Letrs training

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nstructor, Apr 9, 2016.

1. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Apr 9, 2016

Have any of you taken this training? Is it worth it, especially for a middle school teacher?

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2016

Our staff did this training last year. I think it depends on what your background is and how much training you have in reading to begin with. Honestly, for me it was nothing I hadn't already heard (multiple times) before. If you have no background in phonics or how kids learn to read you may find it helpful. I don't see it being that applicable to middle school teachers unless you're teaching students that are significantly below grade level and still learning to read.

nstructor likes this.
  4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 10, 2016

I went theough LETRS training back in 2006 when I first started literacy coaching. It was by far one of the best trainings I've been through, but I had a national literacy expert as a trainer and I'm sure you probably won't be going through the whole training. There are 12 modules, and each module is a full day. The full training took about a year. Modules 1-9 are for primary, and modules 10-12 are for upper elementary (at least that's what I remember). There's also LETRS Foundations, and LETRS Para training. Most teachers I've talked through now who go through the training go through a modified version of the full training. Do you know have any information about which one you are going to? Like Waterfall said, it probably wouldn't benefit you too much as a middle school teacher, unless you had very low students or were taking the later modules. Most of LETRS teaches very basic foundational reading skills.

nstructor likes this.