Let's see those websites! :)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by suzzy123, Jul 9, 2008.

1. suzzy123

suzzy123 Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

Okay...moving on to my next summer project. I am going to set up a blog/website for my classroom. Are any of you willing to share your site so that I can get some ideas??? I am open to all suggestions! :2up:

3. amelie77

amelie77 Rookie

4. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 9, 2008

7. katenar

katenar Cohort

8. suzzy123

suzzy123 Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

I am trying to work on a epals site which is also free with no ads. Anyone out there use epals school blogs?

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 9, 2008

Miss Froggy and I are working on using epals to do e-mail pen pals. Which reminds me... I should play around with that today....

Katenar-love the new avitar.

10. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

There are two links in my signature for you to check out. My classroom website is linked in my classroom blog.

11. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

How much do y'all pay for yours? I know TeacherWeb charges like $29 a year which is not bad....but...........:unsure:

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 9, 2008

$7 a year for the domain (easy to remember-just my name!), and then $5 a month for 12 pages per site, $10 a month for unlimited pages. But that covers up to 25 sites. So both of my sites are covered for $10 a month. And I could make up to 23 more if I wanted to buy the domains for still just that $10 a month.

13. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

I bookmarked you and added you to my website before, but I hadn't looked at it in awhile. Wow! I love your newer adds. And your classroom economy is awesome! If you don't mind, I will link your page to my section on a classroom economy. It is great!!!!

14. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

15. Ems

Ems Rookie

16. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 9, 2008

Mine is super-simple but serves the purpose since most parents in my area don't use computers. I use the site for those parents and students that do want extra resources and have computer access. I mainly use it in the classroom as a way to manage student internet use. I will be reorganizing the links to make my site correspond with the new textbook.

www.102skinner.blogspot.com

17. Jazzy*Jai

Jazzy*Jai Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

I loved your website. I am going into my second year of teaching (it feels like it will be my first all over again because I as of yet don't know what school or grade I will be teaching-I'm just in limbo). Your site led me to something I had no idea about-power teaching. I have only watched two videos on youtube about it and I am super excited to try some of these things.

18. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

I would like to take a look at some of these services. I have a simple class website through Scholastic. Most of my parents do not use computers either. I mainly have the page for the students to use during free time. I have sites on their that will help them with concepts we are learning. I also have appropriate sites for our free time. I like how simple it is to use, but I'd also like to personalize a site for my class. Thanks for all the input!

19. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

Hi, Jai. I really just started learning about Power Teaching a month ago myself, but I was so motivated by it. It is my style, and it just makes sense. I even shared a few emails with Chris Biffle, who is just great. I will add more on the site as I experience it personally. There are a lot of free resources too that will help you!

20. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jul 9, 2008

21. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 9, 2008

lol - you don't want to know what I pay if you think $29 might be too much. :D

I go through Yahoo at pay $12 a month. It's a lot but I never EVER have any problems and it works for me. I may look at changing to another host but we'll see.

22. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 9, 2008

Thanks missred4190!! I'm constantly updating my site especially during the summer. :D Oddly enough, it's when I have more time to do so.

Please feel free to link to my page. :up:
    :

23. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 9, 2008

Here's mine. It's through freewebs and so far it's been great! Oh yeah, it's free, but you have the option of upgrading if you don't mind paying and you would like more features. I figure if I like them enough I'll upgrade, but for now I'll take the free route!

http://www.freewebs.com/mrsfieldsclass/

24. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 10, 2008

Mine:

http://www.teachingvision.org

(Yawns) I just got back in town, and this topic was started while I was gone. What visions do you have for your website? Do you want to purchase your own domain, make the site through a company like Scholastic, or register a blog only? There's so many options for teachers out there. Good luck!

25. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 10, 2008

26. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2008

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing!! I'm hoping to create one of my own this summer (in the free time I have, which isn't much right now!)...I can't want to show it off to you when I'm ready:)

27. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 10, 2008

28. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 10, 2008

I could say the same about you! :haha:

29. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Jul 10, 2008

30. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 10, 2008

Is there any place where you need a new idea? :) I might get bored in the next few weeks, and I may want to upload/create something.

I think a lot of people here have beautiful websites. It always inspires me. Katenar rocks, also. :haha:

31. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 10, 2008

Ahhhhhhh.....thank you Ms.Jasztal!!! :hugs:

32. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 10, 2008

I remember how difficult it was to make my website at first three summers ago. I originally made it a 100% resource for students, including sites like http://www.teachingvision.org/floridamap. Then I realized eventually how teachers are always looking for new resources and started focusing more on them. Teachers like Mrs. Renz and Mrs. Newingham then inspired me even more to begin posting pictures of my students/their projects online. :) Now it's become a little bit of everything.

By the way, these teachers rock- http://teachingvision.org/classrooms.html

Among those sites are Mrs. Renz and Mrs. Newingham's websites as well as other really strong ones. Not as many know about Mr. Roemer's site, but he has his 5th graders journal in his class blog on a daily basis. Mrs. Bunyi is a Scholastic teacher advisor for the 2008-2009 school year, and she is extremely nice. Mrs. Sanchez and I write over e-mail because we both teach in Florida... she's also very personable and has a lot to offer on her website. I remember the first site I ever found besides Mrs. Renz is Mr. Vincent's. Then a few work at the school I interned at in St. Augustine. There are so many neat classrooms online... and I keep finding out about more!! :)

33. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

Here is mine

www.kinderfrogs.com

It is still a work in progress. The only thing that I am having trouble with is in my about me page is a link to see pictures of my family. In ie only the first two pics show up. But in netscape you can see all of them. I use Dreamweaver, but can't figure out what is going on. Any ideas???:help:

34. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

Love the site, jmevno. I could see all your pictures just fine in Firefox.

35. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 14, 2008

What sort of software are you using to make your pages? These look so nice!

(I started a googlepages one, but don't like how the format is limited...)

36. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

I miss my old middle school website. I kept it up for three years after I quit because parents and homeschoolers were still using the links, but I finally took it down. The college websites aren't creative outlets, but I have my personal blog and all my clients' blogs. Blogger is free and has no ads. However, I put BlogHer ads on my blog, because the payout is GREAT.

37. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

I bought the template from Thistle Girl Designs and some of the Graphics came from Graphic Garden. Then I use Dreamweaver to edit the pages. The template was already made all I had to do was open up the index page and start typing. I don't know a whole lot about using code. I also had to add text on the buttons using a picture editor program.