Let's start some interview practice:

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Aliceacc, May 3, 2006.

1. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jun 26, 2006

Norogo- I might say that I have to focus on "balancing my plate". Say that you are a devoted teacher and mother and sometimes struggle to find time that is just for you to relax and heal from the busy day. I used this one to an extent and it went over well.

2. MissRana

MissRana Rookie

Jun 26, 2006

Being a perfectionist, for me, is a Catch-22, I would never admit to being a perfectionist because I know that I will make a mistake and prove that I'm not perfect-- which I guess would strengthen the idea that I'm a perfectionist...

In any case, I'm a person who "can't see the forest for the trees." When I work on projects I get lost in the details and making sure that I have thoroughly investigated all possibilities. Unfortunately, it's hard for me to carry out the big picture because I spend so much time planning that I am only willing to stop researching and start executing at the last minute-- which makes me look like a procrastinator. I hesitate to say that I'm a procrastinator for my weakness though, because I feel like I am (and probably really am) working harder and more than others, it's just when it comes down to it, things don't work out as well as I would like.

(Thinking on paper) I guess I would work best either generating the ideas for others to carry out or carrying out ideas that are already determined so that I can't spend too much time in the planning phase.

That is my genuine answer. Do you think that it is a "good" one?

3. MissB

MissB Companion

Jun 26, 2006

I think that is a wonderful answer, and very honest.

4. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jun 26, 2006

I have another one, I tend to focus on the details to the point that sometimes I lose sight of the main goal, but I'm working on that by using my daily planner and making lists in order of priority and have improved on my tendency to focus on details.

So, it comes down to I am a perfectionist but I won't say that and really, does it really matter to anyone else but me that I spent 15 minutes picking the "right" verb for an IEP goal? :rolleyes:

5. norogo

norogo Rookie

Jun 26, 2006

those are some really good answers.
    I am going to talk about the balance between everything and basically not beating myself up over it.

6. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jun 26, 2006

When you figure out how to, let me know! And to go with that, if you figure out how to not take the student's progress/lack of progress personally, let me know too! :)

7. norogo

norogo Rookie

Jun 26, 2006

Okay well I know what I can add on to my answer about the balance etc. is that since I am a very organized person I am able to manage my time effectively and I know I will be able to find a systme that works????

8. wanateach

wanateach Companion

Jun 27, 2006

Okay, so I have an interview tomorrow-I am really relaxed about it because it is like an hour away on a busy construction (major) area that is going to go on for several years. this interview is carried over from today-there will be other special ed teachers there, paras, and psychologists who test the kids. The question I have is what will they ask? I think one asked about homework-last time I had an interview-how would you handle late or no homework turned in-what is an answer for that, and what modifications do you make for these kids, and do you feel comfortable writing ieps-at first I was wary, wavering on the iep question-but truthfully I feel that I could do it, I have done it-though it has been awhile. Behaviors-etc....anyway. thanks for your help!!! Lori

9. MissRana

MissRana Rookie

Jun 27, 2006

One thing I did when I started receiving insane amounts of late work (and had students at the end of the quarter who would want to give me all their late homework at the end of the quarter) was make a calendar for each of them in which they had to write their homework assignments for each day (just for my class). I would stamp in the boxes depending on if the assignment was completed/late/not done. At the end of each week they had to have their parents sign the calendar. Before I implemented this I let my students know that I would only accept late homework one day after the assignment was due (and for half credit), and I sent a letter home to the parents explaining the calendar. (They had to bring back the note signed by a parent, as well). Getting the calendar signed counted as a part of their homework grade.

This method helped a lot, the only difficulty I had was making sure that I got the calendars back to them right away because otherwise they couldn't write down their assignments. It was a nice method for me because instead of having them ask me what the homework was, they could ask a friend to see their calendar.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2006

I allow students to miss- and make up for full credit-- up to 3 assignments per marking period. I would rather them miss and make it up honestly than copy it in homeroom. And, honestly, sometimes things DO happen at home that get in the way of homework: it's grandma's birthday or the dog gets sick or the car breaks down.

My kids have to see me after to see which assignments they owe me.

11. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jun 27, 2006

I think that when a student is not progressing, it's important to see if you can find out why. Is something happening at home? Are they simply not understanding? Is there a hidden disability that you aren't aware of?

