Let's start some interview practice:

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Aliceacc, May 3, 2006.

1. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 31, 2006

Formal assessment tools are quizes, tests, homework.

Informal would be observation, essays, presentations, graphic organizers, retelling, etc.

Is homework formal or informal???

2. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 31, 2006

During guided reading, students can work at literacy centers, reading response journals, independent reading, or writing journals.

3. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 31, 2006

Tell me 3 content area standards your grade level students should have mastered by the end of the year?

That is a tough question...it means you need to memorize the standards for each grade level.

4. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 31, 2006

Today's first question: Why should I hire you over someone with more (or less, if appropriate) experience?

I'm dedicated to providing my students with engaging lessons that they can connect with. I'm passionate about teaching and model my enthusiasm for learning each and every day. I also have a degree in biology and bring a strong background to science lessons.

5. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 31, 2006

I'm prepping for an interview tomorrow...Anyone willing to throw me a question?

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2006

This one's a little different:

Heat like what we're currently experiencing makes teaching difficult. How would you cope with a June or September day like today in an un-airconditioned building? Would you make any changes in what you had planned to teach or how you would approach your day?

And, no, I've never gotten one like this in a real interview.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2006

For starters, I would do my best to make the kids as comfortable as possible. In my room, I would make sure I had a fan:) I don't think I would really change anything. Adults that work in offices have to make do, and I think kids have to get used to the real world too.

I would lighten up a little, and perhaps allow a break for drinks, but that's about it.

8. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 31, 2006

I would definitely allow students to have water bottles at their desks. I wouldn't change my plans, but take into consideration that it's hard to concentrate in the heat>

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2006

Darkness helps, even if it's only psychological, so I would turn off the lights if they could still see.

As to the fan or water bottles-- that would depend on school policy. I know in my school it's a no-no.

But I would offer rubber bands to any of the girls who hadn't thought to put their hair up.

10. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 31, 2006

Oh my gosh...no fans? I couldn't survive.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2006

Well, all the rooms have ceiling fans, but that's it. And the kids are in uniform, although they're allowed to remove their blazers when it gets unreasonably hot. (Not the male teachers though. In my school, as in my husband's, the guys HAVE to wear a jacket when they're in the classroom.)

We get off much easier: we must wear either a pants suit or stockings with a skirt.

12. TESOL_is_fun

TESOL_is_fun Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

a reply for "Do you have any questions for us?"

While I was interviewing, a friend told me that she always asked, "I was wondering whether you had any concerns about my qualifications for this position" when asked if she had any questions at the end of the interview. My friend has been teaching for many years now, but it took her a year and a half of subbing (and many interviews) before getting hired. Her reasoning was that although this question was more forward than most people would typically be, if you *really* wanted the job, you would want to find out the interviewer's concerns and do what you could to address them on the spot.

In my opinion, if you've got a great vibe going throughout the interview, you could forego asking that question. If you flubbed a question or aren't sure whether you've really sold yourself as well as you could (which happens to all of us, right??), this question could give you another opportunity to pitch yourself and end strongly. Anyway, hope that's helpful to someone!

Another point that my friend brought up is to look at interviews as a two-way transaction. Yes, they're interviewing you, but you're also interviewing them about the position/district. Do your homework and prepare thoughtful questions for them. They should be selling the school to you too.

13. jennabar

jennabar Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

What would be a good question to ask at a school that you know a lot about already? I don't want to ask some of the standard ones because they are information that I should already know.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2006

You could ask about their new teacher mentoring program.

Or what extra curricular activities they offer, since you've always loved participating in ___ and would be happy to share that love with any interested students.

Do they run any field trips with kids of that level?

As a math teacher, I would ask about the calculator policy.

You could ask about state testing-- what's done at which grade-- and how they've performed in the past.

15. jennabar

jennabar Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

I like the one about the teaching mentor program....
    As far as testing, I facilitated the tests last year and I also planned and prepared for 2 over night field trips at grade level.
    These are all wonderful questions that I will add to me list, but I don't want to look silly asking a question I already know the answer to.

16. SeattleGal

SeattleGal Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

One of the questions that I used from this thread was "what do you personally like about working at this school?" At my interview, there was a pause and then the principal commented, "that's a really good question" and all three interviewers took some time trying to give me a realistic, but positive, response. I was worried that it might seem a little bit of a fluffy question, but I got some pretty deep answers which really gave me a lot of insight into the school and which were great to refer to in my thank you note. It also ended the interview on a great note - and I got the job. :)

17. mathquest

mathquest Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

Seattle Gal,
    I really like your question. I will use it in my next interview.

18. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 2, 2006

Mathquest- are you elementary?

19. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 3, 2006

Kindergarten Interview Questions:

A few others have been asking about K interview questions. The panel I interviewed with today gave me a sheet with the questions printed, so I'll pass them on to whomever wants them!

Briefly describe your background and experience in teaching that qualifies you for this position. Do you have some special educational talents or hobbies which would add to your qualifications?

How would you plan your instructional activities for the year, month week?

What are the most important factors to consider in teaching a good lesson? How do you know if your lesson goals have been achieved?

How do you assess student progress?

How do you motivate students and meet the needs of students with different abilities in your class?

How do you integrate technology into your lessons?

Describe your discipline philosophy. How would your classroom operate? How would you handle a student who is a consistent behavior problem?

What do you see as the role of instructional aides and/or parent volunteers in your classroom? What do you see as the role of a principal in an elementary school?

What is your greatest strength as a teacher? Area of need? As you consider your teaching ability, please place yourself on a scale of 1-10. What would you have to do to become a 10?

