Let's all take a deep breath...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissMaurie, Jul 26, 2010.

1. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Jul 26, 2010

I haven't been on here much in the past few months and have been doing a lot of reading in the last few days and I have noticed something that concerns me.

I do not ever remember a time when I felt that people were overly sensitive in their posts. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they think you are a bad teacher. We all come from different environments and experiences and need to remember what works for one doesn't work for all.

We are all here to get and share ideas. We are also professional educators who know the appropriate way to speak to one another and accept criticism. Let's start holding ourselves to that standard.

:soapbox:

3. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 26, 2010

I agree. Sometimes I hold what I really want to say because I am afraid how others will react.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 26, 2010

I must have missed out on some "good" posts! ;)

Taking criticism is a science-my feeling is people post questions because they want some direction-if everyone just agrees with you how do you grow? That said-typing doesn't lend itself to the nuances of body language you get when speaking to someone-even with the smilies :p sometimes things sound more critical than I know they are meant to.

5. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

:yeahthat:

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 26, 2010

I was thinking this has been one of our calmer days :lol:

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2010

Well I haven't stoked the coals in a while...Figured I would try and play nice for a while.

8. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 26, 2010

I probably owe Bob an apology. I usually try to not to be so confrontational, and I'm not sure why I was so bothered by the fact that you don't like teaching as much as I do. I should have dropped it before I said some of the stuff I said.

Thanks MissMaurie, I like AtoZ because it usually isn't like that.

9. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2010

I will accept that apology. Teachers are extremely passionate about the profession, we just all express it in different ways. And at the same time, some of us do it for different reasons.
    If we didn't get emotional for some purpose in the profession, that is when we have to rethink our place.

10. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 26, 2010

:)

11. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Jul 26, 2010

Awwww...that makes me happy! :thumb:

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2010

MissMaurie, well said. I completely agree!

13. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jul 27, 2010

When I sit at my computer on AtoZ, I think of gathering around the table with friends. We laugh, cry, support one another, and give suggestions. Kind of like the gals on Wisteria Lane. Just like family we get upset with each other, disagree, and then move on.

14. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

It's really difficult to interpret text.

I have read WAY too much into emails from possible Principals, loved ones, etc.

"Why didn't they sign their name at the bottom of the email!?"

"WHERE is the smiley!?!?"

"She usually types in BLUE font, why not this time?!?!"

:lol:

I also used to be an avid online gamer (dork alert) and would often misinterpret in-game chat and message board "banter." :rolleyes:

Speaking on the subject... a woman with whom I attended middle school added me as a Facebook pal several months ago. I figured, sure, why not -- She and her husband CONSTANTLY argue back and forth on Facebook. There's no misinterpreting their text based messages at all!! :)

Computer age is funny... When I send my hubby a quick text at work I always make sure to type "I love you" instead of "i luv u." For some reason, I like the full on words. Maybe I'm getting OLD! :)