Let's start some interview practice:

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Aliceacc, May 3, 2006.

1. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 17, 2006

Bitsey, congratulations

2. SeattleGal

SeattleGal Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

Congrats, Bitsey! You give me hope! I, too, am one of those "older teachers" who is beginning to wonder if I'll ever get a job! I went to one interview with a couple of teachers and a principal and it felt kinda weird as I knew I was a little older than the principal (who had just had a baby) and probably 10-15 years older than the two teachers. I didn't get the job.

Kilaani, good luck on the job search. You mentioned SPU. Have you also been looking in the Seattle area? Tough market. Yes, I have heard about Love and Logic - it is a good system and used by a lot of schools up here. I described how I viewed discipline in my last interview and the principal grinned and said, "Have, you read love and logic? At my nod, she grinned and replied, "I could tell!" I did get the second interview!

Just got back from second interview. Very nervous and excited. Very diverse school and I really liked the people I interviewed with. They said they should know in the next couple days. Schools in this area don't start until late August/early September so if I (hope, hope, hope) get the job, I'll have some time to prepare.

Norogo - good wishes coming your way and goopp - hoping that lots of people with kids register SOON! :)

Here's an interview question that I have gotten a few times - "How do you design your lessons/differentiate your teaching to ensure all students (i.e., struggling to gifted) are learning?

3. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 17, 2006

I got that question too! I answered that you kind of have to feel out each student in your class first in order to know whether they need special attention then you have to take extra steps by making yourself aval. etc.

Not the best answer, but I got the job. Good luck!

4. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 17, 2006

I guess that means it was the right answer!!!
    congrats

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2006

Yeah Bitsey!!! Tell us about it!!!

6. bitsey

bitsey Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

Its 5th grade in Utah. If anyone wants to relocate to Utah the Jordan school district has many job openings. They are growing so fast they can hardly keep up. Utah doesnt pay very well but then thats not why we are in this field is it?? Anyway of you want to check it out go to http://www.jordandistrict.org/ and go to the bottom where it says employment. Good luck

7. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 17, 2006

Again I wanted to thank everyone who participated in the question/answer practice. It was a great resource and fully prepared me for interviews. I ended up being offered both positions I interviewed for! It was a tough decision but I have secured a teaching position for this coming fall. I am excited and nervous since I will be a first year teacher going the Alternative Certification route. Couldn't of done it without this tread!

I would like to also send congrats to others who have ended their job search and also wish those still looking good luck!

8. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 17, 2006

Congratulations By the way, what grade did you choose? What was the alternative choice?:cool:

9. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 17, 2006

Good Luck and keep posting your thoughts

10. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 17, 2006

I will be teaching High School Math. Alternative Certification is where you get a degree (ie. I have a BA in Math) without going through the school of education. After graduation you enroll with an approved Alternative Certification Program in order to do your internship and become fully certified after your internship year which is also your first year. I don't know if all states offer such alternatives but I know that many do.

11. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 17, 2006

My name is Kathryn Biedrzycki. I have been teaching for three and a half years. I was a teacher's aide before that however I knew I always wanted to be a teacher. When I went to school, children who did not learn the same were considered stupid and pu "away" and I do nto wnat a child ver to feel that way. I want to make a difference in someone;s life.

12. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 18, 2006

That's good Kathy. Maybe you could define what you mean by "children don't learn the same way". :p

13. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 18, 2006

I might consider not using the word stupid since a lot of schools believe that every child can learn it just takes that extra mile to get them there. Maybe use below average? Closing the statement with "I want to make a difference in someone's life." might lead to a follow up question regarding how you plan to accomplish that or a possible scenario? Just my thoughts. ;)

14. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 18, 2006

Wish me luck tomorrow is my interview and I am stressed beyond belief. Any words of encouragement or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

15. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 18, 2006

Thank you. I plan to help children meet and exceed the standards by teaching to a variety of the mutiple intellenfies. I also do guided reading groups to help the students who styruggle in reading make progress. I think my expereicne as a special education teacher will allow me to be able to modify and change assignemtns so that all students are successful. I also am willling to meet studnets before and after school as well as during my lunch if neccessary for the studnents to be successful.

16. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 18, 2006

Good Lucj opn your interview. Be yourself and if the job is meant for you you will be fine.

17. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 18, 2006

I think that not all children learn by coping notes and remmebering facts. As a teacher we need to expose studnets to differnt ideas such as hands on activities. Creating assignments and letting them choose to either write a report , a rap song or a poem on a topic. Sometimes we need to teach with different mutiple intellegencies in mind.

18. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 18, 2006

One of the questions I was asked yesterday at my interview was about my behavior management plan. I think he really liked my answer. I told him that I planned to keep my class so busy, they wouldn't have time to misbehave. I stressed that we would have procedures for everything, from transitions between lessons, to walking in the hall, to using the restroom, etc. I told him that I would expect the children to be well behaved at all times, and that I felt like most children try to live up to expectations, so I didn't foresee many discipline problems. If a student did have a problem with following procedures, I would deal with it on a case by case basis, with the individual child. If, with a parent's help, we couldn't solve whatever the problem was, then and only then would I ask for his intervention. He seemed to be impressed with my answer, so I wanted to share.

19. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

I guess I'm a little late in this thread, but I'm going on my first interview tomorrow, so I need some practice... "So, tell me about yourself..." ;)

As you can see from my resume, I recently graduated with a masters in education and also have a bachelors in music. While going to school, I have worked full time at a jewish preschool for about three years. There, I was a preschool teacher assistant and also as a shadow teacher for a special needs child.

During the summers when I was in college, I worked as a camp counselor, where I had the opportunity to work with children from ages 8-13, special needs adults, at-risk children (who have incarcerated parents), and served the elderly.

Working full time and going to school has been quite a challenge, and it has built up my endurance to flourish in challenging situations. As a new educator, I desire to work at a school where I will be challenged. Both parents and student alike recognize that I truly care about them and they respond in kind. As a teacher, I have a lot to give - I will bring a lot of energy to the classroom, work well in collaborating with others, creativity, patience, and loyalty.

The hardest thing that I've had to overcome is shyness. I recognized that in myself and have consciously pushed myself to try new things, such as swing dancing as I started taking lessons last summer. Through working with a wide-variety of individuals and experiences, I have become a confident and caring educator. I have a knack for observing others and knowing how to work with them. Aside from that, I enjoy music, art, animals, the outdoors, traveling, cooking, decorating, and scrapbooking.

So, what if they ask about my greatest weakness? What would you say to that?

What about latest educational trends?

How would you challenge a slow learner and an advanced learner in the same class?

My biggest question that I want to be prepared for is classroom management. How would you deal with a disruptive student during class? Personally, I would never demean a child in front of the whole class, but I also don't want to disrupt the class by having to take time to deal with the behavior at that moment. What would you do?

Thanks!

20. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 18, 2006

Good luck, Wonder!!! you'll do great!

21. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 18, 2006

Thanks for the encouragement
    Has anyone experienced having to tell the panel of a specific lesson plan that would link to the content standards? Im in California but I am looking at them and am studying for a 2nd and a 3rd grade position avaliable.

22. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 18, 2006

GOOD LUCK! I believe this thread got me my offers and I could not of done it without finding it! Since you are here I have no doubt you are prepared... maybe over prepared! Which is good since it boots your confidence! Show them you know your stuff and impress the daylights out of them! :p

23. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 18, 2006

I usually try to make this a positive. Something like, my biggest weakness is that I tend to overplan activities. I always seem to plan more than we can get done in a day...but, (little self depreciating laugh here) at least my students are to busy to misbehave. May stave off that behavior management question too.

24. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 18, 2006

What are other ways of talking about weaknerss such as oranization

25. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 18, 2006

I fortunately never got this question. After thinking about it while preparing for my interviews I planned on using that I tend to accept extra responsibilities before considering their impact on my current responsibilites. I tend to get excited about being a part of what has been offered and I have to remind myself that I need to think about it before accepting. Since I know that about myself I do it less often and make sure to consult with my family about any decision I make that will impact their lives before giving a definate answer to any additional responsiblities asked of me.

Through my preparations I came across a number of references to Harry Wong's "The First Days of School". Luckily I had since both interviews I went to they asked if I had heard of him and the book. Following that they wanted to know if I had read it yet. After reading the book it gives great ideas on how to secure control of a classroom from the first day and how to remain consistent in executing your policies.

Good Luck Hope it helps! :D

26. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 18, 2006

How about :

What is your teaching style?

I was stumped on this one and I sort of stumbled my way through it. How would you all answer this?

27. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 18, 2006

Given my content area is math I said that unfortunately math is drill and practice but I feel it is important to not only teach and assess the basic procedures and concepts but try to incorporate examples that touch on mathematics being used in the real world. For example with statistics and probability you can use real sports data from particular sports that are of interest to the students. Things students are interested in help motivate them into learning subjects they might not normally have an interest in. Also I think it is important to discover what type of learners are in the class so that I can incorporate as many different methods as possible to accommodate their learning styles.