Describe your system of communication with students and parents.

What does being part of a team mean to you and how do you communicate with staff?

Give a 1 minute summary about why we should pick you.

Do yo have any questions for us?

Wow, this seems like a lot now that I look back! I hope this gives some ideas to help others prepare!

20. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2006

Erin- Thank you for sharing!!!

21. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 3, 2006

Hope the interview went well! Those are some tough questions.

22. mn teacher

mn teacher Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

Here is another one:

What is the thing people most misunderstand about you?

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2006

I tend to talk reallyreallyreally fast, even for a New Yorker. They tend to say "huh??"

24. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2006

Me too:(

25. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2006

I don't know if I would say this, but I think people misunderstand quiet for uninterested or worse... snobby. I tend to be shy and it takes me some time to warm up. However, once I am comfy you can't shut me up.

26. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2006

I just wanted to add, that I feel very good about talking about an approach to discipline/management. I just completed Teacher Effectiveness Training and we learned all about different methods of Conflict Resolution. I found this info to be very practical and useful. There is one method called Method III which if used correctly makes a lot of sense. I am trying to get my hubby to do the laundry.. hmmm.. maybe I'll try Method III on him... :D

TET is fabulous.. check it out!!!

27. mrs.teacher5

mrs.teacher5 Companion

Aug 4, 2006

I got a couple of questions for you guys...I believe that these are questions that will be asked of me in my interview on Tuesday:

How is teaching a second grader different than teaching a fourth grader?

Tell me some of the advantages of teaching students who are grouped heterogeneously and homogeneously.

28. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 4, 2006

Miss Frizzle - was your training through a school? Or is it a program you signed up for independently?:confused:

29. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2006

30. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 4, 2006

Thanks for the lead!! I'll look at the site right now. If my son doesn't notice I'm on the computer that is! Why do kids psychically know that you are on the computer, phone or something that requires concentration?

31. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2006

32. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 4, 2006

I sometimes get the same thing. I like to observe first and then i warm up. I also get really nervous for interviews, at least recently. A while ago I went on an interview and I really wasn't nervous. The principal just started chatting when I walked in his office and it was really low key. It was also a position I wasn't sure about from the get go, but in the middle of it he commented on how well I was doing and asked me if I was nervous. I said no, and he said he didn't think I was. Unfortunately, that was a school with one teacher per grade, and they hired within. It was good that he let me know up front and continued the interview in case something else came up.

33. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 4, 2006

LOL...you probably sound smart and they can't keep up!

34. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Aug 7, 2006

My husband and I are going to be moving to a new city in a couple of months. So, I have been working on getting on the substitute teaching lists in that area.

Today, I received a "Substitute Teaching Application" in the mail. I think that they just took their regular application and said that it was for Substitute Teaching.

Anyway, any help with these questions would be appreciated!!!!!

1. What are your 3 most important reasons for wanting to be a teacher?

2. How much do you want to know about your students in order to be most helpful to them?

3. What 3 things do you most want to know about your students?

4. What do you need to know in order to begin your lesson planning for a class?

5. What 4 key components do you believe you must include in your plan?

6. When you think about your students, in what major ways do you want to influence their lives?

7. What 2 core teaching strategies do you most use to achieve this result?

35. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 7, 2006

36. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Aug 7, 2006

[/QUOTE]Where are you moving to?[/QUOTE]
    We are moving to the Columbus, OH area.

Some of those questions seem so silly - for a substitute teacher!

37. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 7, 2006

Where are you moving to?[/QUOTE]
    We are moving to the Columbus, OH area.

Some of those questions seem so silly - for a substitute teacher![/QUOTE]
    Good luck on your move.
    It does sound like a regualr application.
    I don't remember if I got the questions online, or if they were off of one of the applications I filled out. Maybe the PA REAP website?

38. Mrs.V

Mrs.V Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

Hey everyone! It has been a while since I logged onto the thread. I wanted to let you know that I got a job at my old school. I am teaching third grade for this year, and he is hoping to have a job for me for next year that is permanent. I hope that everyone is well. Good luck to those of you still going through interviews! Believe me I know that it is stressful. I had to interview to get the job at my old school.

39. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Aug 8, 2006

I had an interview today - and got the job!!!! I thought I'd share the questions I was asked - at least those I can remember. They were all loaded questions with multiple parts:

1. What is your educational background and how does it relate to teaching at this school? Also, how dedicated are you to our school?

2. What is your definition of a multi-age classroom, how would you set one up, and what are the benefits?

3. What is your homework policy, how would you set it up, and communicate your policies with both students and parents?

4. How do you know what your teaching aligns with the standards?

5. What is your philosophy of discipline, and at what point do you ask the principal for assistance?

5. How do you give grades and how do you communicate grades to parents?

6. How do you know if your students are learning what your teaching? What assessment techniques do you use?

7. How do you teach a diverse set of students and make sure they all acheive?

8. What is your experience with Dibbles testing and how would you use it to create leveled groups?

9. Tell me about the reading program you would set up, specifically what programs and strategies you would use?

10. What is your familiarity with EveryDay Math, and explain how you would normally teach a math lesson.

That's all I can remember. I think there may have been 1 or 2 more. =) Hope this helps!

40. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

Zoerba, Good for you!

GlendaLL, Those were the exact same questions I was asked at a screening interview for a permanent teaching position. The last one about core teaching strategies really threw me. That was one I totally did not prepare for although now the answer comes to me very quickly. I didn't get called back :(