Let's start some interview practice:

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Aliceacc, May 3, 2006.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2006

Okay, core teaching strategies, umm how do you answer that one??? Not sure I know what that is anymore.....or is it job search brain death setting in?

2. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 9, 2006

Congratulations!!! That is fantastic knowing that the administration is actively trying to place you permanently!!
    Good luck:love:

3. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 9, 2006

Any thoughts on how to respond to your greatest weakness/area you need to work on? It's hard - you don't want to point out something HORRIBLE but at the same time you want to answer the question - any ideas?

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2006

Somewhere on this thread, that very question was addressed. You wan't to turn your negative into a positive.

5. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 9, 2006

What I usually said was something like - I tend to overplan activities and we never can finish everything I have planned. Then I add a little side note like, of course, that keeps the students so busy that it eliminates a lot of possible discipline problems that occur when they have nothing to do.

6. Skills

Skills Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

I need some help with some interview questions.

I have an interview Fri. for an elementary position. I don't know what grade. I need some help in answering some of the questions I think might come up.
    1. How do you align your curriculum and units of study with your standards?
    2. How do you use technology in your class?
    3. What is the greatest success you have had as a teacher?
    I have been thinking about saying watching my struggling readers become confident readers.
    4. What do you like most about teaching?
    5. What kind of assessments do you use in your class?
    I new this site and have gain so much from reading all the info.
    Thanks for any help you can give me.:thanks

7. SeattleGal

SeattleGal Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

Hi Skills! Welcome. Hope your interview is great!

Here is what I would say (I'm just starting my first year as a fifth grade teacher...)
    1. I got a similiar question and said that it is important to first know where your students are at in terms of ability, then check the standards. In terms of aligning - I think I would say that I would be well-informed on the standards for that subject area and make sure that the areas addressed in the curriculum and lessons reflected those standards. I always use the example that "standards are the skeleton that determines the structure."
    2. There is a great website for this question that I used after I felt like I flubbed this question in an interview... http://www.remc11.k12.mi.us/bstpract/, it will give you lots of creative ideas. I've seen kids do Power Point as low as third grade, too.
    3. For me, it is every "ah-ha" moment when a kid who was struggling has finally figured something out after I've tried to present it to him/her via different approaches - and one finally works!
    4. See above. :)
    5. I asked a first grade teacher about this question. She commented that she viewed assessment as having two main purposes: 1. assessment to inform teaching (kid-watching, conferences, tests, etc.) and 2. assessments for communication purposes - grades.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you!

8. MathWiz

MathWiz New Member

Aug 11, 2006

Thank everyone for intervewing tips!

I would like to Thank everyone for all the interviewing tips and practice questions. I had an interview a week ago. All of the questions were exactly the same as posted. Thanks for helping me in landing a Math position!!!:D

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2006

Hi and welcome!

Congratulations!!! Tell us all about it! Where and what level are you teaching??

I'm math too!

10. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 11, 2006

congrats!!!

11. MathWiz

MathWiz New Member

Aug 12, 2006

I will be teaching in Orlando, Florida. The 9th and 10th grade level- Algebra I and Informal Geometry. This is my first year teaching. I'm excited!

Aliceacc: What are level and subject are you teaching?

Interview (Long story, I will condense): Two weeks ago, I recieved a call on a Thursday, to go on inetrview on Friday. I was a little nervous, being career changer and not having any teaching experience. But this interview thread helped to prepare me. The interviewer was impressed and asked if would me with the principal. Of course I said yes. I meet with the principal. The principal and I discussed "Motivation" and school curriculum. Then she asked if I wanted to work for her. I told her I had to speak with my husband before I accepted. We decided yes, but I had to provide my current employer with a two weeks notice. The principal stated that she needed teachers right away. However, I had to turn down the position. I was rather disappointed. The principal sent my name into the Senior Director of Recruiting. I was shocked. I received another call about interviewing at a school that I'd applied for a couple months ago. This interview was with the principal, and two of the assistant principals. A lot of the questions were about motivation. I was hired after the intervew. But I'm awaiting background check and drug test to go through, before I can start.

Here are some questions that were asked for anyone who would like to know to expect.