Using the word assess always lead into a follow up question of what methods would you use to assess their learning aside from tests, quizzes, and homework.

28. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

Yeah, thanks for the tips.

I have been reading "The First Days of School." It's like a bible for teachers...everything you would want to know and sometimes don't think about. I like how Mr. Wong introduces how things should go on the first day of school. I certainly didn't learn that in my graduate classes.

It's definitely worth the read.

29. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 18, 2006

Your welcome! I agree about Mr. Wong's book. It is a great resource in my mind! I am by far not an expert but I do believe that if you share what makes/made you successful then it might help others do the same! Best of Luck!

30. SeattleGal

SeattleGal Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

Good Luck, Wonder! I did one interview in California before I found out I was moving to Washington. The one question that I got that I was stumped on was "what four components must every lesson have?" I stumbled my way through, but clearly botched the question. I was long term subbing at the time and asked a large group in the teacher's lounge and there certainly was no agreement on the right answer. Since then, I have really researched this question and have found out about Madeline Hunter's seven components. So here is my understanding... you first determine where kids are at - what they know. Then you look to your standards to see what they need to learn. Then you look at your objectives (what will they be able to do at the end) - next comes the "anticipatory set" the so-called "hook" to get kids engaged - then comes the teaching part (includes input, modeling and checking for understanding) and then guided practice, closure (taking all the small pieces that you learned and bringing them back to the big picture) and finally independent practice. I have to admit - by now I know them without really thinking about the order but when I first started interviewing I could only remember the order by using a pneumonic sentence in my head. I think what interviewers are looking for is whether or not you understand the whole process of the lesson as well as looking for the concept of gradual release of responsibility

As far as my philosophy of teaching - I call it my three Cs - challenging, caring and changing. (By changing I mean that I adjust my teaching and content to children's needs and growth).

Best of luck. Interviewing is so stressful! Let us know how it goes!

31. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 19, 2006

Yes, I just bought this book this week . I really like the way that they give examples of an effective teach and also an ineffective teacher. The book is well thought out and concepts are precise and easy to understand. I would recommend this book.

32. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 19, 2006

When I taught in Killeen, Texas the superintendent gave each new person a SIGNED (by him not Harry) copy of the Harry Wong book. I thought it was so nice. I always review it in the summer before school starts to revibe me. I think he is amazing!

33. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jul 19, 2006

What are three characheretistics that describe yourself?

34. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 19, 2006

I've gotten this one... I said 1) responsible, as in I keep myself organized and I hold myself accountable for my actions and words which is something I want to pass on to my students. 2) energetic, because I like to keep myself busy and it helps me interact with young students and get them excited. 3) curious, I always want to know how things work, etc, and I never want to stop learning.

I guess those were decent responses. I'm curious (see, it's true, haha) as to how others would respond to this one!

35. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 19, 2006

They caught me off guard with that one and I said, Passionate (about the students and my subject), Organized (gotta be!) and I can't remember the last one.

36. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 19, 2006

I think I would say one of these things but not sure which ones.
    1. Passion 2. Strong communicator/listener 3. Collaborative 4. life-long learner 5. Commitment 6. Caring 7. Positive Attitude 9. Ethical (honest, trustworthy)

Which ones do you think are the strongest?

37. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 19, 2006

Hi I'm back from my interview. I was so nervous but I hung in there. They told me that they would be letting people know (the two ) got the jobs. The one question that I was unsure if they would ask and that was the previous post about knowing and teaching a content standard. Thank goodness I did my homework on that one. They also asked me if I had any questions so I felt it was my chance to show that I do maintain interest in our community by asking if because of a new housing project in our small community, How will your school and/or the district prepare for future students coming from there? After his response He told me that was a great question. Another question I brought up was about their recent rise in the 2005 API scores and was there any new strategies or methods applied to help raise this years test results. Thanks everyone for such being so nice and encouraging me. If I don't for some reason get the job, I felt it was a great learning experience that I can now build on and become better at in time. Keep your fingers crossed though.

38. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 19, 2006

Fingers are crossed and I know you will be fine!

39. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 19, 2006

Jaime,
    I think these are all good, but I would probably pick passionate, collaborative, and positive attitude. Good luck tomorrow!!:)

40. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 19, 2006

Passionate is one of those trigger words. Makes sure your passionate when you say it, because one of the biggest things they look for in teachers is teachers that love kids. Good luck!