Let's see some positive thoughts in this situation (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Linguist92021, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2020

I am 100% with you on the above paragraph. You have prepped at a young age. That is smart. Many younger people do not think that way nowadays.
    It is your choice to eat out if you don't like to cook. For your safety, I worry though about restaurants. ( Even really nice ones..)
    When there is illness going around, I'd prefer the fewest people touching my food as possible. I know stuff in my house has not been touched for almost a month. Most longer than that. You could not pay me enough to eat something prepared in a restaurant right now. Even though the salad sounds really good right now. :)
    My family (-2) are all following these practices, so we can eat safely together. The -2 make me sad because they can't stop social distancing for a long reason.
    I feel bad that they can't join us. We can't have them around an elderly person in our family. Until this is over, I am not going to the store, let alone a restaurant. Keep in mind, most restaurants do not even give most of their employees health care options. Plus, they are touching your food. Since you have everything you need, please consider eating at home until this passes.

2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 18, 2020

I only visit a number of restaurants who I know the managers of and who strictly enforce that all employers wear PPE. They also don’t allow other patrons to physically enter the restaurants — only employees are allowed and they sanitize each surface nightly. I’ve done my homework, but I really appreciate your concern. :)

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 18, 2020

Regarding lunch... I'm on paper of the view that if my taxes went toward it, I have a right to access it within reason and rules. I figure the money for meals is already there. My sister, a teacher in my daughter's district, was tending her the other week, felt like a walk, and walked my daughter down to the school to grab a proffered lunch for her. Didn't bother me none and the school was offering to anyone, rich or poor, in the district.

But generally, I don't bother, because it's actually easier to feed my kids and I can afford it at this time.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 19, 2020

I am constantly in the kitchen nowadays! Whether I’m using the oven, stove, Crockpot, or InstaPot—I feel like I’m always cooking. On a positive note, I’ve stockpiled some great recipes.

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 19, 2020

Anything in particular worth sharing? We need to use our instapot for more than just chili.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 19, 2020

Sigh. We can't do our sushi outings anymore. No one delivers sushi or offers it for pickup.

7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2020

Slowing down has been a positive thing.

bella84 and MrsC like this.
  8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 19, 2020

Totally agree. This is the first spring in years (maybe ever) that I've actually noticed the trees growing leaves and flowers blooming over a period of days. Usually I'm so wrapped up in living life that I go from seeing bare trees and plants to one day noticing that there are fully grown leaves and flowers there. I've enjoyed watching nature unfold this year.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2020

My daughter and I were talking about this yesterday; I see a growing awareness of small businesses and desire to help them however we can. In the past couple of days, I have ordered from a local cidery, a local catering company who is offering a wide variety of grocery and home products, and a small local pub that is providing a meal to a family in need for every food order they receive. All offered either free contactless delivery or had contactless pickup protocols. I could have purchased everything at my local grocery store for about the same price, but I know that store is not suffering like the small places are.

a2z likes this.
  10. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2020

For the last 20 years or so, we decided that our small businesses aren't worth the extra money. I understand for some people that every penny counts, but small, family-owned, and worker-owned businesses were the backbone of our society until we allowed the corporate monsters drive small businesses away (along with the ever growing regulations on businesses which large corporations can eat but small businesses just can't).

Now we are doing this even more with our "on-line" buying. Soon we will have few, if any, local stores. I have to laugh with all the talk about "going green" and "carbon footprints" when I look at all of the packaging that goes into sending a 4 inch by 6 inch item in a 12x 10 in box with tons of plastic inside to protect it. Oh, yes. Everyone is so worried about the environment and ignore the damage that this "send-it-to-me" society is creating. Is it called Amazon because it uses the entire Amazon forest to ship all of those packages?

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for a clean environment, but reduce and resuse will do so much more for the environment than having things delivered to your home so you don't have to drive to the store.

bella84, Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 19, 2020

The birds outside my window and in backyard... so loud and so beautiful! I don't know if I'm noticing them more because I'm home all the time, during the day when I used to always be gone, or it's that everything slowed down, less people and less cars on the street.
    But I have all these birds visiting my orange trees and just all around singing their songs, waiting for each other to finish and then another starts, but I've never heard them so clear and so loud So beautiful, I love it. It's like they're giving me a concert.