1. What are your three most important reason for wanting to be a teacher? 2. how much do you want to know about your students in order to be most helpful to them? 3. what three things do you most want to know about our students? 4. What do you ned to knw in orer to begin your lesson planning for a class? 5. What four key components do you believe yo must include in your plan? 6. When you think about your students, in what major ways o you most want to influence their lives? 7. What two coreteaching strategies do you most use to achieve this result?

12. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

Mathwiz: How did you answer these questions? I want some ideas. Obviously your answers must have been pretty good because you got hired! let me know!

13. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Aug 13, 2006

Thanks for the help!

:thanks: I just wanted to say thank you for all the great advice on this thread. I had an interview last Monday and they offered me the job. Your questions/answers really helped. Now I am preparing as school starts this Wednesday. Thanks again! Here are some of the topics they asked me about during my interview to help the future job seekers:

1. Provide general experience in teaching
    2. What is the state curriculum called?
    3. How do I plan on communicating with parents?
    4. How would I use technology in the classroom?
    5. Give an example of when you went over and above to help a student
    6. The district requires a 90 minute reading block, describe what yours would look like.
    7. What is your classroom management plan?

14. MathWiz

MathWiz New Member

Aug 14, 2006

Here is what I can remember
    1.) I have a great love for children (I discussed my Sunday School teaching in detail), a passion for math (I discussed the way I would bring extra Math handouts and work home after school and teach my neighborhood friends), and I have a desire to influence the lives of young people. I've worked in Manufacturing for 6 years, and the end-product was a bottle of Roundup. Yes, I had a part in producing this product. However, I was uable to see what effect of the endproduct. I think by teaching Math, I can definitely see the influence of the end-product.
    2)I would like to build a relationship with my students. I would like to know what they have already learned, what they would like to learn during the semester. (Can't remember what else)
    4. & 5.) I received this answer from this site, which is basically what I have done in engineering. Objective, Teacig strategy, Revision of lesson plan, and evaluation.
    6.) I would like to be a role model for my students. In our society, many children look to celebrities (actors, singers, basketball & football players etc) as their role models. And these role models seem to always let our children down. I think I can be a realistic example of success for my students, who definitely will not let them down.
    7.) The two core teaching startegies that I would use - consistency and commitment. Consistent - being consistent in everything that I do. Commitment - I am here to be committed to influencing your life.

15. JuliaH

JuliaH New Member

Aug 14, 2006

Hi I am going in for an interview the day after tomorrow. Do you have any advice for me? First job and first interview ever! J

16. cmc3

cmc3 Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

Hi JuliaH. I went on my first interview three weeks ago and I was very nervous and, in retrospect, did not control my anxiety well during the interview. My second interview last Friday was much better. I had a good handle on what to expect. My answers were much more thought out. I dressed in a suit and I know that the Assistant Principal liked quite a few of my responses and my research on their district which I had conducted prior to the interview. The principal also seemed to like my answers but he was more moderate in his resposne.

I have to say that this thread had a lot to do with bolstering my confidence. I had not encountered it prior to my first interview but reading this thread thoroughly helped me think out plans I would realistically try to implement in my classroom and that helped me convey more confidence.

I have another interview this Friday. All three interviews have actually been for grade levels that my credential does not cover so I think I have been very lucky just to have these interview experiences. I hope posting these questions will, in turn, help other hopeful teachers.

During my first interview (for a high school English teaching position) I was asked:

Tell us about your background.
    How would you introduce a new novel to your class?
    What is your classroom management like?
    How would you incorporate technology into your classroom?
    How would you motivate a student who was struggling?
    What types of assessment would you use in your classroom?
    How would you involve parents with your class?
    What skills outside of the classroom do you think you could contribute to the school?
    What would your sophomore English teacher say about you? (This was at my alma mater)
    How would you have students incorporate technology into the classroom?
    What would you do to help ELLs in your class?
    How would you help your students develop their writing skills?

My second interview for a general 6th-8th position included questions such as:

Tell us about your background or working experience as a teacher besides the information on your resume.
    How would you set up your classroom management?
    What do you consider effective classroom instruction?
    What additional skills do you have that you can bring to the classroom?
    What is your strongest subject to teach?
    What are your areas of growth?
    How would you help ELLs in your classroom?

