Let's share food ideas....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Aug 3, 2008.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 3, 2008

What do you take with you for your lunches/snacks during a school day?

What do you cook for dinner especially on nights when you want a healthy meal that doesn't take a lot of time to fix!

------------------
    I'll probably bring more salads with chicken, cottage cheese, pretzels, string cheese, and sandwiches.

For dinner, we usually have chicken or salmon.

3. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Aug 3, 2008

This year, I will have a mini fridge in my room and I will have lots of homemade "lunchable" supplies that I will just restock when necessary. I plan on taking some chicken or turkey breast (deli sliced) and a couple of kinds of cheese. I always have a couple of boxes of Ritz crackers in a cabinet to give students who feel sick something to eat (they are almost never really sick, so saltines are not needed). I also found this Beer & Brat mustard at Sam's Club that is SO delicious, a bottle or two will probably go in the mini fridge also. That and some fruit or yogurt and I should be set.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 3, 2008

I think the easier meals to pack for lunch are:

pasta salads
    sandwiches
    lettuce salads
    fruit salads
    cold chicken from the day before

5. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

I never leave home without my peanut butter-only Jif and only creamy-I've also taken it to Europe,Costa Rica,Japan, The Bahamas,Greece and Russia-many times it kept me from starving.Now, of course there are few foods I won't eat and sorry I didn't have the courage to try the local cuisines when I was younger.

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2008

I always bring a bagel sandwich. I like to use bagels because they don't get squished like regular bread does. I also like how portable they are and I'm usually getting work done during lunch. My favorite sandwich is deli ham and cream cheese!

Apples are my fruit of choice due to their portability as well.

I try to bring a salad, but I wish they could be easier to eat while making copies. :)

I have a mini-fridge and microwave in my room.

7. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

I'm getting inspired to buy a fridge for my room now! That would be so much easier if I kept things in he fridge instead of having to remember to make my lunch each night or morning. do you all think it's a worthwhile investment????

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2008

Check if your school will let you have a fridge.

9. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

I know other teachers have had them in the past and I'm pretty sure my principal could care less. It's just that our fridge in the teacher's lounge is gross and I hate putting things in it. I'm also a freak about people eating or taking my stuff, not sure why, so having it in my classroom would be a big help. I assume the price of a fridge is pretty reasonable right now because of back to school for college students.

10. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

minor correction

:hijack:so worth it--mine was only 49.00 dollars-a bit small but it fits perfectly under my desk and holds 6 water bottles, my jif and some yogurts too.
    Now..back to food ideas.....:)

11. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

where did you get it? sorry we're off topic. :)

12. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 3, 2008

I usually take leftovers from dinner the night before. If not I usually take salads, pita with hummus, or if I'm lazy a South Beach diet pizza. For snacks I take nuts, string cheese, apples, crackers and cheese (Laughing Cow Lite is my fave!).

What do you cook for dinner especially on nights when you want a healthy meal that doesn't take a lot of time to fix! Chicken. I do chicken and veggies, chicken and pasta... I love couscous. It takes minutes to make. I throw in a can of petite diced tomatoes (drained and rinsed). Yum! I also like to do ground beef tacos. We use extra lean beef and low carb/high fiber tortillas. It takes 15 minutes. So easy!

13. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 3, 2008

I am probably one of the few who eats school lunch. It's only $2.25 this year. We have a salad bar everyday that always has salad then 3 to 4 other fruits. I like to have a hot lunch. I also like to bring the smuckers peanut butters sandwiches in the freezer section. I am not a morning person to make a lunch.

For dinner we eat a lot of ground beef and chicken.

14. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2008

String cheese, slices of turkey, applesauce, bananas or any other fruit that looks good, soup, sandwich, Laughing Cow cheese with Kashi crackers, Kashi Cinnamon Harvest cereal (perfect to eat dry!), pretzels, beef jerkey, yogurt, and any leftovers!

What do you cook for dinner especially on nights when you want a healthy meal that doesn't take a lot of time to fix!
    I have always liked doing oven-baked chicken in a foil bag. The chicken comes out so tender and it's super healthy. I usually season the chicken and toss in some veggies in the foil bag as well. Takes about thirty minutes altogther - 10 to prep and 20 to bake, which those 20 can then be used to take care of chores around the house as you wait.

15. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 3, 2008

I usually bring leftovers for lunch. Otherwise I have string cheese, a couple of heat n' eat soups, or small snack sized 100 calorie packs.

For dinner, I do lots of crock pot meals: pot roasts, beef n' noodles, chili, veggie soup, and bbq are favorites.

16. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

I try to put something in the crockpot before I head out; it doesn't have to be a "meal", but I like to have my meat made and I'll do something with it...chicken or beef stew or porkchops...anything! It makes it a whole lot easier to start with something prepared; at least for me.
    I only work parttime and I still don't like having to come home & cook. :p

17. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

if you have a tried and true crockpot recipe, please share- you can start a new thread- i'll find it! i think this is going to be the way to go this year since i now have a child

for lunch i just do leftovers or sandwiches, for snacks i keep dried fruit like banana chips, since they last forever and crackers

18. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Aug 3, 2008

i would love to hear about some good crock pot recipes. i have never made one before and have been hearing some raves lately abt crock pots but don't know where to start...

Thanks!!

19. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

hmmmm....I remember there being a thread about crockpot recipes recently. Hmmmm...

20. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2008

I would also like to see some crockpot recipes! I plan on buying a crockpot soon because I know how greatly it'll help me to make easy meals throughout my first year of teaching!

21. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

I agree- we have strict guidelines from our fire department.

22. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 4, 2008

23. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2008

24. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Aug 5, 2008

25. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008

how rude...of A-Z! :D The link was working when I originally posted, but now...NOTHING!!! Aughhh...ok; here is what you can do (which I did and it works, but it will only list one thread at a time and there are several choices from this site)

1. Go up to this page on the right-hand side; you will see a rectangular box and the word SEARCH.
    2. Type in the words: CROCKPOT RECIPES and then...
    3. directly underneath, there are 4 choices: A-Z Teacher stuff,
    A to Z Forums, Downloads Store and Web (Google). Choose: A to Z Forums and then hit the Search button.

You now have your choice of Crock pot threads. :love:

26. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

the link works for me--maybe you have a firewall that is preventing you from accessing the site?

27. Lilymax

Lilymax Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

Well, phooey...I tried to post a link to another really good crock pot recipe site, but I'm too new to post links, so...

Go to crockpot365 dot blogspot dot com and check it out. She is very creative!