Let's start some interview practice:

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Aliceacc, May 3, 2006.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 22, 2006

I said they would
    silent read their guided reading book
    work on scholastic news
    worksheet that cover the guided reading book
    towards the end of the year read short chapter books and fill out a premade book report form.
    Oh also, fill out a form that states what the book was they read and why they would or would not recommend it to someone else (this is for all yr).
    Some how I talked about dictionary skills.
    I'll have to go find my notes for the rest.
    I think I also said I would have them work on Journals during this time.
    I also talked about interactive writing and working on expanding sentences.

2. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2006

Thanks Jaime,

I had thought of a lot of these too:) The whole thing with these interviews seems to be Literacy, and more literacy, so that is going to be my main focus... hopefully some interviews will pop up.

3. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 23, 2006

Some schools use the 6 trait writing model. You can check it out on the web if you're not familiar with it. Definitely mention the editing process and writing conferences.

4. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 23, 2006

This list isd faboulous. My interview is tommorow so thanks

5. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

Jul 23, 2006

Last week I interviewed with an elementary school...I guess they liked me, because I got called back the next day for a second interview! It's for First Grade!

What kind of questions might they ask in a second interview?
    Are there specific things in First Grade that I need to be prepared to answer?

I'm unsure of the skills that kids might posess coming into first grade. Where do I start?

I just graduated with a masters in elementary ed. and have no formal teaching experience (other than preschool)...so what will make them want to hire me over someone with more experience?

I really want this job. It's ideal. I want to sound like I actually know what I'm talking about. But, I guess they see something in me that they really like.

:)

6. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 23, 2006

My interviews were for High School but for both second interviews it was similar to the first just with another person. I have seen some posters say they were asked to provide a lesson plan or give a demo lesson to a panel. Good Luck with the next round!

7. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 23, 2006

look on the district website to see if they have standards listed. There should be standards for what you'd teach in 1st grade, and hopefully for KK too. All kids probably won't go to KK, but a lot of them will have.

8. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 23, 2006

Hi, my little one is headed to first grade this year. He can read a little, is counting by 2,5,10 and knows a little about the "circle of life". All colors, numbers, and letters are recognized and has little trouble telling us the sounds that each letter makes. He uses what we call Kindergarten writing - sounding out words that he writes, without us correcting them all.
    I hope it helps a little!!!
    Good luck musicmaker!!

9. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

Jul 23, 2006

I found the standards, but I can't find what the name is of the curriculum.

10. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 23, 2006

Sorry, can't help you there. Schools in our district don't all use the same curriculum, so it's not listed anywhere.

11. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

Jul 23, 2006

Gotcha, thanks! :)

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2006

As to your first question:
    My daughter is also entering 1st. She can read about 40 "sight words", which means she can read a "Level 1' book. (Especially good are the Step into Reading books-- they seem to coincide with our district's choice of sight words.) She can do some math and has seen other subjects, but the primary focus was on reading. She's more than halfway through the 15 books she's going to read for the (optional) summer reading program. (with 2 parents who are teachers, she and her brother never had a shot at "optional :p )

As to your main question: what will make them hire you.

They'll hire you if you seem to want it more than everyone else. The experience they can give you; the love of kids and of teaching will make or break the interview. They'll hire you if you seem open to their way of doing things, without being overly impressed with yourself. They'll hire you if you believe you are the right person for the job; if you don't have the confidence in yourself, there's no reason for them to. They'll hire you if you act and react as a professional; they know they're seeing the "best" you and if it's not up to par, they'll wonder about the "typical" you. So if you walk in unprepared and uninformed, they'll assume that you'll do the absolute minimum during the year.

They'll hire you if you're capable of holding up your end of a conversation. If you have difficulty conversing with 4 or 5 adults, they're going to wonder how you'll do with a classroom full of 6 year olds.

So get a good night's rest, and go in there and "sell" the best you!

Good luck!

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 23, 2006

Usually in first grade you start really teaching reading comprehension and strategies. Also, fluency. Did you know the average child needs to see a word at least 14 times to remember it and the struggling reader needs to see it over 40 times. I thought that was interesting!

14. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 23, 2006

That is interesting...I guess that's why we have word walls and flashcards!

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 23, 2006

You know I learned that at that Read First conference I went to. I actually mentioned it at two out of my three interviews and they all found it interesting.

16. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 23, 2006

Good points Alice...you're a true pro!

17. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 23, 2006

Help anyone out there who wnats to ask me questions to help prepare for my interview tommorow contact me at either

teacheranimals15 -aol messenger
    brendadylanMcKay@yahoo messenger
    kathy2215 at MSN messenger

18. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 24, 2006

WOW! I've spent way too many hours reading this entire post! I also copied down the interview questions onto a word document. I'm planning on writing them down on flashcards and quizzing myself. Principals come back to the schools next Monday, so I'm planning on going to each school and dropping off my cover letter/portfolio/resume/references.

