Let's see some positive thoughts in this situation (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Linguist92021, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 22, 2020

People are stressed, and even here all we talk about is the reality of the situation - which is important, it's good to vent, share, learn, get informed, etc.

Let's talk about some positives. What you done or experienced, or even just seen on internet / news that was positive, compassionate, helpful?

My mom told that in Hungary there is a lady who's business is making bridal dresses. Now obviously her shop is closed and she's sitting at home. So to do something with her time and help others, she's sewing masks. All kinds of masks with cute designs and print for kids, etc. All this free of charge.
    Once others heard about it, they followed suit and started making masks. Then fabric retailers started sending them all kinds of fabric so they can use, all for free.
    I think that's pretty cool.

I've seen videos in Italy where people cannot actually leave their homes, and a lot of them live in apartments, that an opera singer went out into the courtyard to serenade all the quarantined people. Another video said that a personal trainer goes out there (may every day, I'm not sure), and lead everyone on a work out. They can see him and they can do it on their balcony. These are in a place with hundreds of families stuck in their apartments.

I can't really do anything large scale like this, but I did text my neighbor to check on her and let her know if she needs something just ask (she's elderly). I will continue to go volunteer at the animal shelter walking the dogs (I've been doing it for a few months) as long as they let me. Those doggies are moreso forgotten now, actually a lot of people abandon their pets fearing that they will transmit the coronavirus.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2020

Thanks so much for this, Linguist!

My Book Club (all coworkers, some of whom have retired or moved to another school) has a text conversation going. We "talk" throughout the day, filling each other in on how we are spending time, sharing pictures, music and videos we come across. That connection is so important.

We are so fortunate to be experiencing this at a time when we have the world at our fingertips. There is so much available free online right now: concerts, workouts, courses (I think I'm going to take a course in American Sign Language--something I've always wanted to do but never made time for), art tutorials, cooking classes, and so much more.

I'm trying to make note, each day, of three things that I am thankful or grateful for. It's so easy to focus on the fear and I need to be purposeful about looking past that.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 22, 2020

I agree. We're so lucky that we have the technology - social media, internet, all kinds of ways to communicate with people, so that we don't really feel closed in.
    Can you imagine if this happened 30 years ago? We would have the phone and tv.

I am also loving that stores and business come together and try to help, instead of taking advantage. A lot of grocery stores set side special hours in the morning for the elderly to shop. Some even have special ours for first responders, police, health care professionals, etc.
    Our gym closed and they froze all memberships. They're also offering a free 1 hour online workout every day.

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 22, 2020

IDK if this is just here or not, but stores for food have set aside the 1st couple of hours per day to let seniors ONLY shop. It is right after they have cleaned, restocked, and reopened.

I have had people at work give me 3 really kind things that would seem ridiculous during normal times. 1 guy asked how it was going. I joked back it'd be better if I had sanitizer! He slipped me a bag about an hr later filled w/ sanitizer. I have no clue where he got it.
    Stores have been out for wks.
    Then I was just joking around about TP and some1 else slipped me 4 rolls. ( Stores have been out for 3 wks. We live remote.)
    Another person had ventured to the store and found kettle corn. He had misunderstood a conversation from earlier. I had a friend who had talked about loving it, but the thought was so sweet that he had thought he found my favorite food still on the shelf. I should give it to my friend, but don't want it to get back to him. ( Small circle..) I will eat it at some time. :)

Oh, and it is so cool to hear from so many friends all over. Everybody is calling to check up during this time. Some are so busy ( like me) that we only catch up during summer break.

Linguist92021 likes this.
  6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 22, 2020

In addition to having an autoimmune disease and being on immunotherapy, I have kidney failure. The water in my town is "hard" water and laden with minerals. It is just barely okay for healthy people, but for someone with kidney failure -- I can't drink the tap water here.

Every two weeks, I have a standing order with a local grocery to deliver 12 gallon bottles of purified water. I can't drink spring water or distilled water -- just purified water. (I don't have one of those huge water dispensers at my house because I can't manipulate the huge 5 gallon bottles, or even the half-size 2 and a 1/2 gallon bottles.) Anyway, it works for me.

So last Monday, the delivery person for the store rang my bell. She looked at me like she had something bad to tell me, and she did. The store had instituted a "2 gallon" limit on bottled water, so they were only delivering two bottles! I only had 2 bottles on hand, and I drink about 1 gallon a day, so you can see the problem. I knew it wasn't the delivery person's fault. She had no control over the situation. And I totally understand why the store did this -- it is only fair to make sure that everybody gets a little instead of letting a few people hoard everything. They had no way to know I wasn't a hoarder. I thought about it for a while. I could put in a daily delivery order for 2 gallons -- but there is a surcharge and you have to tip the driver -- so that would make it very expensive, and there is a 5-day back-up right now in deliveries. I tried to call the manager, but the phone was constantly busy.

Not knowing what else to do, I went on Facebook to my neighborhood's Facebook page, and explained my dilemma to my neighbors. I asked them if they were already going to the grocery could they pick up 2 bottles of purified water for me? I explained what the label looked like, and that I was a kidney patient and really needed this.

I'm new to the neighborhood and don't know many people yet. So many people responded! Several people showed up at my door with two gallons of purified water each. It really made me feel good.

And then, a young couple knocked on my door. In they walked with 10 gallons of the purified water! I asked them how they got so much, and they said they drove down to the grocery and talked directly with the manager, who felt so bad when she found out the situation, that she sent 10 bottles of the water with them FOR FREE! It just goes to show you that there are some very good people in the world.

