Let's Be Honest Here

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsBee, Mar 1, 2009.

1. SuperBug!

SuperBug! Rookie

Mar 3, 2009

Absolutely, that is the one reason that I would ever say to someone "don't be a teacher". Some people see teaching as all roses, they don't realize that there are a lot of thorns hiding in those roses. My first 5 years of teaching were made absolutely miserable by administration in my district, and I'm still trying to work out of that attitude (I'm in a new district now).

I know that every job has it's bad parts, but teaching is an occupation that tends to be "romanticized" when it's really just another job. I love my students, I like most of the teachers I work with, I enjoy teaching, I just don't enjoy some of the other aspects. And I've come to understand that it's okay to not be the perfect teacher who loves her job 24/7, that I can have days where I absolutely hate it and still come back the next day and work through it. Such is life, right? ;)

2. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Mar 3, 2009

Exactly. Sometimes I am talking with people about my student teaching when I have a bad day and all they ever say is "see I told you not to be a teacher". So an accountant can have a bad day but no one would ever say you should have never majored in that.
    It's like the second you say something bad they automatically think you hate kids. ARG!;)

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2009

I don't think it is a reality. I didn't have much time in my own classroom (short term contract), but the stress was so high. I had many days of wondering if I had gone into the wrong profession. There were good days too, and those days gave me hope, but I would be prepared to have a tough first year, and maybe more. I had a pretty good administration, so that wasn't the issue. The issue that I had was with attitudes from my high schoolers. Many of them were in gangs and when they are in gangs, they don't need an education (or that's how they think). I am working on my master's and currently researching classroom climate, so hopefully I will learn some great techniques to deal with students like that in the future.

4. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

My message is certainly tailored to my audience when it comes to recommending/not recommending teaching as a field. I love teaching, but I will echo what others have said about it being awful when the leadership is poor. I am in that situation right now, and the climate is terrible at our school. Day to day things are not being taken care of by the principal, taking our attention away from developing as teachers and focusing on damage control and crisis management.

When I can focus on students and learning, I love it. When it is about adult egos and shortcomings, no thanks.

L.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2009

I love my job and I've wanted to teach since I was 4 years old. Is it everything I expected? Yes and then some. Do I think people should know about the job market and stuff? Yes, definitely. Do I see myself retiring as a teacher? No, I actually hope to go into administration someday. But I wouldn't do anything else as a career.

And it bugs me too...people still say that to me, and I'm in my 6th year of teaching!

6. agrace2

agrace2 New Member

Mar 13, 2009

I am in my junior year to become a mid-level math teacher. I have been a substitute teacher for the past two years, and I have done several observations in the classroom. I have not been told by many teachers to not go into the teaching profession, rather they have expressed the joy of being a special part of their students' lives. I have heard that there are many challenges in teaching, but the rewards are far greater. I realize that teaching will definitely have some difficult challenges, but I look forward to enriching children's lives with a positive influence about life and learning.

7. Long Island NY

Long Island NY Rookie

Mar 13, 2009

I was provisionally licensed to teach grades 7-12 back in the mid '90's. I left it because I did not feel the same satisfaction as the other teachers when I subbed in their school. I also taught 6th grade in a private school and did not like it. Supposedly it was a school where you had some kids who were thrown out of other schools go to. I felt at times I could not control the class.

I went into human resources, paid and got a M.S. in that field and thinking of going back to teaching Elementary either reading or Special Ed. Special Ed seems in demand but I am not sure I have the patience. I will volunteer over the next month or two in those areas. What's frightening is the job market, paying for another M.S. and that now my husband and I are trying to start a family. Any thoughts?

8. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Mar 13, 2009

In another forum I lurk in I straight out told someone not to go into teaching. She was considering law school and a teaching credential to be a social studies teacher. This will be my 4th summer trying to find a social studies position. It's hard.

However, if someone has the passion to teach and is strong enough to deal with the rejection, disappointment, crazy parents, uncaring administration and disrespectful students, then I won't stop someone. Every school day there is something to love about teaching and something to hate about teaching. For me, the good things outweigh the bad. I have some super awesome students that totally make it worthwhile to come to school. I would never deny that to someone. Just please consider some other area besides social studies. No one, no where needs social studies teachers. *sigh*

9. Cranmans

Cranmans Rookie

Mar 13, 2009

I am finishing up my junior year of college with math and science certification. My parents and family want me to go into the medical profession...well, I have exceeded their expectations and I am going into education. This is a field that I am truly passionate about, love it, and I could not/will not do anything else. Once I became a sub, the beginning of my junior year...that was my calling.

I have been extremely luck with AMAZING grade school teachers and I feel I need to give back...what I have truly learned--in hope to enrich their lives of the wonders of MATH and SCIENCE.

MC
    A future PROUD educator!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2009

For what it's worth, I didn't have a particularly difficult first year.

Was there a steep learning curve? Of course. But I didn't lose any sleep over my job, I didn't have any huge discipline struggles, I made friends, I found an informal mentor, and I made a place for myself in that school.

Some of it was luck of the draw-- I had good kids and I was in a good school. I had a great department chair who knew to the page what each member of her department was teaching, and she and I shared 2 of my 3 preps that year. One of the members of my department took me under her wing and showed me a lot of the tricks of the trade, and I was smart enough to realize I didn't already know it all, so I listened and learned.

But not every new teacher is destined to spend that first year crying herself to sleep, desperately trying to maintain control.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 13, 2009

I had a few teary moments, and the first year was rough, but I liken it more to the first few months of motherhood. There's a LOT of stuff to do, organize, manage, learn how to do, figure out how to do better, ect. I was exausted trying to manage it all, and sometimes overwhelmed, but I don't think I ever lost control.