The first interview was set up by the Assistant Principal. Only later was I given to understand by the Principal that although they were actively interviewing people for the position, HR was as well and theirs would be the ultimate decision. They did not take note of any of my answers. They said that if they recommended me, they would submit the recommendation to HR but that I should call HR in two weeks to see if a decision had been made. They failed to tell me that the district office would be closed during those two weeks because they were all on vacation. As a result, I left brief messages twice inquiring about a decision in the hiring process and an e-mail to the principal reiterating my interest in the position only to receive no response.

The second interview was far more structured. I received a call from HR who set up the interview with the Principal and Assistant Principal. They took notes on my answers and were very specific. They knew exactly what they were looking for and said that I should be hearing from HR very soon because they actually start this Wednesday. I have yet to hear from them but it has only been one business day and they were interviewing quite a few people.

My third interview is on Friday for another high school English position. The instructional dean called to set up the appointment and already knows that I do not have a single subject credential. However, she also told me that she'd spoken to the credential technician about it already who suggested an emergency credential if I agreed to pursue a single subject credential so I know that they are flexible about it. In addition, she knows that my undergraduate degree is in English and that seemed to help some too.

At the interview, you should let them know that you are eager to learn from coworkers and other professionals. You are interested in staff development and learning more about the student community through advisement of clubs or organizations that are extracurricular. Research their district and ask questions that address concerns you might have or programs you would like more information on. This really made an impression on my second interview.

I hope this helps.

17. kermy

kermy Companion

Aug 15, 2006

on dressing for intviews i have been wearing my really nice shirts, should i be wearing pants instead? I have been getting question on classroom mangement and how i would teach reading and math as well and parent inter action. I looking for an elementary position. I think that this last interview went way better than all my other one. i wasn't as nervous and my responces were a lot longer.

18. cmc3

cmc3 Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

Kermy, I was told that it is always best to wear a suit to an interview. Both times, it has proven to be rather funny to me because at my first interview, the principal was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and at the second, the principal was wearing a bowling shirt. Both assistant principals were wearing shorts and tank-tops. So I was thoroughly overdressed compared to them. However, the suit is fail-safe because it conveys professionalism. Quite frankly, I've been a bit afraid to try something different. The lady who was going to be interviewed after me the second time was wearing a black V-neck sweater/white shirt combo and a skirt so I suppose it's okay to do so. When I researched interviewing tips on the Internet, it said to not cross your legs when wearing a skirt. That is all.

Also, on my last interview, I can relate. My responses were not as short as they were the first time and though I felt a bit nervous, it wasn't an obstacle the way it was before.

19. Pecas

Pecas Companion

Aug 15, 2006

I always wear a suit to my interviews. Mine is a three piece suit, and a skirt suit. I think I look so awesome in it, and because I feel that way, I feel super confident going into my interviews. It must have worked because I just got a job! The teachers on the panel told me I looked "so professional". (It also helped that the candidate in front of me was wearing a low cut tank top with black pants.)

Also:: A big reason the interview panel said they chose me is because I gave REAL answers, not "know it all" answers. It showed that I knew that I had areas I was not as knowledgeable in, but I wasn't afraid to seek help, either. (The job is for kindergarten and I have very little experience with kindergartners in a school setting. More of my experience is after school and recreational.)

Anyway, the biggest thing is to always look your best and feel your best.

20. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

Okay so I have an interview on friday morning for a job share 50% elementary teacher position. It's with a panel, so anyone have any ideas about what questions they might ask me for this position? Also, I'm wearing a suit, but I know this is a stupid question but..I've heard that you should always put your hair up for an interview. I don't know!

21. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

Cmc3: A hawaiian shirt, shorts, and tank tops? lol That is so funny. You think they would look a little more professional than that!

22. cmc3

cmc3 Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

Ctinevo1: I am in So. Cal as well. The first interview I went on, the temperature was very high. Midway through the interview, there was the sound of machinery creaking and the principal and assistant principal looked at each other and joked that if that was the air-conditioning failing, they were all going home right after.

I thought it was unusual as well that they were so informal but it is summer for them and they are established academic professionals who don't really have anything to prove, unlike myself. I have to say that their attire did give me a couple moments of amusement which relieved my anxiety just a bit.

Regarding the interview: I heard you should put your hair up as well but my hair is not quite shoulder-length making this impossible to do without looking messy. I leave my hair down, brushed, and pushed behind my ears in order to avoid getting in my face.