I'm glad I got it when I did -- because that store has since run out of purified water, and they only have spring water available.

I now have enough purified water for a bit over two weeks. I'm saving the bottles because another neighbor has a reverse-osmosis water filtering system and said if I had the bottles, he would fill them up as I needed them. I have my handy-dandy water/mineral/impurities gauge, so I checked it out, and sure enough the water from his system was as pure as the purified water I buy in the store. It definitely meets the requirements so it won't harm my kidneys.

I am just so relieved, because the last thing I want to do right now is resort to drinking water that my kidneys can't properly process. To help keep me from having to do dialysis, I drink a minimum of 100 oz of purified water a day! (and that is a lot of water!) I don't want to end up in the hospital right now if there is any way to avoid it. They have their hands full with virus patients.

So my neighbors really came through for me. I'm so grateful for all their help.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 22, 2020

Most people around here seem to be behaving well. I was at the grocery for my mom Friday afternoon, and the store manager was getting food orders from all the cashiers. He was buying them all supper from a local drive in restaurant.

DH and I went to one of our favorite local spots for carry out that day, too. We made sure to tip extra because it’s hard on these small businesses. The governor is encouraging people to order takeout from local restaurants.

Our governor is making fans all over with his daily 5pm updates.

Our dogs are loving the extra attention. I’m a homebody, so I’m enjoying not having to go anywhere. I like my lounge clothes and no makeup.

Backroads and Linguist92021 like this.
  8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 22, 2020

I love, love, love this story!!! Had me on the edge of my seat at first, though.

stargirl and RainStorm like this.
  9. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Mar 23, 2020

Rainstorm, how beautiful!

RainStorm likes this.
  10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 23, 2020

I think book clubs are a great thing right now. Depending no the month, I'm involved with 3-5 online bookclubs. They are a great way to connect with people, read new books, and get your mind of other things.

Linguist92021, RainStorm and MrsC like this.
  11. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 23, 2020

Rain- Look up online the Big Berkey Water filter. It is something the military used to purify filthy water. Many people who live "off the grid" have them. We have heavy iron and even arsenic in wells around here. I have used one for years and love it.
    They are very well known in survivalist groups. You can drink pond water after it is filtered w/1. It is not like the cheap ones you have seen. It is gravity fed.
    Even though it costs about 300 bucks, it eventually will save you money buying water. Plus if you keep it on a low counter or table, you never lift anything. That is what I do.

Linguist92021 and whizkid like this.
  12. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 23, 2020

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 23, 2020

My great news right now is that I am eagerly awaiting the birth of my first grandchild in September!

14. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 24, 2020

I got married on Sunday! We found out our county was moving toward shelter-in-place, did NOT want to be separated for 30 days since his brother was already not thrilled about him going back and forth between his place and mine, so our pastors, my mom, and my MOH helped me pull off a wedding on less than 24 hours notice.

It's a little bittersweet that we didn't get to have the wedding and honeymoon we had been planning, but our closest 20 friends and family + our photographer all made it and we even got to have a little mini reception. It was beautiful and very sweet.

15. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 25, 2020

16. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Mar 25, 2020

17. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 25, 2020

That deserves a big congratulations!

Tired Teacher and miss-m like this.
  18. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 25, 2020

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2020

Many people are being more purposeful about connecting or reconnecting with others. I had a phone call yesterday afternoon from an old friend. We taught together for a couple of years and he coached my daughter in basketball for about 5 years; the girls were inseparable, so we spent a lot of time together. We fell out of touch, but have met up for a drink a couple of times in the past couple of years. He called just to check in and we spoke for more than half an hour. As well, one of our staff members set up a private Facebook group for our staff so that we can maintain some of that social connection we are all missing.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  20. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 28, 2020

I usually only use my cell for talking and texting w/ the microphone. Sometimes, I'll send pictures. I don't pay much for my data because I would not have used it..
    I got a text last night from the phone company telling me that due to this virus, they are just giving me free data ( a lot) for the next 2 months.
    Now I don't have to try to explain things to someone in another country that doesn't speak English to get it changed. I tried to do that about 3 weeks ago, but it wasted hours, it was a circle of press 1 ifs......press 2 if... and then the lady did not understand what I wanted.
    I do respect and feel for people doing jobs like that overseas, but it is frustrating when they don't understand English, are following a script, and your Q is not on the script.

21. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 28, 2020

I guess there is one positive coming out of this virus. I get to be home all day long and monitor my very sick doggie. He is still not doing better. Not worse, but not better. I don't knw if he will make a full recovery or will die. we are in between. But this would be a lot more difficult if I had to leave him alone for 7 hours every day, not knowing how much water he drank, if he peed or pooped. And couldn't leave food out for him because the other 2 would eat it.

22. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 28, 2020

I got a message like that too.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  23. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 28, 2020

The House is saying that we're possibly getting another round of stimulus some time this summer.

24. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 28, 2020

Trying to be happy despite a separate whining post.

My daughter decided one of her quarantine goals would be to learn to ride her bike. 2 days in and she has mastered the basics! It's been a good time to do it.

miss-m and a2z like this.
  25. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 29, 2020 at 10:35 AM

He or she will be one of the first coronials, haha!

Backroads likes this.
  26. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 29, 2020 at 10:43 AM

How exciting! We just had a new family member last week. Scary and exciting at the same time.

Backroads likes this.
  27. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 29, 2020 at 11:52 AM

My mother is one of the older people now stereotypically famous for wanting to go out. We are having a baby boom (just mine to go) and she's upset she can't visit the babies.