Here are some questions I was asked at my prescreening interview:

1. What would you do if you returned from an absence and your guest teacher gave your class a bad review?

2. How do you know what you're teaching your students is what they need to know?

3. How do you know if your students are actually learning?

4. What would you do if a parent of a different culture made a complaint?

5. Tell me 3 content area standards your grade level students should have mastered by the end of the year.

6. How do you differentiate your lessons?

That's all I can remember at the moment. But anyone want to give a stab at these? :)

19. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

With my second interview coming up, should I add any extra things to my portfolio?

I'm thinking about adding a "Back to School" newsletter for first grade...I'm not sure what else, I need ideas...

20. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 24, 2006

I took an example of my weekly newsletter, a handout with my procedures and transitions plan, a copy of my class rules, a sample of a classroom schedule, a drawing of my ideal classroom setup, and some sample 1st day activities.

21. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 24, 2006

I have made mini portfolios to leave behind after my interview. I just added some new things so now they include:
    resume
    references
    copy of license
    5 letters of recommendation
    sample parent newsletter
    sample back to school parent brochure (procedures/policies, etc)
    sample 5th grade math lesson on probability that I created

22. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 24, 2006

How did you write up your procedures. I'm trying to get mine down on paper, and i'm not sure if I should just write step by step instructions or what. What worked for you?

23. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 24, 2006

There is thread called management/discipline strategies. If you look at my response, it has exactly what I put in my "leave behind" folder about procedures. I'm putting the link on here, but I'm not sure it will take you directly to that thread.

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=22509

24. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 24, 2006

Thank you - that's how I did it as well. Just listed it all out in a bulleted format. Appreciate the input so much! Let's me know I'm on the right track!
    :) Now if it will just get me that coveted teaching position.:p

25. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 24, 2006

you and me both!

26. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 24, 2006

had my 1st interview and even though i diddn't get it because 27 applicants and one position It was good practice. ( pages of questions almost a hour

27. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 24, 2006

I'm sorry you did not get it, Kathy.:(
    Wow! Long interview! Who interviewed you?

28. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 24, 2006

the principal, and 7 other teachers

29. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 24, 2006

congratulations!! Its always good to hear when someone has had a great interview(or two). Now comes the fun part. ... making it your own! Don't forget to take before ,during and after pictures, and record your thoughts atleast 1x/month if not more if it is possible. You'll look back on this experience later, smile, cry and at times shake your head with embarassment.
    Take lots of good notes, and don't be afraid to borrow, beg and steal ideas from the veterans in the school.
    One last thing.... How'sa bout blowing some of that luck this way???
    munchkin

30. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 24, 2006

• As you can see from my resume…
    • Was an officer of the PTA, parent involvement committee, science fair committee
    • Was part of the reading first grant and receive over 80 hrs of reading instruction
    • Are DRA, Wilson, foundations trained
    • Part of a math collegial group
    • Worked with a variety of grade levels with children, including those with disabilities
    • Team player
    • Like to assist in after school programs

31. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 24, 2006

• The first thing is to have procedures and rules in place to help prevent the problem
    • Then when one occurs the teacher needs to follow through with the plan she has in effect
    • I also believe if you have high expectations in affect then the students may be less likely to become a behavioral problem
    • One thing I have learned with experience is to handle the problem in private, when both the teacher and the student are calm
    • I also learned that it is important to let the student speak as well as the teacher
    • I think you also need to be consistent and fair with every problem and every child
    • I further believe that almost 95% of the problems can be handled in the classroom instead of sending them out

32. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 24, 2006

• I think it is vital to keep all family members involved in their child’s life
    • I do weekly newsletters, positive phone call homes, thank you letters to parents who help out, reminder calls,
    • I also ask for volunteers in the classroom
    • I try to have a lunch at the end of dec and at the end of the year to thank the parents who have helped out
    • I have also been a member and officer of the pta and the parent involvement committee
    * i also encouage parents to contact me either through a ntoe, email or the phocne with any concerens

33. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 25, 2006

• I have two weaknesses, one is the technology gap that I have shorted over the summer by working on the computer an teaching my self things,
    • The other is overplanning and getting side tracked

34. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 25, 2006

How do you motivate students?[/QUOTE]

How do you motivate students?
    • I think you motivate students by getting to know them and their interests
    • You also need to find out why they do not want to comply
    • Is the work to easy or top hard
    • Then maybe create a behavior program with them to complete the task they need to do
    • But never argue with the child

35. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 25, 2006

• I can bring more to the reading field with the latest training I have received
    • Also I am passionate about what I do and will be trying many different way to accommodate all of the students
    • I am continually looking for more workshops to greater my knowledge
    • I am patient and understanding
    • I am dependable with 9 years at weg and 31/2 years in the city I continue on projects that I start

36. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 25, 2006

• I think children are not receving good role models in many cases and are becoming a product of problems instead a productive member of society

37. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 25, 2006

there was only 27 applicants? Or they interviewed 27? That would be a lot to interview. Good luck I hope you find something soon. This interviewing and waiting is way to stressful. We all just need jobs!

38. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 25, 2006

Oh that is so true kathy. I like that answer.

39. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 25, 2006

Does any one have more practice questions? Or do you think we have covered most of them?

40. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 25, 2006

And that was a 1st interview? I always thought the first would be with just one person. :eek: