Lets get real,there isn't a teacher shortage is there?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CDV3888, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CDV3888

CDV3888 Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

IT just amazes me how many teachers in the US dont have a teaching position,yet like Florida where I live,there are "Critical Need Areas" yet you all are scrambling and fighting for a job...this just doesn't make sense to me. Hillsborough (SP) County near me supposely is so short of teachers they started a program in high school for future educators,yet the same county that would hire 1500+ teachers each year is down to 800. How can there be a need for teachers when One position is getting 200 applicants in Pinellas County where I live. I still have until 2010 to graduate,and I am sitting here getting headaches as teachers are needed less and less. How will I be any different from somebody who is graduating when I do or before me? This is just very confusing to me.Especially in Florida...My dad says there will always be a need for teachers,but I really do think its come to an end...There are WAY TOO MANY TEACHERS THAT WANT WORK.......even though i DONT WANT TO CHANGE MY MAJOR,BECAUSE i HAVE NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE i WOULD RATHER DO,ITS come down to whether or not I can get a position and make a living....hmmm

3. CDV3888

CDV3888 Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

its also sad to hear from my manager that there are so many teachers and other professionals that are willing to work here making 7-8 dollars and hour.....

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2008

There is a great myth about the teaching shortage. Everyone tends to think it is EVERYWHERE when it is only in certain locations and in only certain areas (math/science/sped) and even those are getting saturated with teachers adding certifications. I think the reason is that everyone thought there would be a mass retirement of teachers and that hasn't happened because those teachers don't think they can make it on their retirement right now. That coupled with colleges cranking out teachers left and right have caused too many teachers for not enough teaching positions.

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2008

couldn't resist...

Yes, there is a teacher shortage...

Teachers have short tempers
    We are getting the short end of the stick
    We are not getting jobs, and are pockets are getting short.
    We have been short changed, because we spend all this time and money on our education, and we are unable to use it.
    There is a shortage of principals who understand how to interview
    There is no shortage of relatives who need jobs
    There is no short form for the teaching job application
    There are no shortcuts in finding a job
    There is no shortage of kids
    My patience is getting short

And that, my friends... is the long and short of it

6. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

This is my favorite part........so true in my area.

7. MrTeacher

MrTeacher Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

I think a lot of the time people talk about teacher shortage thinking only about more urban areas. In some of the big cities near where I live they are constantly looking for teachers because the turnover rate is ridiculous. But at the same time, when you look at the conditions how could anyone stay in that situation. Here's an example:
    My friend taught in one of these cities... she had a classroom that should fit about 20-25 students yet she had 40 students in her class and no aide. On top of that she had maybe 12 textbooks which were like 40 years old and had many pages missing.
    That's just some of the stuff. I think for me personally, no matter how much I love kids and working with them, I would never survive in a situation like that.

8. missk83

missk83 Companion

Aug 18, 2008

I was just reading my Glamour magazine and they listed the Top 10 Expanding, or growing, or in demand careers (I can't remember exactly!) and teacher was #5! I was tempted to write them and ask them where they got their information?!

9. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

It is considered a "Demand" occupation, and consistently ranks within the top five most demand occupations. It was because of this that I received the funding to return to school to get my teaching degree, through a Department of Labor workforce grant.

I see the demand in pockets. Some areas constantly have openings, and some never have them and are notoriously hard to "get in". It is true, at least in my area's case, that the more urban settings and lower performing districts are where the need seems to be, but they are also the tougher districts to teach in because of underfunding.

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2008

Add to it a charter school, where you work 8 hours! :eek:

It's all about money! They want less people to do more work.

I was once in a school and saw a book that I when I was a kid! I was in shock!

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 18, 2008

If you're a secondary math or science teacher willing to work in the inner city then you won't have an issue. I was hired on an emergency basis, before I even looked into an ACP...my P just needed somebody with a heartbeat in front of the classroom. The "teacher shortage" is in specific subjects and geographical locations, not the field as a whole.

12. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 18, 2008

Hard times have hit Florida! Schools are being extremely cautious in their hiring due to the budget. The ten day count is coming and that will hopefully open up some positions. Contrary to what the state wants kids are not leaving in droves. Friend called me to tell me that just about every class this year is over the limit at her school. They just have to wait till ten day count to see what happens but then again with 150-200 people applying for every position the competition is stiff.

13. CDV3888

CDV3888 Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

hmm

THATS WHAT SCARES ME! hOw will I ever stand out in front of 200 applicants! I still have 2 years to graduate! What can I do now do stand out. Do Ps really look at your experience? Lets face it I am not a teaching assistant,i work at tjmaxx,and have been for 4 years now. I am 20.

14. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 18, 2008

There are jobs available in the inner city schools where you are more of a prion warden.then a teacher. Certain areas,such as math,science ESL might have openings if you are certified.
    The problem began when school systems started cutting back on positions due to budget cuts,reorganizing schools due to poor academic test scores,offering special programs and insentives to people from other occupations to become teachers, and for non-education majors to train as teachers.At one time in NYC teachers were forced to take an exam and placement was based on the results. However,now all placements are made by the principals of the school and favoritism is upon us. The charter schools have also changed the job market for teachers and in some areas there have been shifts in student population.
    Of course,the colleges want their money so they misrepresent the job picture to their students and in some areas the schools are oversatuated with potential teachers. It has also become harder for teachers to retire due to the horrible economy at this point.
    However,many teachers are hired each year and if that is your goal I would stick with it,and look for a rich husband just in case.

15. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 18, 2008

Master Pre-K: You should write a book, you're so creative! "Sooooooo, you wanna be a teacher aye!?" Could be the title, or something.:D

Your "short" list makes a lot of great points as well. I especially relate to the being short changed. I have a friend who just graduated from the police academy. What'ya know, right when he graduated he was working the next week! Gee wouldn't that be great for the teaching profession!?:unsure: I could never be a cop though. Anyhow, that is what gets me down the most. I worked so dang hard to get this license, and it almost seems like a useless piece of paper now.:(

I read an interesting article in the Orange County register a few weeks back. The author was a former High School teacher with Los Angeles. The title was: "The myth of the teacher shortage". He emphatically told readers to stop telling everyone there's a shortage, because there most definitely is NOT. The pendulum has swung to the opposite side. There's a massive surplus and there's a JOB SHORTAGE now. Ugh. Ok, guess I'm preachin to the choir here.:sorry:

Anyhow, keep the funny anecdotes coming Pre-K. I'm at my wits_end....like so many.:(

16. tabasco4sale

tabasco4sale Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

Too bad I'm not a masochist. I'm just allergic to high school students in general.

I'm glad I read this thread. I've been seriously considering a full-time job as a teacher, but at this rate... I think I'm just going to stick with my current plan.

17. Bubbles37

Bubbles37 Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

Teacher Shortage

Here in Delaware there is supposed to be a teacher shortage in Special needs areas. However, thanks to our Governor, we had a state hiring freeze put in place. To top that, our state had to originally cut $80 million from the education budget which was later dropped to $30 million. Our state educators are past upset. Many I know were layed off, offered retirement packages, and just so fed up, that they left Delaware.:mad:

18. Bubbles37

Bubbles37 Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

Did you see this? Did you come up with it yourself? That was great! I laughed my a.. off, because it is so true.

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2008

but it's never
    never
    the same face twice...

You are different
    unique

go for it!

20. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

You know what irritates me? It is the fact that my friends and family act incredulous when I tell them there is no teaching shortage in California.
    These are intelligent and well read people, and they are cognizant of our state's horrific budget crisis, so why don't they get it? Even my husband acts as though I am doing something wrong because I can't find a job opening in my field.
    I also become irked when people still don't get that I am only qualified to teach English at a middle school or high school level.
    They'll say things like,"I hear they are hiring all over the place."
    Yes, but in the fields of mathematics and science, and even those positions are scarce.
    Okay, sorry for ranting, but I had get that off my chest.

21. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 23, 2008

BerniceBobs: Rant away.....I go through the EXACT same thing! :woot: It really is frustrating. I try to explain to my friends as well and they look at me sometimes with that deer caught in the headlights look!:crosseyed I even sometimes wonder if they think that it's just me, perhaps these many places I've applied to don't want ME. As if I need that added on to my plate, I'm quite good at carrying around my own insecurities!:rolleyes: I'm blue in the face from explaining that you have to get a teaching credential for each subject you wish to teach in, which takes TIME. Then I like to torture myself even more by talking about No Child Left Behind, and how in many ways that has made things tougher for teachers....which then turns into this whole political debate that I didn't intend. :huh: So, I'm learning to just shut up now.:whistle: A good friend/colleague of mine said to me basically that unless they have worked with kids, been in a classroom or taught themselves, they just dont' "get it". But as you say, they are intelligent folks that get our budget crisis, so I try....but to no avail. I think only my dad truly understands, because he's a retired teacher!:)

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2008

Unemployment 101

and... until they are out of work, and going thru what you go thru, they will never understand.

some people are lucky enough to find work when they turn 16, and they are set for life. others manage to get by, skim by, live off family and friends, and then get married..and get first job they can..and for some reason..manage to stay on that job until they retire.

they have no idea what it feels like to be unemployed. or worse...they have no idea what it feels like not to have somebody or something to fall back on. If you dig deeper, I am sure those people who talk the most!!

just tell them you are not cooking tonight, the bank account is now at zero, and their family called and said they are all going out of town!

Trust me, they will look so confused, scared and in shock, they won't know what to say.

If it were up to me, they would have classes in high school on how to deal with unemployment! Not only to learn how to use resources, improve job hunting skills, and find leads, but to learn how to cope with stress and the ignorant people around you who seem oblivious to it all! Too many people consider unemployment a major stigma, like an awful disease...that only certain people get.

makes me mad just thinking about it!

I say, everyone should get fired at least once in their life, just so they know what it feels like, and they have the determination to try again, and they will never pick on a friend, family member or spouse when they are out of work!

:2cents:

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2008

Makes me think of The Jetsons. Does anyone remember what George Jetson did for a living?? He was a rocket scientist? No, actually he got up, used his electric toothbrush, had Jane fix his microwave breakfast, did all that skyway flying, came to work, and then, pushed a button.

Then, he put his feet up for the rest of the day.

How's that for a positive incentive for our workforce?

Everyone had the idea that you only did one thing at work, and you could never be out of work...

Nobody really planned for people to be out of work.

Unemployment is considered a dysfunction.

And the benefits only lasts 13 weeks!

Who came up with that madness??

24. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2008

Who came up with the idea that the government is supposed to support you in the first place? Feel blessed for what you get. FWIW it is 26 weeks in California, and as of last month a Federal extension has kicked in because of the high unemployment rate here.

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 23, 2008

I teach inner city middle schoolers. While they're a rough bunch and there are days I feel like a warden, the vast majority of my days are spent in a very engaging and fulfilling teaching environment (well, after I've laid down the law, anyway). Don't knock them till you've at least met them. They're good kids from crummy backgrounds.

26. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 23, 2008

EXCELLENT!

27. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2008

:)

28. Electron

Electron Rookie

Aug 25, 2008

:D

29. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 25, 2008

LOL electron...but it's so true.

Math nerd and Proud of it!!!!

30. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Aug 25, 2008

I live in an area overlfowing with teachers and this is mostly b/c within 15 miles of where I live, there are LOADS of universities. And a lot of people, while they want the job, might not be willing to relocate. I work in an ubran district and it isn't easy. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. I've heard in the rumor mill some large cities are offering crazy pay to fresh out of college kids, but having them lock into x amount of years in their contract to keep them there. I commend people who are strong enough to put them in districts where there is a real threat of violence against them. You just have to know how to sell yourself and hope for the best!

31. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2008

:lol: Electron! I had to go back and read that twice! Too funny!

32. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 25, 2008

(hmmm, a physicist with a sense of humor...who'da thunk it? :D

33. mylonite

mylonite Rookie

Aug 25, 2008

First, LOL at electron!

Second... I hate to admit this, but I think that one of the reasons I'm holding off on the subject area tests (decided to take physics, math, and earth space science over a three day span, probably next week) is because I'm afraid that I *still* won't find a position. I mean, it's supposed to be so 'easy' to find secondary math or science instructors, so what does that say about me if I'm continually passed over? It hasn't even happened yet and I'm going a little bit crazy!

34. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 25, 2008

If you can teach math, you'll find a job in a reasonable amount of time. If you can teach math and physics, they'll be hunting you down before you ever graduate.

35. Electron

Electron Rookie

Aug 25, 2008

That is the truth! Mylonite, I think you're the guy who posted in the other thread about teaching physics if you weren't a physics major? One good way to help with that (that I totally forgot about until mmswm reminded me!) is to get a couple of similar certs in areas that are related, but that maybe aren't always so into hiring majors; math and earth-space science are probably the best two examples. Instead of being a 'science specialist', become a 'sciences generalist'.

Sure, you might not get hired for that magnet-school AP Physics gig (might be another story for AP earth science courses with your background though.. ;) ), but with a good spread of science certs and a science-related major under your belt, you'll definitely be able to find a decent job -- and quick enough to get that vague feeling of guilt that I do reading the posts on this forum sometimes... :eek:

If it's any encouragement, I took the FTCE Chemistry cold recently with only one day's warning and passed it first time. It was actually quite tricky -- but, just like you, I'm only recently out of school. Right now, while your science education is in your mind, is the best time to take all these tests. It'll never seem this easy to pass them again -- go for it!

36. tabasco4sale

tabasco4sale Rookie

Aug 25, 2008

So anyway, what kind of math are we talking here? I'm reasonably good at math, but calculus makes me cry. While we're at it, what's the job prospect for "soft" science nerds? I can handle biology and chemistry, but I'd rather hang myself than review my physics notes.

37. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 26, 2008

Middle school math is still in high demand...especially in urban schools.

38. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

What I would like to know is why oh why didn't one professor at my college mention that getting a job would be difficult?
    In fact, they said quite the opposite.
    I am too old to be this naive, and I really bought into the myth that there was a teacher shortage. My thinking was that I would get a credential, and that, when coupled with my MA degree would make my obtaining a position an absolute reality.
    On top of that, my resident teachers and classmates seemed to be getting hired right out of the credential program.
    I am sure I saw things as I wanted to, but the cold splash of reality has been quite a sobering jolt.
    It's quite depressing and takes a toll on my the ole self-esteem, doesn't it?

39. Electron

Electron Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

Be careful about chemistry - depending on what district or state, this can be some pretty involved stuff (unless you have a chem. background, in which case you might find it easier). I know a couple of places in which it's almost as hard as physics or advanced math. Bio is still in reasonable demand, though, due to students seeing it as the 'soft option' and all wanting to take it! Not good for them when they struggle with physics and chem. in college, but not bad for bio teachers ;) You probably aren't going to be a pauper if you can teach hgh school biology, put it that way. And middle school math is still a high-demand area, again dependent on district and state.

40. anouk

anouk Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

I agree that there is an oversatuation particularly in regards to primary education. If you are certified to teach secondary science or math, than most likely they will be beating down your door. I'm in Texas and am currently going for my certification in Special Ed. I hope there are teaching jobs avaliable for Special Ed when I graduate. I know that market is beginning to become satuarated as well. I'm willing to relocate to a different area of the state if a job is avaliable.

41. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Aug 27, 2008

My Husband graduates in December with that degree.. that's what we are hoping for..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.