My credential is MS but I have yet to go on an elementary level interview so I'm not sure what to expect regarding questions. I'm sure there'd be some overlap regarding classroom management questions at any level. I always stick to five rules. Nerves and fear of a too-long answer usually means I only go over three to four of them. I go over consequences to assure administration that my first resort will not be to send every behavior issue to their door. I haven't, but I should, talked about positive reinforcement but the first time I was plain nervous (first interview), the second I had been talking long enough. I would expect questions on how you would involve parents in the class no matter the grade level.

I hope this helps you out. I think I responded to another of your posts on an additional thread. Good luck. I'm sure you'll do great.

23. misst1976

misst1976 Companion

Aug 15, 2006

Here's a couple of questions that i was asked...
    Describe your typical day.

How do you use critical thinking in your teaching?

What do you do with a child who doesn't want to do any work or a child who doesn't want to pay attention? (I was rambling on this one).

24. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 15, 2006

Since it's a job share, you will probably get several questions on communication, collaboration, and team work. Maybe some situational questions like "What would you do if you and your partner teacher disagreed on how to discipline a student?" Good luck!

25. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

Thanks Erin!
    Any other questions for a job share position? THis is my first interview so I want to be overly prepared!

26. nayaguru

nayaguru New Member

Aug 17, 2006

thank u all 4 the useful posts

I have been accepted by a school as a grade 5 teacher:) .Thank you all for posting interview questions and wonderful ideas for giving good impressive answers.I like to thank Aliceacc for starting this thread.I took your advice of being my best self while answering the question-tell us about yourself?
    Here are couple of questions i was asked-
    How would you encourage a child who doesn't like reading to develope reading habit?
    How would you introduce adverbs to grade 5 students?
    What do you think are the problems facing language teachers?

27. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Aug 17, 2006

Mine were:
    1. How do you teach to the different ability levels?
    2. Everyone has people that they do not get along with, what type of person do you not get along with?
    3. give 4 words that describe yourself.
    4. What is your weakness in the classroom and what do you plan on doing to improve that area.
    5. How do you handle a situation where a parent has come to me(the principal) complaining that his/her child said you did something/said something?
    There were more, but my mind is blank.

28. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 17, 2006

I had an interview today to be a building sub. Not what I want, but better than being a day to day sub again. One of the questions that stumped me was, "What would the parents and staff at XXX school say you should bring less of to the classroom?" I really fumbled over that one. How would you answer it? I really enjoyed speaking with the assistant Superintendent and he said it was a pleasure meeting me.

29. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 17, 2006

Congrats!

I'm teaching 5th grade as a new teacher this year and I'm loving it. Of course, school just started Monday, but so far, so good!!!

30. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Aug 17, 2006

Need help :

I need a good way of talking about my behvior/discpline plan

31. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 17, 2006

Hey, Kathy
    Why don't you work up some type of visual - listing the rules and the consequences. Just something generic, but definitely usable in a classroom.
    Also, more than discipline, talk about procedures and how the use of procedures will help limit discipline problems because the kids will know exactly what you expect of them.
    Finally, let the administration know that you won't send every problem to the office, you will handle 99 % of the problems in class!

Good luck

32. To Teach

To Teach Rookie

Aug 19, 2006

Aliceacc,
    Confrontations in the classroom go NOWHERE fast even in sixth grade (raging hormones). I would wait till after school or if need be I would send them to neighboring classroom to cool off then approach after class/school.

Funny you should mention stickers, one of my professors in college gave us stickers and it made everyone feel really great. I've used them when subbing and in the classroom and at first some of the students thought it was funny and stupid, but then when I didn't use them once they asked for them. Go figure. Doesn't matter the age, they really like getting them. My brother in law teaches high school and he tried it and his students liked them he still uses them. They are seniors.

33. nayaguru

nayaguru New Member

Aug 20, 2006

Thank you.The school starts in the second week of September.

34. kermy

kermy Companion

Aug 20, 2006

thanks that heped me alot. that was one of my q's i just couldn't get a handle on how to explain that was simple and to the point. :cool: thanks!

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2006

Sorry for the delay in response; I was on vacation with my husband and kids upstate for a week.:D

I taught HS math for 20 years-- mostly Juniors and Seniors, and was dept chairman when I left. I've spent the past 6 years home with my young kids. Now I'm returning to the same school-- to teach 6th and 7th graders:eek: (along with one Junior SAT prep class.)

