LETRS training?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Zelda~*, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 25, 2018

My workplace got a grant and we're required to do this training both online and in person. So far it's the driest stuff I've ever encountered outside of a college classroom. Has anyone else had to go through this training? Does it get better? I can't find anything online review wise, which doesn't bode well.

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 25, 2018

My previous P would get really gung-ho about something at the beginning of the year, and then it would gradually fall by the wayside as the year went on. Seriously, we'd hear constantly about some "new thing," be given a book to do a book study with, read 2-3 chapters, and then abandon it. Every single year!

One year the new thing was LETRS. Completely boring and not new information for me. Thankfully, we only did modules 1-3 before this too fell by the wayside. The district had even sent some of our EL and title 1 teachers to a "train the trainers" for LETRS so they could continue the PD in future years. I'm sure that had to be a big amount of money wasted!

Zelda~* likes this.
  4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Aug 25, 2018

Wouldn’t it make more sense for a district to stick with a program that works instead of always looking for the next best thing? This seems like it would make it difficult for the teachers to adjust to constantly changing pedagogy.

otterpop and Zelda~* like this.
  5. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 25, 2018

I agree with you. And with special needs preschool, so much of what we do is hands on, "play" based, and built very naturally into our day as it is. I for one like many of the approaches in "Words Their Way".

The strange thing about these modules is that it is mostly the history of Early Childhood Education, statistics on how many children go to preschool, and the physical formation of letter sounds in the mouth, and how the difference between /w/ and /wh/ is dying in the American dialect. Some of it is "kind of" interesting? But, in no way really....applicable to the classroom setting. I want what I'm doing to be useful, applicable to my job, and above all else, beneficial for my students.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 25, 2018

It's extremely expensive from what I've been told. And I'm just so disappointed it's so dull and not useful. I'm getting the impression it's anti-DAP too, the further I get into it.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 26, 2018

I must have trained on a different LTRS. Our whole district has to be trained in it because it's approved for students with dyslexia. So we go to a two-day workshop where they teach you the concepts, then teach you how to use it for different grade levels, K-12. It was one of the most useful and practical workshops I've been to.

Zelda~* likes this.
  8. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 26, 2018

I'll hold out a little hope that it gets better, in that case. :) I loved my Wilson intro training I had a few years ago. I found it extremely useful.