to whether or not they would prefer to do homework, that's a pity. I personally would prefer to be on a beach in Bermuda, sipping a PIna Colada, but life's funny like that. You do someone else's homework in my class, I take it away. You do mine, I wait until you're done and then change the assignment.

As to the bright kids who constantly raise their hands, after a while, I'll say something like "how about those of you we haven't heard from in a while?" "No, not you Sue, we've heard a LOT from you, put your hand down!" Said with a smile, it makes the point.

As a math teacher, it's sometimes easy to put a challenging problem on a side board for those kids who need a challenge, then continue to explain for the rest of the class. I realize this might be more of a challenge in other disciplines.

Good luck, and by the way, welcome!!

37. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 5, 2006

There are so many amazing strategies out there to get every student involved in learning at all kinds of levels. Art Costa has some great ways to make students self-directed and Harvey Silver has strategies that draw on everyone's strengths and create a climate of learning at all levels. It takes work on the teacher's part, but the results are worth it.

Welcome MissRana to a to z.

38. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2006

Lesley, I would love to learn more about those strategies. Do you have any info?

39. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 5, 2006

I am so glad I wasn't in your math class Alice. I used to sit in the back of the room (we had assigned seats), and while Cheryl was teaching the lesson I would do the homework. She always gave the same homework odd problems for the lesson. She was my favorite teacher. The thing that happened was in 8th grade the math teacher told my mom I wasn't smart enough to take Algebra 1, and put me in a 1A class. We covered half the book. The next year instead of taking 1B I just took Algebra 1. I knew how to do most of the work and Cheryl knew that so that is why she stuck me in the back. She put me in honors Algebra 2 the next year and regular geometry. The only thing Honors 2 did was give more homework. So I thought that was stupid we moved at the same pass. I dropped out of that class. And just kept a study hall, 7 classes a day was a little much on the homework side.
    So my senior yr I had to take Algebra 2. I still blame that 8th grade math teacher. When he taught all he did was confuse me. Thank goodness I had Cheryl for two years. If I had a question I would just go ask her. BTW math was always my favorite subject until 8th grade. And I loved it again in 9th.

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2006

A few months after I quit my job to become a SAHM, I was called back-- they had fired a teacher and wanted me to cover 2 freshman classes. The kids all assumed I was a "new" teacher-- not former dept chairman who had taught there for 13 years!

One day, a week or 2 into my class, I noticed one of the boys writing furiously. He had his textbook open-- I NEVER use the text in class. It was fairly obvious what was going on. So I continued class. At the end, with about 2 minutes left, I made the following announcement: "I've got to change the homework: from 1-19 odds to 2-20 evens. It seems that one of your classmates has confused this class for study hall and has done all the odds. I will, of course, see that students' notes tomorrow before class." ANd the bell rang.

Every kid in the class knew who I was talking about. It didn't affect them-- they had the same number of problems. I didn't get angry or start a confrontation. And my rep was made!!