I found that when I took a little extra time with the student not doing well, more personalized attention, they performed better.

If it's testing they are having problems with, try mneumonics. THey are GREAT! I'll never forget that Boise is the capital of Idaho, because "Boys like Ida"

Those things stick forever! My daughter can still sing all 50 states afoter 15 years, and I remember "Boise" after nearly 25.

Many kids just don't learn in school HOW to study. I acutally have a lesson plan on studying skills that I give.

Good luck!

It's not personal-- not unless you have a LOT of students not doing well,.

12. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jun 27, 2006

Hi Alice

I think this is a GREAT idea, and I"m going to use it! Things do happen, and too many teachers don't take that into consideration.

13. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jun 27, 2006

Hi

I don't think I'd ever say I was having a hard time giving 100% to my teaching job, etc.

Please find something different to use as a weakness.

You may say "I'd have to say that a weakness is prioratizing" or something along those lines. Disorganized sounds better than "Not sure I can give 100%".

Just my opinion of course, but I think I'd reject an applicant that said that.

14. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jun 27, 2006

Most schools, i think, have a budget. I'd spend mine on response cards and pens, so I had active participation from the students.

I'd also fill the room with books-- all types, fiction, non-fiction.

I'd probably buy dollar store journals that were pretty and creative so the kids could keep them when school was done.

Of course, I figure I'll spend half my check the first few years, LOL

I love the Teacher Store that was in Ohio when I lived there. I taught preschool back then, and spent a fortune on supplies out of pocket (and back then, I was making about 3 bucks an hour, lol)

15. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jun 27, 2006

Well in special ed, it can be a lot of kids not doing grade level and parents don't always understand that just because Johnny went up a year in reading, he started as a non-reader and of course he didn't pass the standardized test-for example. Kids are making progress, just their own, not mom and dads

16. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 27, 2006

I agree. I know that sometimes it is my fault that my son does not get his homework completed! Time is just not available some nights - with work and sports and dinner and everything else!!:eek:

17. KarToTeach

KarToTeach Rookie

Jun 27, 2006

These were my questions today:
    Tell us about yourself/what experiences have you had that make you ready for this position (grade three interview).
    Give us an example of when teamwork did not work and what you did/learned.
    Adapting lesson plans.
    Behaviour management - when did it not work and what did you learn.
    Teaching strategies used and give an example of when it didn't work.

A couple more I can't remember. I responded to them all with a philosophy type beginning ("I think teamwork involves everyone working together to achieve success") and then followed them up with specific examples. They were really looking for behaviour type examples and what I learned from each experience. Kind of has you think outside the box.:)

18. bitsey

bitsey Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

Ok heres one..How do you handle a difficult parent?

19. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jun 28, 2006

With kid gloves!! Make sure that you have administration personnell there!! Do not allow yourself to be cornered into a solo meeting, it can and will be used against you at a later date.
    seriously. 1] have the meeting in an area where there are no barriers. If the parent is sitting in a student desk, you sit in one also. Make sure neither party is sitting of standing higher than the other. Its a power thing. So is sitting behind your big desk.
    1] have examples of the students workat your finger tips. Do not fumble around looking for the students examples. 3] Always open your discussion with atleast 1-3 positive things to say about the student before you zing them with the items that you are concerned about.:D Notice that you are not saying that the child is a horrible monster from h*** but, that there are behaviors that are cause for concern. 4] Tell them what you and the student are doing to over come the obstacles. Ie.... I have noticed the short attentionspan that Johnny has and his reaction has been to blurt out.... :rolleyes: This is what we have done to help him concentrate... there is a small behavior tic tac toe grid on his desk, and we mark it with smileys every 1/2 hour(of 15 min) to enable him to see progress. When he reaches (x) amount of smileys he has earned XXXX. If he fills his sheet up totally, he will have earned XXXXX. Move the time frame between the smileys as the child gains control of the behavior that you are working on to longer and longer time periods.
    Maybe the parents can help by choosing the "rewards" and will use this at home too. These charts are easy to replicate, or buy at any teachers store.
    Okay now that you've opened your discussion with 2 positives for every negative, and you have shown examples of how YOU are working to help the child, cover only 1-5 types of problems in that one meeting. Be sure to have a written agenda and points you want to cover and the ways you are working to improve that child's performance and making him feel a part of the class "family". You can guide the parents questions in this fashion especially if they also have a copy of your agenda. You may even want to go as far as having a pre conference form questionaire for the parents to fill out so that they can have a focus point on what questions THEY want to ask, and you have the control, cause you write the questions!!!
    Any straying of the topics can be controlled by having this agenda with its 3-4 points of concern. Do not attempt to cover more material, as this is overwhelming to even the most devoted teacher and parent. Schedule more meetings if needed, and keep an open door policy. If you show that you are prepared and in control, with administration in tow, then you have done everything even the most conservative CEO would have in closing a multi million dollar account. And afterall, isn't the child's future as important if not more than money???

20. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2006

In response to handling a parent. I think the best way is to start off with a positive about the child. Don't sugar coat anything, just state your case with evidence. Evidence is key. You must be able to show parents concrete evidence about their child if they are to believe your professional opinion.

21. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 29, 2006

To add to the above, with the difficult parent, I make copies of notes and 3 copies of my list of concerns, also noting positives, I have the parent sign and date all three copies of the list. One signed note is for the parent, one for my file and one for the cumulative folder(this one I remove at the end of the school year-I place it there incase my copy is lost etc...If the problems persist, I pass it to next years teacher)

**I also have the parent initial each concern and each positive statement which indicates we discussed each point***

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2006

Also, as pre-emptive action:

-every child who comes to extra help signs in and out. It deflates the arguement that "he comes to you for help all the time" when he's actually at 7-11 having a soda.

-any time I get "duplicate papers", I Xerox them and hand back a copy.

23. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jun 29, 2006

I always try to make a getting to know you call at the beginning of the year and emphasize that we are partners in education their child and ask for their suggestions for motivation and consequences if behavior warrants it. I've been lucky to have some good parents who will give home consequences for school behavior and follow through with homework.

24. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

I thought of a question.
    How would you teach comprehension to kindergartners and first graders?

25. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2006

By asking questions initially. Maybe reading something aloud and then having the children retell it. I need more time on this.

26. MissB

MissB Companion

Jul 5, 2006

You HAVE to buy "Reading with Meaning" by Debbie Miller

It is the greatest. She writes about her reading workshop in her first grade classroom. A MUST READ for primary teachers.

She talks specifically about many comprehension strategies she uses. She walks you right through September through May.

I'm also reading "Starting with Comprehension: Reading Strategies for the Youngest Learners" by Andie Cunningham. It's very similar, but she is a K teacher.

27. MissB

MissB Companion

Jul 5, 2006

The quick answer might be: through think-alouds where the teacher models a strategy (such as schema, predicting, inferring, text-to-self, text-to-text connections etc..) aloud while reading a book. Then the students have a chance to read themselves (or listen to the teacher read) and practice the strategy. The students might write or draw to respond.
    Example:
    The teacher is reading a book about spiders. Make a list with the students about what they know about spiders. The teacher shows the cover (and they picture walk through possibly). Then the teacher thinks out loud her prediction about what they will find in the book and why she is thinking that (using her schema of spiders or whatever). The students go draw a picture of their prediction (or write) on a sticky note (maybe put them on a chart) Then they read the book and talk about their predictions. Were their predictions accurate? Has their schema of spiders changed since reading the book? What can they add to their schema?

28. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

These are all ideas I learned at the Maine Read first conference.
    I really like the think aloud part.

29. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 9, 2006

Excellent example!

30. norogo

norogo Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

Hi everyone-this post is getting so long and I am looking for some answers for
    WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF EDUCATION? I went through the first 5 pages in this post and didn't see it but we are up to page 16.

31. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 11, 2006

32. norogo

norogo Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

I will check it out-thanks

33. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 11, 2006

I was asked what my teaching style is...I said it was eclectic, but also added that I tend to be constructivist. I wasn't sure how to answer that one...do they mean that you like students to be active participants, etc??? Did I miss the thread on this one too?

34. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2006

nj- when I think style... I think structured (rigid) or a little less structured. Then, I describe what that means to me in terms of my classroom activities,set up , etc.

35. bitsey

bitsey Rookie

Jul 12, 2006

Interview Questions for a Prospective Teacher
    It is more likely that you will be interviewed by a committee than by a principal. Don't be surprised if you have to face a panel of interviewers. Here are some typical questions, drawn from a number of resources, that you should begin thinking about well before that first interview.
    Tell us about your background and experience with children.

