Let's See How Much on a Budget I Can Live On!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 3, 2012

As other posters have said you don't get actual channels through the Roku, but access to content on demand. I get both hulu plus and Netflix to give me more variety. Since basic cable is part of my rent I only pay $16 a month for all of my television. There are only a few shows that I miss that I used to watch, but having hulu plus and Netflix give me plenty of alternatives. Even if I didn't get basic cable included in rent I would probably still pay for it if for no other reason to watch sports during the season. But basic cable with hulu plus and netflix is still much cheaper than for me to have digital cable and a DVR.

As far as hooking it up I just ordered it off of Amazon and hooked it up myself within a couple of minutes after opening the box. The regular cables came with it, but I got an HDMI cable to use with it instead so I can watch things in high definition.

2. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 4, 2012

150,000 channels? That's a lot of channels. Maybe 150,000 shows?

3. bison

bison Habitué

May 4, 2012

Their "channels" are different than regular channels. I think it'd be less confusing and maybe more accurate if they called them apps instead. They have things like internet radio stations, news stuff, games, facebook access, Pandora, etc. Pretty much anything. Some of them are free and some cost money. Some are made by companies and some are just made by people on the internet (these aren't on their main channel store but can be accessed some other way, not sure how). That's why there are so many. Some are good, a lot are junk. For example, a channel for a major news station may not have all of the regular shows, but a lot of clips and a few episodes of different things. They all vary quite a bit.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 4, 2012

Thanks guys for all your Roku comments. :) I could care less about any music. I seem to be back & forth on the teeter totter regarding if I should try out Roku instead of getting regular cable TV right away. Hmmm. :confused:

I'll be getting together w/ a few pals soon. I'll ask them what they know about it.

Any other comments on Roku OR anything else at all on saving money? :)

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 4, 2012

Would anyone be willing to share what they pay for wireless internet without bundling it with anything (no cable, land line, etc.)? I am thinking of going the no-cable route too but wonder how much my internet would be if I dropped the cable since they are bundled. I currently pay almost 120 a month for both combined, which I think is really high. I have the wireless internet and then about 80-90 cable channels or something like that. Basically all of the "normal" ones without HBO or anything like that. That also includes the xfinity service which lets you watch the shows later. Of course the first year I had the service it was only around 60 a month because they offer all of those "x price for one year" deals. I currently have comcast.

Also, does it vary by region on how much they would charge for that stuff? I currently live in a VERY high cost of living area. The area I'm moving to is cheaper. Would having a different address matter?

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 4, 2012

I am in NY and I pay 49.95 per month for internet only. When I had the bundle I was paying about 160 per month. I couln't take it anymore. Someone from the cable company actually came to my door and asked why I cancelled cable. I told her that every 4 months the bill got higher and I was sick of it.

7. bison

bison Habitué

May 4, 2012

We pay $40/month for just internet in SoCal.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 4, 2012

40 or 50 a month would be great! Plus just 8 for hulu...I'm definitely going to look into it! It's nice to be able to just flip on the tv and watch something, but not for 120 bucks a month! I really want to get a pet when I move but was concerned about the costs (extra deposit, monthly fee, food, vet,care when I'm out of town, etc.) That would totally free up some extra money for that!

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 4, 2012

Yeah, that cable & internet are the killers of bills! :mad:

Has anyone ever heard of Clear internet sevice or know someone who has it? It's 4G & offers 3 plans for $30 & $40 a month.

http://internet.clear.com/

bison, what internet company are you with?

10. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 4, 2012

For Internet, does anyone use their cell phone to use to tether wireless? I have no idea how it works but my dad has it and a guy at my work has it and I think he pays $15 a month for it. I think I'm going to ask my phone company because the way I understood it, your cell phone acts like a wireless modem. ??? I have no idea I'd I'm even explaining this right. When my dad was at my sisters house he was able to get on his wireless network from his cell phone.

That might be a way to save money.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 4, 2012

We can't get cable out here, but... I was going through our emails last night and saw our DIRECTV bill...most all of our bills are automatically deducted from our bank account so I don't pay too much attention to things. But I noticed the "previously paid" amount on this satellite bill was $357 so I called my husband to the office...I thought it was a mistake. No, just his baseball sports package. I like baseball as well, but man! So stay away from the sports packages...haha. :haha: / :rolleyes:

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 4, 2012

I pay $26.95 a month for my Internet. It is billed with my phone, but I don't get any kind of discount on it.

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 4, 2012

My internet is $30/month.

14. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 4, 2012

My friend was saying you can make your phone a "hotspot" for like 10 dollars a month and then you could use it with your laptop. However, it does take all of that data to make it work. I know I'm on my internet a lot when I'm at home, and from what I've heard phone plans don't offer "unlimited data" anymore.

15. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 4, 2012

Good to know. I didn't think about it applying to your data plan. I go over my data plan every month just from my iphone.

16. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

May 4, 2012

yes, I own a 1500sq. ft townhome and I have had electric bills that low. It all depends on what appliances run, if any, on natural gas.My stove, dryer and water heater, furnace run on gas.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 5, 2012

Those sound good. What companies do you guys have?

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 5, 2012

If you want to keep your electric bill low make sure you unplug electronic devices if you're not using them. We got a letter from our electric company with tips on how to save $ and it says that those things use electric if they are plugged in even if they are not turned on. I had no idea.

19. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 5, 2012

Gas can be a good alternative to electricity and lower your electric bill, but one thing I've not seen from the people who are using gas is their gas bill.

It isn't monthly, like electricity. Instead, you are charged the full price when the gas is delivered. Depending on the size of your propane tank and the price/gallon of gas, this charge can be several hundred dollars, so that needs to be figured into the "monthly" bills as well. If it costs $600 to fill our tank, that is another $50/month utility, only it all comes due at once.

I don't know if urban areas have the price of gas included or coupled with the rent, but that is something else that needs to be factored in. Otherwise, you can be in for a very bad surprise when you get the gas bill.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 5, 2012

Good reminder!

21. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 5, 2012

My gas bill is monthly. The most I've ever seen it is about 80 dollars in the winter. In the summer it's typically less than 20.

22. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 5, 2012

That makes sense if it is used mainly for heat. How much is your gas bill for the year?

We use gas heat as a backup. Even so, it still costs about $300+ to get the tank filled back up each year.

23. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 5, 2012

You can have gas piped into your house just like water. It's natural gas, not propane in the big propane tanks.

Most of our house runs on electricity. An exception is the dryer. Evidently our stove can also run on gas, but there was an electric stove when we moved in and we didn't realize it until we replaced it and saw the gas hookups.