Let's start some interview practice:

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Aliceacc, May 3, 2006.

1. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 18, 2006

Correct me somebody, but if a child is labeled with a disability and is considered in special education then the IEP dictates so to speak their goals w/ accomodations and modifications, etc. So if a child is being instructed with all these guidelines in place and they are failing, then why shouldn't they be treated as non labeled peers. I understand that the process as far as learning the material needs to be modified, don't get me wrong. But isn't it unethical to "pass" somone who is failing despite intervention. I would hope that there was some talking before a child reached the failure point.

2. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 18, 2006

Karen thanks for the PM -- unbeleievable ... :(

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 18, 2006

I think it depends on the severity of the students special needs. Usually a student is graded on an IEP and if they have reached or not reached the goal. If they haven't reached the goal than it's marked not reached and a new one isn't added. I don't know how that would be failing. Of course I work with primary grades. So it may be different in middle and high school.

4. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 18, 2006

Those were my thought also. If an IEP is written and goals are not met, then there needs to be an evaluation of the goals that were set. Isn't it the IEP that sets the curriculum for the students, not the grade level, so to speak. Do they fail if their IEP goal is not met?

5. Pecas

Pecas Companion

May 18, 2006

Exactly my question!! Someone please educate me! :)

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 18, 2006

Our students don't fail. They may be held back depending on age and if goals are not met. This is how we grade out IEPS: Excedes goal, meets goal, Goal not met, or have not started.

7. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 18, 2006

This is how my sons' speech is evaluated.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 18, 2006

I have changed my mind about a 100 times since last night on what to use as my weakness. What do you all this of this one?
    I tend to be quiet when I first meet people. I like to observe people and their personalities before I jump in and really start sharing my ideas and opinions.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 18, 2006

How does that relate to the classroom?

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 18, 2006

that is what Daisy said. Well I was thinking more along the lines of working with a team of teachers. I would be quiet at first but after a week or so I would be giving my ideas right along with the rest of them.

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 18, 2006

Jamie, maybe you can say... I feel I am a sensor type personality. I like to observe the details before jumping in head first, I am a little to detail oriented.

Any help?

12. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 18, 2006

Sensors tend to focus on concrete information while Intuitives look at the possibilities of a situation. By using your five senses to gather data, you, as a Sensor trust what can be seen, heard, touched, tasted, or felt. You focus on the present and have great attention to detail. You can therefore be relied upon for accurate information. Intuitives, on the other hand, are imaginative and look for deeper and abstract meanings with the information in front of them. When presented with information, Intuitives enjoy pondering implications and consequences for the future. Intuitives look less to details and tend to capture the big picture faster.

13. wanateach

wanateach Companion

May 19, 2006

Continuing this conversation about the IEP's if you are in primary grades-special ed especially-how do you handle grades? I am curious. You do grade them, correct?thanks so much for your input.

14. wanateach

wanateach Companion

May 19, 2006

So that is really neat information: I am definitely an intuitive-is that bad for a teacher, just curious. I am nervous, it has been 2 weeks today that I had my interview, and they said they will decide within 2 weeks, so you know where my head is, thanks .

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 19, 2006

wanna teach, I don't think it's bad.. this is what my personality/work profile came out to be. I think you can turn it into a positive ...................

16. wanateach

wanateach Companion

May 21, 2006

Thanks Miss F.
    I just think what if I am not right for this job what if I am chasing wild butterflies-you know-but in my heart of hearts I know that I am because I just want to help kids-have a better life-have skills they need for life-help them in so many ways and I truly believe that I can-its what I am all about. Still haven't heard, do I just assume I didn't get it and go on....so many people are supportive of me asking......it just is so encouraging.

17. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 21, 2006

wanateach, it is soooo hard to wait. How long ago was your interview? DId they give you a timeline?

18. wanateach

wanateach Companion

May 21, 2006

yeah,
    It was 2 weeks ago Friday, they said 2 weeks-the other interview I had sent a letter saying I didn't get that one-it is okay, this is the one I really wanted-sort of thinking I should give up and go on.

19. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 21, 2006

wannateach- this has happened to me. Unfortunately, no response, is the response. I always thought that it is a little inconsiderate to not even be let down in a nice way. I always kind of feel unimportant when that happens, but I guess we just have to get up, brush ourselves off and try again. It's funny, that you said, what I've always thought,,, about just doing what you love, trying to help kids, etc. Wouldn't it be so much easier if we could just say that. I mean, in a way, I almost feel like I'm trying too hard to sound good, and that makes me not do so well in the interview. All I really want to say is Look, this is what I love, I really want to do it , just give me a chance. You know what I mean? The process of applying is just too much. I'm giving myself one more year of trying and then maybe I'll start looking into other areas. I'm just very very disheartenend right now. Sorry to go off on a tangent!

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 21, 2006

But at least you have an interview coming up. And the budget votes were just 5 days--3 working days-- ago. Hang in there-- the season in NY is just about to BEGIN::) :)

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 21, 2006

Hang in there, the right job is out there somewhere!!!

But I do agree that, after getting someone's hopes up with an interview, courtesy demands an answer of some sort. Administrators out there, are you reading this? Could you please have your secretary type up a quick "thanks, but not at this time" letter or make a fast phone call?

22. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 21, 2006

When I'm at interviews and they let me know the time-table, I always mention "will you let me know either way?" and explain that I have had interviews where they've promised to get back to me... 2 years later, I'm still waiting! They always smile and promise they'll let me know one way or the other. Sometimes they don't. But I think they appreciate that I'm going to be waiting. I've had places send a letter if they don't pick you... just a simple "thanks for your interest in our district. We enjoyed meeting you, but have chosen someone who we feel is a better fit for this particular position." note sucks but at least lets you know!

And an interesting question my current district asks (this is an elem. question, I don't remember what the middle school alternative question is)...

You find, through casual conversation with a student, that this student is going to be home alone after school. How would you handle this situation? (You're supposed to assume this is like a K or 1st grader, even though they don't tell you that)

Another question I was asked:

You need to tell a parent that their child isn't making adequate progress in your class. how do you handle this situation?

These actually aren't questions I've been asked anywhere else but this one idstrict, but they're good discussion and make-you-think questions. :)

23. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 21, 2006

The special ed teachers scores the IEP's. I wouldn't say it is a grade it's more of a 1) excedes goal, 2) goal meet 3) goal not meet 4) goal not started

24. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 21, 2006

For question one I would talk to either the principal or the guidance counselor. Depending if the school has a guidance counselor or not.
    It is my job to report to some one if I think there is abuse going on. And a child home alone at that age would be considered neglect.

For the second question I would call parents in for a conference. I would have example of the student work to present to the parents. I would than ask if I can refer student to title 1 or the a reading program if that is the problem. Once those avenues have been taken and the child isn't improving than I would summit a referral to the special ed team.

25. yessc31

yessc31 Companion

May 21, 2006

what do people say as there weakness? I'm never sure what is good to say? I have an interview on wednesday at school i really want to work at. The principal said to bring in a teaching portfolio, a sample letter to parents, and a educational philosophy statement. i have all this stuff it just needs tweaking. I work in an inner city school where there is little parent involvement. the school i am interviewing for is the opposite. I feel i havent been the teacher i want to be and dont make much parent contact (like w/ weekly letters). how could i explain why i dont do this even though normally i would?

26. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 21, 2006

Boy do I know what you mean Miss Frizzle. Another year of trying with 4 months to go, getting my hopes up everytime I see a posting and send in my material. But on the other hand....there are 4 MORE months to find the right spot, for someone to see that I have what it takes to make a difference with the kids......

27. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 21, 2006

I don't think you have to say you aren't doing that. They always say to turn your weakness into a strength. For me, I would like to say that I am very detail oriented. I tend to get lost in the details and lose sight of the big picture. I think that I would work well as part of a team where other members could benefit from my weakness and I from learning to see the big picture.

That may sound crummy... but I thought it is true of me. BTW, I also taught in NYC, and it was the pits. Where are you interviewing for - still the city.

I think it's important to stress what your experience has taught you and how you are aiming to improve ( communication w/ parents)

28. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 21, 2006

1. I would ask if they had been home alone before after school or any other time. Then head to the office with info in hand to see the principal or social worker. Never okay to come home alone at this age and I want to know how long it has been happening.

2. FIrst I send home (Or I did when I taught and will again) a weekly folder with papers I feel necessary for the parents to see and review. There is a place for comments and questions and a place for parents to sign so I know they have seen the papers. As soon as I see a problem I arrange to meet with the parents to discuss a course of action. i do not wait until conferences. I like to nip it in the bud so to speak so everyone is aware of the situation and working on it. We will then set a time to meet again in a few weeks to review progress and make changes necessary. IF parents don't show, which happens, I telephone saying I missed them and reschedule, I do not leave a message with my concerns as I do not know who is listening to the message. I will then MAIL a letter discussing my concerns then state what I am going to do and what I would like them to do. I will make a copy and file it.

