lets share storage tips

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by patti2, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 24, 2007

Shasha379, thanks for that link! Very helpful!

2. sarahthree

sarahthree Rookie

Jun 24, 2007

How do you store your pads of chart paper? I have like 5 pads, and last year I stored them laying flat on a shelf but I always wanted to pile things on top of them because there was room and whenever I needed to quickly grab a piece of chart paper, it would become such a hassle. Anyone have any great storage tips for chart paper pads??

3. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 24, 2007

I have a friend who has a rolling cart (with something similar to a bar that would be in a closet or a shower rod) and she hangs all of her posters and chart paper on that. It moves around pretty well and she is able to get to anything she needs rather easily. I don't have enough space in my room for something like that because my classroom has "middle school" style desks, but she likes it alot.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2007

I asked the caretaker to fasten large hooks to the back of my door to hand chart paper from--works great and it's out of the way.

5. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jun 25, 2007

I slip my pads of chart paper behind a shelf - you know between the shelf and the wall.

6. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 25, 2007

I do the same thing. I've also kept them on top of my cabinet before, lying flat.

7. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 25, 2007

I found a wicker paper plate/utensils holder at a yard sale last summer and it was perfect for holding the odds and ends on my desk. It is hard to explain but it had a a section for holding napkins. I put a bottle of lotion and my staple (upright) in that section. The utensil section held pens, pencils and my scissors. The paper plate shelf held my 3-hole punch, paper clip holder, timer and like items. Underneath there was space to keep papers. I actually used that space to keep my clear embroidery floss container which kept my odds and ends (bandaids, thumbtacks, small size feminine supplies, brass fasteners, alcohol wipes, safety pins etc.

You may consider the kitchen organizing section of stores for good organizers.

8. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

Baskets, trys, shelves, clear shoe boxes and labels.

9. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

I'm using a tackle box. $5 at Walmart

10. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

Tackle box??? What does that look like?

11. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 25, 2007

A tackle box like you would use for fishing? That makes alot of sense. It is a case that opens and has small compartments to hold various little items. Most have that type of section as a removable tray with a larger storage compartment underneath. They remind me to the "caboodle" that I had as a little girl, if anyone remembers those! :)
    Some look similar to this one. -->[​IMG]

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 25, 2007

I have shoebox plastic containers for many, many things as well as a binder with plastic pages that holds all my transparencies. I am also the queen of plastic storage, but it's beneficial.

13. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

Yeah Caboodle...that's a word that I know. Gosh, I was such hot stuff once I got one of those. :D

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 28, 2007

Here's another el cheapo tip (handy if you are like me-broke!)-instead of buying plastic storage bins, get the cardboard six pack holders (they hold bottles or cans) and cover them with contact paper. The paper makes them sturdy, plus covers up the liquor name. I have found wine cooler boxes work the best. Also, there is a Jack Daniels beverage that comes in packages of 4 if you need smaller ones. Before I sound like a complete lush, one of my friends is manager at a bar and collects them for me! I have them on my tables for holding supples, but you find them everywhere in my room-paint brushes, markers, paper strips for writing, etc.

Keep these coming! Every time I check this thread I have to add to my shopping wish list!

kcjo

15. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 28, 2007

I still have a caboodle stashed away in my room. Gosh I need to clean out my room... hahaha.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 28, 2007

One thing I don't like about having all different kinds of storage containers, is that they don't stack as well and there is some wasted space. Keep that in mind.

I found an oak file cabinet, lateral (sideways), legal size, for %50 at Salvation Army. Perfect condition. It matches my desk, sits at the end of it, and it is holding all kinds of puzzles and games.

17. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 28, 2007

I still use my for makeup...and so does my mom!! lol:eek:

18. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 28, 2007

I'm glad to hear that others still have their caboodles! :)

19. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 28, 2007

I miss Caboodles! I know you can get the clear kind at Target still... I wonder if you can find the purple or teal or pink ones anymore. Those were great. :)

20. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 28, 2007

Mine is purple and sparkly. Hahaha.

21. ruralneteach

ruralneteach Rookie

Jun 29, 2007

22. rose05

rose05 Rookie

Jun 29, 2007

Have the computer sort by the number not the student's last name

23. MrsM1

MrsM1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2007

24. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 9, 2007

I posted this on another thread as well, but wanted to make sure you saw it! (Sorry to those who read the duplicate!) I had also heard that alot of people were looking for baskets at a cheaper price, so I thought I'd share!

I went to the local Family Dollar today and found that they had baskets like the ones seen on Beth Newingham's blog (http://community.scholastic.com/scholastic/blog/article?blog.id=snapshot35&message.id=318) for $1. They also had most everything in the store, including the baskets and other various storage units, 40% off. The baskets are in bright colors, too...not just the red, green, and blue you may be used to. They have bright pink, green, yellow, blue and purple! Just thought I'd pass the word along. I'm not sure if they are doing this at other locations or not, but thought you all might be interested!

25. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 9, 2007

i buy a lot of those colorful rolling drawers and paper trays at Costco. they are typically at least 50% cheaper there than at teacher stores. I've seen a teacher rolling cart once (but never found it again!) and bought two stackable metal paper organizers with 20 trays each--perfect for mailboxes! Dollar stores are also great for book baskets and shoe organizers (also could be used as mailboxes).

26. Daisyd

Daisyd Rookie

Jul 9, 2007

27. Daisyd

Daisyd Rookie

Jul 9, 2007

I have the same thing! I store sharpies, white board markers, and over head markers in the 3 utensils sections and keep blank index cards and shaped notepads in the napkin section. :)

28. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 9, 2007

I like to use the numbers to get them to do things a certain way...all the prime numbers get your book bags, even numbers line up for lunch, etc.

29. Rebecca62

Rebecca62 New Member

Jul 18, 2007

I had a lady make me a denim wall pocket organizer and use it alot. She doenst list them normally but she has seat pockets or chairbacks on ebay for 5.00 on sale so bet you could ask her.

30. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 18, 2007

My sister got me a caboodle when I graduated from high school. She filled it with all kinds of stuff. I loved it!!

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

I just found these pushpins that have clothespins attached to them. I bought a pack at Staples. They look interesting.

Also, I love the strips that can be attached anywhere and you just slide a poster or any paper inside the top and bottom to display. I have one at the top of my whiteboard and use it for posters that I want to use for just that lesson then take down.

32. andybugg2000

andybugg2000 Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

Another idea about the puzzle pieces: You can use a different color bingo "dauber" for each puzzle or colored sticky dots. Also, you can assemble the puzzles, flip them over and just paint them a solid color. It is so comforting to know that others share my OCD tendencies! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.