Lets post our favorite first week of school activity!!!!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Teacher13, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Teacher13

Teacher13 Rookie

Aug 28, 2006

Mine is the reading the book Ms. Bindergarten gets ready for Kindergarten. Then the kids make a class book titled "Mrs. _________'s Class gets ready for Kindergarten". I give each child a photo copy of the page:

_____(name)_____ gets ready for kindergarten by ____________.

My aid and I go around and write in the black what the kids did to get ready (got dressed, packed my packback, bought school supplies, brushed my hair . . .). They they draw a picture of what we wrote for them and we bind the book.

3. MissB

MissB Companion

Aug 28, 2006

What a great idea! I can't wait to see what others post. I am a new kindergarten teacher. I just got hired today and have my first teacher day tomorrow! I need all the ideas I can get!

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 29, 2006

Mine was the tornado we had the first day of school, in a new building. ;) JK
    I like to read a bunch of different beginning of the year books, like "First Day Jitters". I also like to read a book about whatever special we go to that day. Say we go to the Library today, then I read "Arthur's trip to the Library" (or whatever it's real title is).

5. Teacher13

Teacher13 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006

I like the special book idea!! Do you have one for all specials!! That great since kindergartens dont really know what a "Special" is!

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 30, 2006

I do have one for all the specials (P.E, Computer Lab, Music, Library, and Art). I even have one for recess (since we as teachers consider that time really special ;) ). I can't remember the titles at the moment (several of them are Arthur books, and one is a Tomie dePalola book) since I have them in different boxes. We've moved into a new building and I haven't found them all yet.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 30, 2006

The other one that's fun for the first day with specials (especially if they haven't been before) are the Black Lagoon books. :)

8. mrs.teacher5

mrs.teacher5 Companion

Aug 30, 2006

I got this idea from another website and the kids loved it...I start off by acting like a train and going up to a child and saying choo, choo, choo who are you? They say "I am____" They hold on to your back. Eventually everyone gets added to the "train." It helped everyone learn names.

9. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2006

Mine goes over a few days. The first day we read "The Letters Are Lost" and then notice that one of the letters in the alphabet on our wall is missing. On the first day the "O" is missing. We have to search for it and find it in the office, where we then meet the principal and secretaries. The next day we read another alphabet book and then have to find our "L" (in the library). Over the course of a few days we find our "n" in the nurse's office, our "b" in our buddy classroom, and our "m" with our custodian (who's name starts with "m"). It's fun and the children get into the whole mystery aspect of it and they learn about the school building.

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 2, 2006

Cute! In kindergarten they do the gingerbread man. On the first day they read the book and make a gingerbread man the size of a cookie sheet. Later, they find a note left by the gingerbread man. It tells them to go to whatever special they have that day. When they get there, they find that they've just missed him. He did, however, leave them a note with a clue to where he will be next. Throughout the week they search for him at different areas. They think they'll find him in the cafeteria, but find another note. He ends up in the principal's office. The lady's in the cafeteria actually have fun cooking all of those gingerbread men (1 per class = 15).

11. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Sep 4, 2006

We did an activity on Friday that is really cute. The kids went to the library and she read to them The Gingerbread Man. (with permission from the principal) we had the kids make a giant gingerbread man. We took it to the lunchroom and asked the ladies to bake it for us. Well, they were "busy now" but will do it soon. So on Tuesday and all next week we will find notes from the gingerbread man telling us where to find him. So we will tour the school looking for him. On Friday we will find him and finally get to eat him!!

Plus all next week we will do craft with the gingerbread template!