Tell us about your professional and personal life that qualifies you for a teaching position at our school in the _________ grade.

How would you describe your teaching style?

Talk through a math lesson for us. Take us through the lesson as if we were your students.

If we were to contact those who have worked with you, what would they say?

How will you organize your classroom for reading? For math?

How would you create a positive classroom climate in your classroom? How would that fit with your management plan?

How would you plan for lessons in your classroom?

What were some of the problems you encountered as a student teacher and what did you do about them?

Describe a typical day in your class.

Discuss any of your qualifications which you wish to emphasize.

Why do you want to be a teacher in this district? In this school?

How do you think parents should be involved in the educational program?

How do you communicate what is happening in your classroom to parents?

How do you want students to view you?

What are the things other than academics you want to teach the children in your class?

Describe your general philosophy of discipline.

What kind of assistance would you expect from the principal?

What in your life is exciting to you (passions)?

Describe, developmentally, a typical _______ grade child.

What books would you read to your students? What books are the favorites of _________ grade? Your favorites?

What are your plans for professional growth?

In what ways could grade level teachers work together?

What experiences have you had teaching with math manipulatives?

Explain the term "subject integration."

How do you incorporate hands-on materials in _________ grade?

A student consistently refuses to do his or her schoolwork and homework. What would you do?

A student throws a chair in anger across the room. What would you do?

How do you see yourself contributing in a grade level team situation? Tell about experiences you have had in this setting.

A student in your room repeatedly writes a dirty word in large letters on his school work, in the sand, on the white board and says the words aloud. What would you do?

In regard to a ________ grade language arts program, what does the phrase "reading-writing connection" mean to you?

What are the components of a ________ grade reading program?

Choose a favorite science lesson you have taught. Take us through the lesson as if we were the students.

What are your greatest strengths as a teacher? Your greatest weaknesses?

Within the disciplines you teach, which are do you regard as strongest? Which area weakest?

Which teaching approaches do you use most? Why?

If you use a variety of teaching methods, can you describe any recent examples? Why do you change methods in different teaching situations or content?

How do you personally learn best? What effect might this knowledge have on how you plan instruction for your students?

Do the instructional strategies and methods you use accommodate the different learning styles among your students? Give examples.

How do you plan to remain educationally current?

36. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 12, 2006

You guys are great

It took me half the day, but I read through this whole thread and it's great!

Okay, I'm going to an interview tomorrow for an Internship. I would like to think that they realize that I have never taught in a formal setting before, but who knows...Do you think that they will ask me some of the same questions that have been posted here? Anyone ever been on an Internship interview. What should I expect.

37. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 13, 2006

Trulyblssd I am right with you. It took me most of the night to read through the thread. Truly wonderful questions and answers.:) I have an interview next week with a school that I long termed subbed for this year. They called me and scheduled an appt. I am really nervous as I have taken the summer off to do one on one tutoring.
    The questions and answers were a really a great mind jogger fo me. Any suggestions would be appreciated, since I know that there will be teachers on the panel that I have worked alongside. I really love this school and I gave it 110% while I was there even though I was right in the middle of the school year. I had to make up grading sheets and basically learn on my own(right out of college method classes). I even had the principal there to observe me when I started my first sub position and again when I long termed. The teachers were really nice and helpful. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

38. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 13, 2006

Go into the interview like they don't even know you. Bring the copies of your resume for all of them. Don't assume they know anything about you.
    Best of luck!

39. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jul 13, 2006

I agree with Jamie Marie...

40. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 13, 2006

I had my interview

Hello guys, I just wanted to thank you for these posts. I had my interview today and it was great. This was my first teachers interview ever and it's for an internship. Of course, they say that an internship is student teaching on steroids. I'm not scared, really! :) I got a really good response from the principle and vice principles. The principle told me that I was very mature and well spoken. He said that he felt a connection with me and could tell that I had really good character and faith. I told my mom that if that is all I get out of that interview it's too much. You don't know what that did for my self esteem. I'm so glad that my character shines through. I just wanted to thank you guys and will keep you posted. :) Hopefully I will be moving the secondary section and asking for advise for new teachers!