Let's start some interview practice:

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Aliceacc, May 3, 2006.

1. MissB

MissB Companion

Jul 13, 2006

Oh, that's wonderful! You'll be even more prepared next year when you start interviewing for jobs! Good luck with your internship (I'm sure you'll get it). Most important have fun and take time for yourself!

2. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 13, 2006

Thank you very much....my fingers are crossed!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2006

Ours too!

4. norogo

norogo Rookie

Jul 13, 2006

that's wonderful. What exactly is a teaching internship? If it is not student teaching then I don't really know what it is.
    Did you feel you were prepared for the questions they asked?

5. norogo

norogo Rookie

Jul 13, 2006

thanks, when I read this and looked at it from your perspective I can see how it would sound negative. Prioratizing is a great answer but I think I am going to go with the technology answer-it's safer.

6. norogo

norogo Rookie

Jul 13, 2006

:eek: :wow: okay officially overwhelmed!!

7. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 13, 2006

One of the questions I had the other day was:

Tell me about a teacher that influenced you. (I forget the exact phrase)

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 13, 2006

I like that question. I've never been asked that one, though.

9. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 13, 2006

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 13, 2006

I think I lean towards being a facilitator. Neat quiz

11. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 13, 2006

Me too...never heard of those styles before.

12. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 13, 2006

This is a great thread!

I just wanted to thank every one who has posted on this thread. I have two interviews tomorrow and this thread gave me a great start to preparing myself for potential questions. I will be a first year teacher so I was unsure of what to expect and what I should say. This thread gave me great ideas on how to verbalize the skills I have.

SOOOOO..... :thanks:

13. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 13, 2006

Norogo
    Were these were the questions that they asked you? Wow, if they are I can't believe you remembered them all.Just curious how did you answer the question:
    Within the disciplines you teach, which are do you regard as strongest? Which area weakest?

14. norogo

norogo Rookie

Jul 14, 2006

no those were not questions someone asked me, it was what another person posted on like page 16 and after I read it I was totally overwhelmed!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2006

Break a leg!!! Let us know how they go!!

16. MrsRich219

MrsRich219 Companion

Jul 14, 2006

Okay....interview today at 2 for a 6th grade position. My stomach is so queasy! Ughhhhhhhh...I hate this feeling.

17. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2006

Sending Good Luck to you Mrs. Rich:)

18. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 14, 2006

Well I hope my morning is not an omen! When I left to go to my first interview I was backing out of the drive when I thought to myself, "My car sounds funny." As I got going I realised I had a flat tire! I still managed to make it on time but what a frustrating start to my day! Having to change a tire and attempt to not end the process with grease covering my suit!

My first interview went well. One question I was told the answer I gave was exactly what they were looking for in an answer. At the end I was informed that I possess many of the skills and qualities they are looking for and they will have a decision by Monday or Tuesday!

Off now to get lunch, drop off the flat tire (sometimes SUVS are handy since mine has a full spare, not a donut), and hopefully get to the next interview without any mishaps. Another flat tire and I will just be out of luck! Good luck to Mrs. Rich as well!

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2006

Forgive me for repeating this story:

When I was math dept chair, I did the preliminary inteviews. One woman came in with coffee stained all over the front of her suit. She laughed and explained that she had stopped for a cup of coffee on the way, and spilled it all over herself. She had to choose between being late and being stained.

She got the job!

The principal and I both figured that she had what it takes to roll with the punches-- an important attribute in teaching!!

So maybe your tire was a good omen-- all the bad karma for the day was focused there instead of at the interviews!!

Let us know how #2 goes!

20. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 14, 2006

An internship is Student Teaching on Steroids. I would have my own classroom all by myself. There are a lot of internship ops in CA, because of the need for teachers in certain districts.

I was prepared for the interview. There was only one question that they asked that I didn't have a really great answer for and that was what three words would someone use to describe me. Heck, I had to pull something out of my butt on that one. :)

21. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 14, 2006

Mine is still queazy!

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 14, 2006

So what was your answer?

23. MrsRich219

MrsRich219 Companion

Jul 14, 2006

It went GREAT! I absolutely love the school. I was interviewed by the AP, the Principal is on vacation until Monday. At the end of my interview the AP actually said "She is going to love you!" She took me on a tour of the building and showed me one of two classrooms that would be "mine". I'm claiming this position as MINE! Bye bye 4th grade....hello 6th grade....lol! Okay....anyone have any experience in 6th...I need help.....lol

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2006

I don't have any 6th grade experience...yet. It starts in Sept!

