Let's start some interview practice:

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Aliceacc, May 3, 2006.

1. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 15, 2006

I browsed a bit of your forum:
    I am not currently interviewing but if the enrollment at our school continues to decline I might be next summer.

I interviewed at four schools here and I had a different experience at each interview. I think what helped me land my current job was my research about the position! Of the four schools I interviewed at 2 I would have been happy with and 2 I would not have accepted the job at. From one of the schools I didn't accept a job at I will tell you the bizarre interview question that landed me down a 30-45 minute conversation of craziness.... In case you happen to come upon it...

Anyway I was asked to name some of my hobbies...

Then I was told that I was teaching a class and getting all of the standards etc in with my hobby and the kids were loving it and the parents were happy but the administration came in and said you must stop teaching this way tomorrow! What would you do and how would you explain this to irate parents and to your students? Everything I said was "wrong" according to the asst principal and I just wanted to LEAVE-- but he kept me there for 2 hours and then said call back if I wanted a second interview. I called back and declined--- didn't seem like it would be a good fit for me. Turns out some of my children who had siblings at the school and the parents wanted them OUT! So glad I didn't end up there!

2. MissB

MissB Companion

Jul 15, 2006

So what was your reply to the hobby/standards question? I wonder if I would have said the same thing you did?

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 15, 2006

I said I would direct the parent to the administration--- that was apparently the wrong answer for the situation---

4. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 15, 2006

Wow, talk about orientation being at the last minute. I had hoped you'd have a little extra time to absorb what they tell you.
    That being said, I am sure that you will be great. Just remember to be flexible. If something is not working, it's ok to say so and to redirect!!

5. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 15, 2006

Hey, Chicago!
    I'm sure they loved that! Most administrators don't want you to send ANY problems their way... (something I've just learned recently from some of the books I've been reading).
    Heaven forbid they should handle a problem for the teacher!:rolleyes:

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 15, 2006

Yeah my answer at this day in age after teaching for a few years may be you hardly come into my room when I invite you into my room so I would have no problem quickly changing the subject and pretending I was teaching something else :)

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 15, 2006

Yeah--- If I have a big enough problem I'll just pick up the phone and dial 9-1-1-

8. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 15, 2006

or is that 9-9-1-1?

9. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 15, 2006

Perfect!!! :D

10. SeattleGal

SeattleGal Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

Hi everyone...new to A to Z and have been reading some of the discussions. I stayed up way too late the night before my interview reading through this thread (which was yesterday) but I think reading about how everyone else is going through the same anxiety, same questions, same befuddlement, etc. really helped my confidence. The interview went extremely well and I am guardedly optimistic. It HAS been a long haul... wanted to teach after getting my credential in CA, then decided to wait a year as my district discontinued buses and that really impacted my family's schedule, then tried to teach but local district not hiring, so did long term subbing, then, WOW, hiring started up again in my district (both master teachers advocating to their principals to hire me) and then husband unexpectedly gets a great promotion to WA, then no contacts, no job, extremely tight market (one HR person told me they average 90 applications per job), unfamiliar curriculum, and no knowledge of how things work up here. Now, five interviews later and a year of subbing and I am really, really, hopeful that this may be the end of the road. Thanks for all the advice, everyone. It's nice to find a place where there is so much kind support!

11. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 16, 2006

Wow! What a year of changes and upheavals. I wish you the best of luck, and hope that your interview was successful! Did they give you a timeline?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  12. MissB

MissB Companion

Jul 16, 2006

Good luck Seattlegal, and welcome! :)

13. SeattleGal

SeattleGal Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words of support. It has been a crazy time. Just heard that I made it to round two. Second interview tomorrow. All my phalanges are crossed!

14. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 16, 2006

Good luck!

15. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 16, 2006

More interview practice

Okay I have an interview this Wednesday and I am unclear of some termiology What is the term Power Standards mean? Does this mean the standards that are the most important?
    Also I've got three more interview questions to add to the list:

How would you coordinate with the ELL Coordinator in your school?