29. yessc31

yessc31 Companion

May 21, 2006

i school i am interviewing for is in Brooklyn, but a much nicer neighborhood and only a 10 min walk from my house. my friends went to the school when they were kids and the principal was my friends teacher. hopefully the interview will go well. tomorrow i'm jsut gonna get some student work and take pics of the classroom to update my portfolio. i'm just worried cuz ive only been teaching since last march and worry they want more experience. However, i was called in for an interview so they must see something!

30. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 22, 2006

Good Luck yessc31, let us know how it goes.

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 22, 2006

How about: i haven't able to make much parental contact-- this is an area in which I would like to improve. Language difficulties have made it problematic in my current job. Working with people who share my language would make it possible for me to reach out to the parents so much more often.

32. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 22, 2006

How will you set up your classroom?

My answer will be with lots of visuals (ABCs, number line, Calendar, Word Wall). I will have a reading area. I would like my classroom to be visually stimulating. I also, would display student work so the children feel like they belong in the classroom.

How will you show student learning in the classroom?

I would display student work, use a student work portfolio with examples of writing, math and assessments.

How will you build community with in your classroom?
    I would get to know all of the students. I would encourage student interaction so the students get to know each other. I would model this behavior during the school day. Also, set high expectations in my classroom.

33. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

May 22, 2006

I just tuned into this thread... fascinating.
    lesley, that course sounds fascinating. As someone who has been out of a classroom much longer than 10 years, and have renewed certificate, updated some classes, andis now considered highly quallified, I am always on the outlook for some more info/ classes that I might possibly be able to take. Do you think you could send some info on this course? How about some book titles? Would appreciate any help you could give me.
    Thanks,
    Munchkin

34. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 23, 2006

munchkin- have you checked your local colleges for refresher type courses. They sometimes offer a week seminar for teachers. I'm sure you already know about Harry Wong's book, The first Days of School. This book is going to be my text for Teacher Effectiveness Training this summer.

35. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 23, 2006

munchkin, this was a course through Canter Video series that I took through a local university for credit. Actually I did it as an independent study and completed it in 3 weeks. Harvey Silver lead the course. The course text is called Teaching Styles and Strategies: Interventions to enrich Instructional Decision-making. published by Thoughtful Education Press, www.thoughtfuled.com The book was written by Harvey Silver, Robert Hanson, Richard Strong and Patricia Schwartz. I also took a Canter Course led by Art Costa-He has written many books on education and I found him to have some great insight and ideas for the classroom.

36. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

May 23, 2006

Here are some questions that a teacher friend gave me so I could prepare for any potential interviews in her district... I don't know if she took them from an interview form that they use in the district or if they were just questions that she has heard in the past. Any answers? I'm always so afraid of sounding "canned," you know?!

What are your three (3) most important reasons for wanting to be a teacher?

How much do you want to know about your students in order to be helpful to them?

What three (3) things do you most want to know about your students?

What do you need to know in order to begin your lesson planning for a class?

What four (4) key components do you believe you must include in your plan?

When you think about your students, in what major ways do you most want to influence their lives?

List and describe two (2) core teaching strategies you most utilized in your classroom.

37. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 23, 2006

[/

38. wanateach

wanateach Companion

May 23, 2006

Thanks for the help on the interview-I still haven't heard-it is just sort of discouraging-cause I play out the little scene where they call with the offer you know-and every time I do that I am hurting only myself-stupid I guess-just gotta keep it into perspective. Took my credential package yesterday to another school district's administrative office-just waiting for a call-thank goodness my kids will be home to distract me. I can brush up on stuff for the next one. I think it helps to have a vision-you know-just imagining what I want the kids to accomplish in my classroom-the scenerio of the success I will have-that the perfect job is out there waiting, is that a pipe dream? anyway, thanks for the help you have been. Lori

39. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

May 23, 2006

I have just finished reading the ideas you all have and the answers to those thought provoking questions... You all sound like pros! I will be having a second interview this next week and I don't know what they will ask that they haven't asked already in the first interview.. any ideas?

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 24, 2006

I would guess the questions would be more school and content specific. More day-to-day type stuff. What do you teach?