I'm so glad it went well!

25. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 14, 2006

I said, well spoke, passionate and organized.

26. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 14, 2006

Okay so one of my recommendation letter's called me...if that makes sense and said that he got a call from the principle of the school I interviewed at. At the end of their conversation he said that the principle said that he's reference couldn't be any better....okay now I'm scared, because ....yeah, I'm just gonna go throw up now!

27. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 14, 2006

Update

Well I have had an eventful and productive (I think at least) day! Second interview went well. He even inquired if I had other interests and how I plan to make a decision! I set up a second interview with them for Monday. When I checked my messages on my phone when I got in the car (I left it in the car so it would not be a distraction) The principal from the other school had left a message. I called back and he did their second interview with me over the phone and informed me that I impressed the AP I interviewed with that morning. To even further fill my bubble when I got home there was a message from a different school all together wanting to schedule an interview for Monday. I am so excited. I thought I would be lucky to just get one interview and in the last two days I have had two interviews, a second interview, scheduled a second interview, and another first interview! Sorry to toot my own horn but I am excited!!! There is hope yet that I will have a job and soon! :D :D :D

So I would have to agree the flat tire was not a bad omen! As far as the tire goes after I dropped it off they called to say it was not patchable since there were a total of FIVE nails in it!!!! I was lucky they all got into one tire and not into more that one!

After posting and reading through other posts today it seems I am not the only one having a great day with potential jobs in the near future! Congrats to all the others who also had great interviews/news today!

Another thought as I sit here and wish I had another person to annoy with my excitement about today... I was thinking about thank you letters. Since the first school I interviewed with will be making a decision Monday or Tuesday I was thinking of emailing if possible since snail mail won't get there in time. Should I email the AP or the Principal or both? Should I send one to the second school or wait since I already have a second interview scheduled for Monday? (gut feeling on the last question is wait, but a little advice never hurts!)

**Someone tie me to a chair and give me a chill pill before I just burst!**

28. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 14, 2006

That's great! Good luck to everyone and good luck just wondering.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2006

Toot away!!! You had a great day!!!

I hope SOMEONE is taking you out to dinner tonight!!

30. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 14, 2006

Actually we are having dinner at my in-laws that has been planned for a while since they will be leaving town on Saturday for about a week so when I get there I can gloat and annoy them with my excitement!

Singing :rolleyes: "I'm so excited, I just can't hide it..." :D

31. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 14, 2006

Good Luck! You will do well. Toot your horn and celebrate because you deserve it! An interview is by far an easy process as you are being examined and prodded by questions from different people. Man, really FIVE nails? That goes to show that nothing will get into your way of being a teacher. TOOT! TOOT!

32. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2006

GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D

33. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 15, 2006

I got the job!!! Now what????? I'm scared!

34. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 15, 2006

Congrats trulyblssd! I know I will feel the same way if I get a position!

35. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 15, 2006

Congratulations on the job!

36. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 15, 2006

CONGRATS!!! burst away and toot that horn all you like!
    Very happy for you! Best of luck!

37. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 15, 2006

HOORAY, congratulations!! that's great news!
    Enjoy the moment, when does school start for you? Do you have a new teacher orientation?

38. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jul 15, 2006

Interview questions

Congratulations to all of you who got a job!!!:)

I read through this entire thread today. I copied the questions to Word and am going to spend some time going through them to practice them. When I interviewed last year, I had practiced and practiced with a bunch of questions. I was interviewed in the district where I was a long term sub and they didn't ask me any of the questions I had practiced. So I really bummed on the interview. It is so hard to know how to get ready. A question that keeps coming up in my mind is "What is the most exciting thing happening in education today?
    This summer I took a class and the professor was a former principal. He said one of the questions he always asked was "What would I see if I walked into your classroom?

39. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 15, 2006

I have had that question but more specific. What would I see if I walked into your classroom during literacy time in October, during math time in January.
    You really need to know the curriculum for the district before you go on an interview.

40. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 15, 2006

I will be teaching two Junior English classes and 4 Soph. classes. School starts Aug. 9th and new teacher orientation is Aug. 7-8. I'm scared, cause this is an internship for me, but I will be fine....:D