You're going to love teaching HS math. No day is ever like the one before it! Let me know if I can be of any help to you!

36. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Aug 22, 2006

First off, thanks to Chance to teach for the awesome brochure idea and the powerpoint. :D I used it as a back bone of my own, and I could tell it wowed them yesterday. Thanks for all of hte awesome coverletter editorials, I combined those and got a doozy, even my bored and skeptic husband sat up and took notice!:D

Okay now, I am starting to get really antzy. Had my interview for a L/A 6th grade position in a school that is about 45 miles from my house(one way of course). Two people on one, sheesh I felt like I was walking into a firing squad, especially after the other candidate came out looking whipped and said," good luck ,, if you want it.":eek:
    I don't know what made him say that, but I do know they only interviewd 3 of us and he most likely isn't it. Not with that attitude! They asked 10 questions, and didn't give me any time to ask any of the carefully scrawled notes on my index cards that I took from the past 28 pages on this thread.:rolleyes: Don't know if that bodes well, or they were in a big hurry to get to their next meeting which I think was a student emergency.
    Questions were:What is your mission as a teacher? My mission is to make my classroom a safe enviroment where children are not afraid to stretch their wings and try new things for fear of belittlement or retrubution from others. My goal is to enable the students to learn HOW to ask questions and WHO/WHERE to look for the answers.(they seemed to like that one,which made me feel good, cause I'm really passionate about that.) I will work diligently with my fellow team mates to use whatever methods it takes to help each student reach their potential. Such as internet, group projects, field trips, contests, etc etc
    How will you incorporate the 4 block method in your middle school class?Gotta admit, I choked on this one, and must of turned every shade of red there is. I told them that I was familiar with the concept but was drawing a blank...:eek: :eek: :eek: On e of the AP's took mercy on me and gave me some hints, I was able to go on from there in VERY basic terms covering things like SSR, Word Walls,literature choices and some essay work/project work.
    How will you integrate the curriculums of the different subjects? As each chapter is approached, we would incorporate some of the vocabulary in each subject in our spelling/vocabulary. Working with my team members, I would correlate literature when possible with atleast one subject, such as Anne Frank and the Social Studies unit on WWII.
    What do you feel would be the most important attribute that you could bring to our school? Enthusiasm, dedication, loyalty and a burning passion to help others learn life skills through the school settings.
    They said I answered all their questions, but they didn't answer mine. We ran out of time, and they had to go on. I am hoping that I will hear soon from them. The principal said it could be start date as early as tommorrow, Wednesday. They do have a certified sub in there. There was another candidate that would of interviewed Tuesday, at 9:30 . The AP's said that they thought it could take as long as Friday. ARGGGGG! I hate waiting!! I left feeling incomplete. I don't know enough about this school or its staff members to make an educated guess. ::sigh::
    [FONT="Impact[B]"]On another note[/B].....[/FONT]
    Atleast I was able to find the cheapest gas in the upstate..... :p $2.49/gal.. I did go to the teacher supply store and drool. Which by the way, Pottery barn is having a special on legal size file holders that are covered with orange "duck" clothe. They are reenforced cardboard and cost only $0.97 !!!! So if you have a Pottery Barn near you, go over there and check it out!! They had some great bargains on clearance. A 30" x 48" table top for $9.99. No legs, but you can get those dirt cheap at Lowes/Homedepot. Or even Wallyworld, you can get those pedalstal that are about 3' tall as legs.

37. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 22, 2006

Glad to help someone else get a teaching job!!! Now if I could just do something about me getting one, life would be good!;)

38. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 22, 2006

Hey, what page is that one on? I missed the brochure and p.p. comments - and I need an edge out here in NJ... :p

39. Froggie

Froggie Rookie

Jan 9, 2007

So besides all of us running around interviewing and preparing for interviewing, does anybody have any suggestions as to where you can apply for jobs? Are ya'll doing it at districts or are there some national places I can send my resume into?

I've been looking for over a year and to tell the truth, I start to wonder if I'll ever get in somewhere.

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2007

Have you tried www.teachers-teachers.com And [url]www.monster.com?

And there are some cities crying out for teachers if you're willing to realocate-- Vegas for one.