CaliforniaRPCV, bella84 and a2z like this.
  12. Tired Teacher

Apr 19, 2020

I wonder if the time will come where we can send packaging back (broken down carefully.) I remember my mom telling me that during WW11, they brought toothpaste containers back to be refilled. They must have been shaped differently then. We really have become a "throw away" society.
    I'd prefer to buy local, but we can't get local stuff until June or July. My dad has always had a green house and nice vegetable garden even into his mid 80's. This is the 1st yr he probably won't make 1. Last year, it had dwindled from producing enough for family, friends, neighbors, and the Food Bank to maybe 10 rows.
    He grew up on a farm and has always done it kind of as a hobby. I am really looking forward when locals are able to grow again.
    I know 1 older couple who have kept isolated during this time ( except for a few family members) who are doing the same. 1 of the members is my bf. I can't wait to have fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, and a big salad!
    I'll pay 2x as much to get it from them than the local stores because I know they are people who have been careful during this time. I haven't bought any fresh produce in about a month. I have frozen veggies and fruit, as well as canned. When someone mentioned a salad yesterday it sounded so good!

13. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2020

I absolutely understand that not everyone lives where they can buy local. We have some very remote areas in the country or very hard to get to during some times in the year.

It will be a hard fight for our country to go back to a society where there are local businesses because we all but forced the young to move away from small towns.

On another note, I was watching a show about the 80s and they were talking about how the mid 80s was the big mind shift on self. It became the "me" society which they said were the hippies of the late 60s and 70s that became the force in the "me" generation of the 80s. I guess when you only concern yourself with yourself, it is hard to see how your actions impact others well being. When people want the most for themselves, it is impossible to care if the others have anything left for them.

I will note here that I am not talking about someone stepping back for their health or well being of a family member or themselves.

Backroads and Tired Teacher like this.
  14. Tired Teacher

Apr 19, 2020

This is true. I think there was a huge change in child rearing w/ the hippie generation. Fortunately, not all people were hippies bought into being their child's best friend. I had a parent tell me 20 years ago they believed in letting their daughter ( who had F's for doing absolutely nothing....all year despite being capable....) grow up free like a wild flower to blossom and bloom w/out any restrictions placed on her.
    She is now an adult and I really can't take any pleasure in saying, "I told you so!" She is a train wreck, still at home, and has never even had a job.
    Normally, I don't have much time for TV, but have been staying up a bit later. I found this show called Intervention. On 1 of the shows, with real people, the mother of an alcoholic off the rails, finally admits she shouldn't have tried to be her daughter's best friend by taking her out clubbing and drinking with her at a young age.
    I wish so bad we could show that to some parents around here. Then teach them better ways to raise their kids. These parents who raise their kids to think they are the center of the universe, raise the kids who can't see beyond themselves.

15. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 19, 2020

I support my local businesses, but the convenience of Amazon is undeniable. I get tired of driving to places near and far, only to find they don’t have the item(s) in store, they don’t have the right size, or I get there and they just sold the last one, or if they do have it I then have to deal with long lines and employees who stand around and chat amongst themselves instead of helping customers. The commute and price of gas also has to be factored.

That, or I could just place an order on Amazon, select the right size or whatever, and have it arrive like two days later or within the same day in certain instances. And all from the safety of my couch at home. It’s amazing!

Amazon is here to stay and as a result of small businesses shuttering their doors permanently, it will only continue to grow more prominent and powerful. Jeff Bezos truly is a genius because he recognized that in order to stay in business past 20-30 years he would have to buy into emerging industries and always buy in to the next best thing; hence, Amazon and all of its company buyouts through the years.

16. Tired Teacher

Apr 19, 2020

Back to positive thoughts: I am wondering how many teachers are finding that they are getting a lot of Thank you messages and appreciation from parents lately. I have been floored by the parents who are so supportive ( others are not participating in online school) who are really trying and see how hard it is to get just their own decent kid to work.
    I have seen more appreciation in the last month than I have in years combined now. It is different with different people, I know, but a heart felt letter of appreciation means more to me than 1,000 bucks or gift.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2020

The day before our last day with students I was put into a boot for an achilles tendon injury. We had tried other things for several months, and it wasn't working. I did one day at school with the boot, and it was hard. It has gotten so much better since I've been off of it a lot.

