lets share storage tips

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by patti2, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trice2006

Trice2006 Rookie

Jun 16, 2007

This year I vow to try to stay organized. Last year I was so overwhelmed with paperwork and everything else....so this year I'm going to have a binder for each subject to keep all the lessons and handouts together. On my desk I am going to use one of those stackable trays to put all the handouts that I will need for the week..each tray is a different subject. And one section for papers that come from the office. Hopefully things won't get lost this year.

2. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 16, 2007

I had the same problem last year, lost 2 students and gained 3 new ones. I was bothered by the fact that the names were going to mess up my carefully alphabetized gradebook. I added them onto the bottom of my written gradebook, but then when I was entering grades, I would always mess up when I got to the new student who might be somewhere in the middle and end up having to start over-maddening!

So what I did might not work for everyone, but my school uses eClass grades, and it doesn't report anything to the office until the end of the quarter. So I changed the name of my new students to be zSmith, John, and zaDoe, Jane. Then the system would alphabetized them at the end of the list, just like what was written in my gradebook. At the end of the quarter, I took out the z and za and reordered them, and everything worked out fine. Maybe this wouldn't work for everyone, but it was a big timesaver for me!

kcjo

3. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jun 19, 2007

i use plastic bins/baskets for my library but found it much cheaper to ask for a class set of skill boxes (sturdy cardboard boxes that can hold all of a student's textbooks) to store their personal materials when switching from class to class. our school was able to order them from the district warehouse, which saved me quite a bit of money. they fit nicely on a standard bookshelf and students can label the sides for easy identification.

i also found some hanging 6-pocket CD holders at Old Navy one year on clearance... these are pretty common at stores like Target and Bed, Bath & Beyond in the fall for college students. The pockets are PERFECT for storing my dry erase markers, highlighting tape, and tongue depressors with student names. i also use one for my class jobs... i laminated the jobs on colored paper and wrote student names on index cards that fit behind them, super easy to switch and it looks really nice.

here's my question... last year my teammate and i had several students with sticky fingers that were constantly taking our personal items and would "borrow" (and never return) their peers' materials (pencils, glue, sharpeners, highlighters, etc). does anyone have a system that allows for groups to share materials and then store them so that there is not so much room for theft of classroom materials? i hate to punish everyone by locking up materials simply because a small group of students can't resist the urge to take things.

*N*

4. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

I have a large art cabinet that was my aunts during her 33 years of teaching. She passed it down to me. It has different size shelves on it. Some are good for storing paper and some are good for glue. Just depends on what I want to use each shelf for. It has tons of storage. You could actually build one. My shelves can come out on some of them so I can adust the width or height of some of them. It's really neat. I love it. I haven't finished filling it up yet, but it stands back to back with a book case that holds my classroom library. I'm putting all scissors, glue, tape, markers, chalk, notebook paper, construction paper, manilla paper, glitter, paint, paint brushes, pencils, pens, etc in their own cubby in the art shelving...I guess I really shouldn't call it an art cabinet because it really looks like a wooden bookcase.

5. caspez2528

caspez2528 New Member

Jun 19, 2007

Hi everyone! I'm a first time poster long time lurker and I have gotten and used some great ideas for organization. I use popsicle sticks in my classroom and a good and Inexpensive way to keep track of students who have already been picked is to put an empty toilet paper roll in the cup. When I pick the student's stick I put in in the roll while the non-picked sticks are still in the cup but outside the roll. It works great for me to keep track of who has been called. I like the velcro at the bottom of the cup idea though, because I knocked the cup over quite often. It was so bad I added stick pick up to my classroom jobs. :)

6. Bertie

Bertie New Member

Jun 20, 2007

At WalMart or craft stores you can find a set of decorated popsicle sticks....they have boys/girls on top, flowers, or bugs. Could you use those Loves2Teach? They come 12 to a package so you'd have to buy 2 pkg per year.

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2007

The texture of the sticks freak me out big time- thinking about touching one gives me the creeps lol!

I am thinking about either using plastic clothes pins w/ names written on them, or perhaps cut outs w/ names written on them.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 20, 2007

Do you mean because they are rough, loves2teach? I never thought about the texture of them.

I don't like decorated sticks because I really want the pick to be random. Can't you figure out whose are whose?

9. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jun 20, 2007

Storage ideas

Well don't know what this has to do with storage ideas, but I justbought colored popsickle sticks, and wrote their name (I use numbers for each child) with magic marker. When I pulled one out, I laid it down on the desk.

10. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jun 20, 2007

storage ideas

The texture, I never noticed either.

11. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 20, 2007

Index cards on one of those rings. You can take them off the ring and shuffle them. You can also use the cards to make observational notes about each child. I have around 75 students or so so I color-code them according to the special populations I need to address (ELL, Dyslexic etc. ) The kids just think they are randomly colorful so that private information is still kept private but is a good reminder to me when questioning the kids at the beginning of the year before I get to know their individual needs.

12. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 20, 2007

I dealt with this problem often when I used the numbering system. The best I could do, was give the child the next number in the sequence (i.e. 21 if you have 20 students already and then just move the paper to the right spot each time before entering grades). It would still keep you organized but not perfectly. One time i had a new student come in and he was 2nd to last alphabetically so I just asked the last student if she could be 24 instead of 23 for now on and that worked.

13. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 20, 2007

fabulous ideas in this thread! Thanks.

What's worked for me and what I am going to try for next year:

If you use fabric on your BB background, use excess fabric to staple a pocket along the bottom. You can use the pocket to store hall passes, "class is testing sign" or other items. You can also use the pocket to store pieces to an interactive BB.

Use clear plastic sheet protectors on the walls to display your seating charts. No need to hunt yours down if you forget who sits where (I teach middle) and if you have the students move desks in different formations (i.e. for group work) you can have a copy of each one handy for yourself and subs.

keep a copy of your roster right by the door (sheet protector) for fire drills.

I made a zillion copies of the class roster for each of my classes and checked off the students who turned in an assignment and clipped the roster to the front of each set of collected assignments.

I have a binder with BB letters organized by ABC order in sheet protectors.

I have a manilla folder for each state-mandated student expectation and am in the process of sorting my extra handouts this way rather than general labels like "fractions".

I loved the website someone posted and found a few more items that might interest someone:

Artist pocket organizer
    http://www.ltdcommodities.com/home/...asp?G=485&P=345&Rec=17&N=37+461&Nao=28&R=3171

This 4 tier pan rack with some muffin tins might be a great way to store small items (maybe teacher desk supplies) with two of the shelves as flat pans for holding flat items like paper. They would work perfectly for taking off the shelf and bringing to a table to distribute manipulatives or supplies!
    http://www.ltdcommodities.com/home/catalog/cat_item_pg.asp?G=485&P=393&Rec=22&N=37+461&Nao=28&R=6603

to be used in a similar way
    http://www.ltdcommodities.com/home/catalog/cat_item_pg.asp?G=476&P=131&Rec=12&N=37+461&Nao=84&R=1682
    3-tier baskets
    http://www.ltdcommodities.com/home/catalog/cat_item_pg.asp?G=488&P=151&Rec=28&N=37+461&Nao=28&R=4762

shoe-box style organizers
    http://www.ltdcommodities.com/home/catalog/cat_item_pg.asp?G=488&P=157&Rec=6&N=37+461&Nao=56&R=11712

book storage
    http://www.ltdcommodities.com/home/catalog/cat_item_pg.asp?G=480&P=34&Rec=15&N=37+461&Nao=56&R=730

to add space on teacher desk
    http://www.ltdcommodities.com/home/catalog/cat_item_pg.asp?G=480&P=33&Rec=16&N=37+461&Nao=56&R=6335

to attach to magnetic whiteboards or to filing cabinets
    http://www.ltdcommodities.com/home/...sp?G=480&P=114&Rec=23&N=37+461&Nao=56&R=11863

days of the week organizer
    http://www.ltdcommodities.com/home/catalog/cat_item_pg3.asp?G=476&P=21&Rec=27&N=37+461&Nao=56&R=1594

blocks, large manipulatives
    http://www.ltdcommodities.com/home/catalog/cat_item_pg.asp?G=476&P=61&Rec=4&N=37+461&Nao=84&R=775

for center tables
    http://www.ltdcommodities.com/home/catalog/cat_item_pg.asp?G=476&P=140&Rec=15&N=37+461&Nao=84&R=5961

for misc. storage
    http://www.ltdcommodities.com/home/catalog/cat_item_pg3.asp?G=456&P=64&Rec=4&N=37+461&Nao=112&R=5918

well that's a little bit more than a few links..lol

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 20, 2007

The prices there look great. Have you ordered from them much?

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 20, 2007

I have these mini index cards on a ring that I snap onto my belt buckle each day. I write down notes to myself throughout the day. Then during prep time, I take them off and take a closer look, cross things out, take cards that have been take care of off, etc. I never lose my to do list.

16. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jun 20, 2007

storage tips

Neat stuff. I should send you a shopping list for me (just kidding). Thanks for the great ideas!:thanks:

17. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 21, 2007

I have a couple of tips... I use a tin from IKEA for my popcicle sticks. They come in packs of 3 and are polka dotted, anyway, perfect size. I stuck a library check out sticker inside (the kind used for job charts) and put the used sticks in there.

The other organizing tip is for indidivualized spelling. I give the kids 5 words per week that I have found in their journals or other writing. OR I test them on the HF words and they get words they have missed. I write them on index cards and each child has their own word ring. We play games with the words and they can pair up "randomly" as I pull their set of cards out to determine partners. I keep them accessible to the kids, and they can practice when they are finished with other work.

18. MrsM1

MrsM1 Rookie

Jun 21, 2007

I don't remember where I saw this idea for the posters. A teacher taped a hanger on the poster and hung them on one of those portable poster hanging device. Students could refer back to them. I think if you look for classroom pics (archive) you might see it there.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 21, 2007

Okay, I'm definitely going to make spelling rings this year. I wouldn't buy the ones you can get already on the ring - too expensive. I'll make my own. I love those little colored rectangular cards. They're maybe 2x3 inches or so, maybe less. They can be used for all sorts of things. I'll just hole punch them. And short sentence strips are just $1 at Dollar Tree. You can't beat that.

20. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jun 21, 2007

when I taught 1st, me and my teammate SWORE by the hanging-poster idea mentioned above! we'd tape the top edge of our laminated chart paper (poems, webs, criteria charts, etc)to the bottom part of a hanger. she hung all her charts on a rack, while i got those stick-on coat hooks and put them on two of my closet doors. you can keep several months worth of charts out and available to the students... super handy when they want to practice their favorite poems independently! i also tried this with metal rings, but they often tore through the top and needed frequent repairing.

21. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 21, 2007

That's a good idea to tape the posters to the wire hangers!!!! I was using pants hangers and they would always slip out. Hmmm... I ended up ordering expensive hangers and a wall mount with school money. Oh well.

22. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

You can even color code your hangers. Poems, science, math, grammer, etc. They are so great for centers when you don't have alot of class space. The kids can take them off and hang them on a cabinet knob or edge of a bookshelf. I found the whole idea very handy as a 1st grade teacher.

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 21, 2007

I'm still having trouble picturing the hanging posters idea. I want something though because we have so many that I forget what posters we have and I don't use them well.

24. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jun 22, 2007

CutNglue

Not sure if this is what you are needing, but I use a rack like this to hang my posters on in my room. I have also taped hangers to the back of my posters.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  25. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 22, 2007

I used to order from LTD a long time ago...probably about 10 years ago. Before I became a teacher. From what I remember they were reliable.

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 22, 2007

There wouldn't be a place to put that in our room. Our room is wall to wall cabinets instead. But when you lay them down flat they become hidden.

27. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jun 22, 2007

Color coding them is a brilliant idea!

Pam

28. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 22, 2007

How do you you put the posters on a hanger without them sliding around or falling off?

29. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 22, 2007

I haven't a clue whether her name has been posted yet, but go to http://www.mspowell.com. Ms. Powell has some of the most efficient organization ideas. :)

30. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jun 22, 2007

You could get some of those large adhesive hooks to stick on the cabinet doors for the students to display the posters. One of our teachers used the old wooden writing chart holders that has wheels

31. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 22, 2007

Keep in mind it isn't technically my classroom. I just make cool suggestions and she takes some of them. :) I was thinking we have a closet as part of the cabinets. It's supposed to be for our coats and things but we never use it. I'm not really interested in hanging the posters up for the students to use. I'm wanting something for us. We were organizing during the last week of school and I don't know how many times we said, "Awww...we could have used that!" That's what I'm trying to find a solution for. So now that I thought of that...it's a perfect place for them. Now if I can just understand how they go on the hanger. Many of the posters we make and they vary in sizes.

32. roadrunner

roadrunner Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

We use themes, so I use white poster board and fold in half with about a 1 1/2 in. lip, staple the sides and label my themes on the lip. I put all my posters, pictures, wall words (zip bag), music, art, etc. I use the file boxes you can get a teacher stores (27 x 19 x 7) to file my theme poster pockets.

33. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 23, 2007

Storage...

I am definitely a person who likes to stay as organized as possible! :D I found that I could not handle just having a set of folders for the week. Though it may work for alot of people, it made me crazy! :eek: After a couple weeks of teaching, I went out and bought a set of drawers to keep everything I needed for each day, Mon.-Fri. The set that I got has 6 drawers and I labeled 5 of them with a day of the week and left the 6th drawer for anything I needed to take to the copy room. This way, before the week starts, I can put each activity and any materials I need (with a list of the materials drawer conents) into the assigned drawer - depending on when I plan to do the activities. I find that this also helps ALOT when I have an unexpected absence. Everything that the sub needs is right there in the drawer, minus the lesson plans. I simply take the drawer that is needed out of the case and place it on my desk.

34. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 23, 2007

I ordered this with school money to organize my daily worksheets/materials.
    [​IMG]

I love this! It's so expensive though. $379 :(
    [​IMG]

35. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 23, 2007

How expensive is the daily bin thing that you ordered?

36. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 23, 2007

37. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 23, 2007

Oh I think it was $39.

38. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Jun 23, 2007

I have two of these. One on the table behind my desk which is labeled for subjects. The other one is on a shelf and holds worksheet books, also by subject.

It is usually on sale at Lakeshore during their late summer sale.

39. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jun 24, 2007

i went to kmart and purchased the children's clothes organizer. each cubby is labeled with a day of the week. i put all of my materials (including handouts, manipulatives, books, visuals) in the cubby. it helps me to keep things organized. when i was sick, my students were able to help the sub find all of my materials for the day. they also know where to put the worksheets if there are extras.

i hang the organizer and my charts on a rolling closet rod. the portable closet rod is helpful because we can shift in around the room whenever we need to.

i also have an iris chest for all student materials. one drawer is for office supplies (tape, stapler, extra staples, sharpie markers, hole puncher), one drawer is for student supplies (rulers, scissors, stick glue), two drawers for lined paper, and one drawer for scratch paper. they are responsible for the materials section. because it's in an iris chest, it becomes portable too which is helpful.

40. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jun 24, 2007

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.