What is something that you find with teaching is a STRUGGLE for YOU?

and lastly,

What if you were on the playground assuming there is suppose to be another teaching there supervising with you, and something happens on the playground, also assume you have walkie talkies What would you do?

Thanks

16. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 16, 2006

What is an ELL Coordinator?

In teaching, I struggle with the fact that I cannot do it all. I want to teach the kids everything I can. I want all the kids to succeed. I want to take the kids on wonderful trips. I want to reach EVERY child. I know that I will never be able to do everything, but I want to.

I would notify the other teacher that there may be a problem. Then I would assess the situation up close and relay the facts. If additional support is necessary, I would have that other teacher get help.

17. MissB

MissB Companion

Jul 16, 2006

I don't think I've heard the term "power standards" before...

18. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 16, 2006

ELL is English Language Learners usually

19. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 17, 2006

Hi all! I haven't read through the many posts on this thread yet - but think I remember there being something about being asked your favorite quote. I thought I'd tell you mine.

"Children are like wet cement, anything that falls upon them leaves an impression."

I can't remember who said this or where I heard it from, but I just think it's witty and clever.

Chenelle

20. SeattleGal

SeattleGal Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

Quotes

Love the quote! I'm going to have to remember that one - great visual! Here's one for you...

You make a living by what you get,
    but you make a life by what you give.

Winston Churchill

Could that be any more true than in teaching??:

It's my personal favorite at the moment.

21. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 17, 2006

I really like quotes. I have a dry erase board with a calendar and every month I change it and put a new quote. Here is my new one for this month:
    Nothing in life is to be feared
    It is only to be understood.
    -Marie Curie
    It is so true that we sometimes fear things because of the unknown, but once we understand it we welcome it and embrace it.

22. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 17, 2006

Power standards

Miss B-
    I went online and found a website that discussed what power standards were and here is what they said it was:

"Power Standards are prioritized standards that are derived from a systematic and balanced approach to distinguishing the standards that are absolutely essential for student success from those that are "nice to know." Power Standards are a subset of the complete list of standards for each grade and for each subject. They represent the "safety net" of standards that each teacher needs to make sure that every student learns prior to leaving the current grade. Students who acquire this "safety net" of knowledge and skills will thus exit one grade better prepared for the next grade".

However, it never tell what are the actual power standards they are I guess determined by the school/district consuensus.

Does anyone else know what could be some of the Power standards for 2nd and 3rd grades?
    :confused:

23. norogo

norogo Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

interview Tuesday @ 8am

I am so excited but butterflies in my stomach. I have been going over questions and answers for a week now and been thinking about it constantly.
    It is a 2nd grade at the school where my 2 boys are. I want this so bad, I am ready to get back inot the classroom after being home for 7 years with the kiddos.:D

24. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 17, 2006

Good Luck!

25. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 17, 2006

good luck! I have an interview this morning at the school where my youngest daughter goes. There isn't an opening, yet, but there is a good chance there will be by the end of the week. Of course, Teacher Pre-planning starts next Monday, so that won't give me a lot of time...but I'm so excited about the possiblity! I am taking so much information with me to the interview. If a position does open up, I want to be as prepared as possible. I also want to WOW! the principal this morning, so he won't have any choice but to offer me the job when a position does come up.:D

26. norogo

norogo Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

thank you
    goop-looks like they really are anticipating an opening. Good luck

27. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2006

good luck everyone !

28. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 17, 2006

Good luck everyone! :) Break a leg! :D

29. Ms.MB

Ms.MB Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

Just got back from my interview. Here are some questions I remember:

1. How would you deal with students who have ODD (can't remember what it stand for), polar disorders, or anger problems? These do not necessarily fall into the Special Education and is something that the teacher will have to deal with.
    2. How do you feel about differentiation in the classroom and how would you do it? (I can't remember if this was already asked in the previous posts.)

Can't remember what else...I'll post again if I remember.

30. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 17, 2006

Thanks for all the Good Luck wishes! I just got back from my "talk" with the principal. It went really well! He loved my ideas, my classroom management plan, etc. I took a lot of info besides my resume and credentials...some 1st day activities, my classroom rules, a sample schedule and classroom newsletter. He told me that I am exactly the kind of teacher he wants in his school. Of course, on the down side, he also said that the school board will not let him hire anyone until school actually starts and they know for sure they have to open a new classroom. He did say they were only a few kids from needing a KK teacher, and that another teacher (in a higher grade) had been promised that position if it became available. I already knew that, from talking to another teacher in the district, so I was prepared with information about the grade she would be leaving. School starts Aug 1, and it would be great if I actually had time to prepare, but I'll take a class once school has started!! He told me that if an opening does occur, he definetly wants to talk again about a specific grade opening. It was VERY positive! So now I'm just praying that a lot of kids have moved into the school boundries..and they hurry up and register!

31. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 17, 2006

ODD is Oppositional Defiance Disorder

32. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 17, 2006

That's awesome! It sounds like it's gonna happen for ya! :) good luck!

33. bitsey

bitsey Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

I GOT A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO I cant tell you how thrilled I am!!!

34. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 17, 2006

CONGRATULATIONS! How long until they told you after the interview that you had gotten it?

35. MissB

MissB Companion

Jul 17, 2006

Yay! Congratulations bitsey!!

Yay! Congratulations trulyblssd! That sounds very hopeful. I will keep my fingers crossed! :)

36. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2006

congrats!!!!!!!!!

37. bitsey

bitsey Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

Thanks I am one of those 'older' teachers just entering the work force after I raised my kids and I thought Id never get a job but dont give up hope!!! It is possible!

38. Kilaani

Kilaani Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

Wow....

This is an amazing thread.

There has been so much useful information.

I have been in the same boat as many of you. As Seattlegal (or however it was spelled) mentioned, in Seattle, it's around 90-100 applicants for every job, so it's been tight. It's even about 50 applicants for a half time position.

I have $28k in student loans along with 2 years subbing and a M.Ed. in curriculum and instruction that I just finished up in June. I loved going through the masters program (at SPU - a fantastic school!) and now it's the real scary part - trying to find a job. I really do NOT want to sub another year with no insurance benefits. Subbing isn't enough for me to get into my own apartment....when I started my career change I sold my home and moved to Costa Rica to teach English, returned and then started on the path to teacher certification (I'm 41).

I got to where I have been going through the application process with Clark County School District in Las Vegas. I returned hom from my Las Vegas trip (visiting my mom), and then heard that I have an interview on the 24th of July for two jobs that would be perfect for me - two full time positions both featuring half day ESL and half day reading. Since I have endorsements in both areas, this would be ideal. This is also the district where I had my first long term sub job for last May and June, and the principal gave me a glowing recommendation letter. In fact, when I told her of the interview, she said, "either school would be lucky to have you. You're a super teacher".

However, in reading all of your responses, I feel so brain numb! I don't know how you all come up with the wise and witty sayings. I guess I have just been focusing on my enthusiasm and passion for kids as a learner and teacher. I love using cooperative learning where kids are working with each other and I'm not the one doing all the talking.

As far as management strategies, does anyone here like "love and logic"? I have found that is a awesome way to present discipline. For instance, the kid mentioned ages ago who crossed his arms and wouldn't do anything. The love and logic approach would give the kid two enforceable alternatives, such as, "you can sit there and do nothing now and spend recess with me working, or you can choose to participate now and then be able to go out with your classmates". It's all about choices and consequences. The other classroom management style I like is Marvin Marshall - anyone heard of him? It's similar to love and logic in some ways.

Anyway, this is getting long - keep up the writing - it helps so much to know that others are in the same process and some of you are getting jobs! Bravo!

:love:

39. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 17, 2006

Congrats!!

40. bitsey

bitsey Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

Thanks! Killani I have heard of both and have used Love and Logic in the classroom. I think it is a wonderful classroom management system. It puts the blame where it belongs and does it in a kind and loving way. I am also familar with Marvin Marshall but much prefer Love and Logic, but everyone has their own preference. GOod luck on the job interviews!