We also have five happy dogs because they love having us home all day.

Backroads likes this.
  18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2020

Since it is so hard to shop for necessities where I live, I have decided to begin gardening. I bought some window boxes and potting soil to grow things on my outside porch. Found an online website to buy seeds (can't get those where I live). So, I'm looking forward to my (hopeful) green thumb and fresh veggies on the table!

tigger88 and Backroads like this.
  19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 20, 2020

I saw a post that was shared from the school district where I live saying that if your child gets free/reduced lunch then you can come to a certain pick up spot to pick up meals. It sounds like they have a list of kids who are supposed to be getting the meals so not anyone off the street could take it.

Backroads likes this.
  20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2020

Our rescue dog is beyond thrilled to have us home with him all day. We are worried about the separation anxiety he will go through again once we return to work.

21. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2020

That's not whining, that's concern. And you're last, so she won't have to wait as long to spoil yours, so all good!

22. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2020

Our dogs are happy that we are home much more, but honestly, I think they had some routines down that kept them quite entertained. Being home all day has allowed me to watch Cal, the avatar, patrol lawns three deep on either side of our house. He is fenced, but it doesn't keep him from alerting when he sees other dogs, people, or deliveries at the neighbor's houses. The cocker is less diligent, being more concerned about rabbits on the other side of the fence going into the pasture. He alerts, then Cal keeps them in laser focus until they finally disappear. The baby foxes have kept both dogs on their toes.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 21, 2020

Someone I know had a grandchild born a few weeks ago. She went to the house and the baby was held up to the window so the grandma could see her.

24. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 21, 2020

One of my students said that she got me a gift due to my doggie passing away and she dropped it off at school when she picked up her packet last Friday. Today I went to pick it up (they hold everything for a few days just in case it's contaminated)
    And I just wanted to cry. She included a note, and it was a necklace with the picture of a German shepherd and my doggie's name (Oso) embedded. It was so sweet. But, on top of that, when I called her to thank her and said that the doggie looks just like my Oso, she said it IS Oso! I sent her a picture of him when he was still just sick, she took that picture and have them make it based off on that.
    What a wonderful, compassionate thing to do, I am still floored, such a sweet student.

25. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 22, 2020

A former student sent me a message thanking me for working him so hard in English his freshman year of high school because he uses what he learned all the time in college. I taught that student three different courses while he was in high school. He was one of those lovable stinkers. He also thanked me for continuing to follow his college career (he's an athlete, and I always like or comment on his videos he posts for recruitment.)

It made my day to get that message yesterday, and at a time when I really needed it!

stargirl, Backroads and MrsC like this.
  26. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Apr 30, 2020

Had a few nice meals today. Breaking keto is awesome!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  27. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 1, 2020

A former student who has just completed her credential sent me her cover letter, in which she gives me credit, in detail, for inspiring her to become an English teacher. Made me cry.

28. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

May 12, 2020

My husband and I are getting kittens in a week and a half! Their names are Jack Pepper and Oliver Dakota and we got to meet them in person last night. They are SO. STINKING. CUTE. I need to figure out how to post a picture of them...

Well. Here's Oliver. Jack Pepper looks exactly the same (but with a bit less white on his chest and a much bigger voice).
    7AFE7172-86B8-4630-A417-86B55859B7DA_1_201_a.jpeg

29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 12, 2020

Interesting names! Did you name them or are they already named?

30. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

May 12, 2020

They're already named and we just loved the names. I actually applied to adopt Jack Pepper BECAUSE of his name -- there was no picture on the website, but his name was too funny and cute!

31. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 12, 2020

Kitties!!!!

32. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 12, 2020

We have Chloe, the twin to your little lovely.

33. Tired Teacher

May 12, 2020

OMGoodness! You are tempting me beyond belief! I love kittens and puppies! I will wait until the time is right for me....I must repeat that saying 100x. I want 1 so bad!!!!!!!