Let the kids grade?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by ayotte04, Jul 16, 2007.

1. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I don't know that I'll change my mind, but I'd love to hear opinions. It's clear that we could all save some prep time if we had kids grade each other's papers. I'm not talking about short answers or essay responses, but stuff like spelling tests, fill-in-the-blank, quick math problems, multiple choice, etc.

Even though I haven't been teaching long, I find that every time I do this...(Even if I provide the red pens and redistribute the papers so no one has their own) it's never foolproof. And I ALWAYS end up regrading the papers and catching so many mistakes....

Is it really worth it for me to spending time in class grading with my kids or should I just do it on my own?

3. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I remember grading each others papers in HS and in college... it is SO easy to cheat.. so, so easy. If you say you end up regrading them anyways, you might as well think of something else that might save you some time. Those are my two cents =o)

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I mix it up a little bit. Sometimes I'll grade it myself, and sometimes I'll let them to it. If I do let them do it, I spot check a few papers to make sure everything was graded the way it should have been.

One thing I always do is make sure that kids have a different colored writing utensil for grading and that their desks are cleared off. It's too easy for them to change the answers on the paper they're grading if I don't set down these ground rules.

I also like to make sure that the answers are posted on the board. Some kids have a hard time just hearing the answers--either because they aren't paying attention or because they do better with visual cues.

I only do in-class peer grading on short things like 5-question vocab quizzes.

I always let the kids grade their own work when we check packets and translations. (Then again, I only take 'attempted' or 'not attempted' scores on homework, so I can get away with this. If you're actually scoring homework based on content, you probably can't trust all your students to be truthful about their own work.)

5. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Ok good. This makes me feel better about what I'm doing. I'd rather save myself the trouble from doing stuff twice and just grade it myself

6. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jul 16, 2007

Why not make the person grading the paper sign their name next to the grade. Then if/when you re-check the papers, the grader pays a price for their deception/inattention. The points that they miss will be deducted from their own score. I think that if you make this clear, they will try a little harder to do the right thing.

7. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

oh...that is a good idea....something else to consider. interesting

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

I have heard that having student peer edit their writing pieces actually helps students write better. I know when I did it while student teaching the kids took it every seriously and worked hard doing it right and taking suggestions at heart. I don't teach english, but I think it serves a purpose even in a Social Studies class, I plan on trying it. Have you considered peer editing?

9. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I check papers with my classes. I always post the answers on the overhead while I am doing it. They always sign their names as graders at the bottom. I designate with whom their paper is traded, and I always change that up so it won't their best friends every time. I say the grader will lose points if it is not done correctly and sometimes I have a second person double-check if if won't take too long. These are for objective answers, of course. There are always assignments that don't fit into this category and those take me quite a bit of time to grade, as it is, so I must rely on classes helping grade papers. Also, it is quicker feedback for them and a reteaching tool too. I would also recommend keeping in mind any students who have issues that could embarrass them and make sure the teacher grade theirs.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2007

We grade several things in class. I, too, have the kids clean off their desks completely, I make them check with a crayon, sign their name at the bottom, put the answers on the overhead, and put the grade chart on the overhead. On that specific note, so many students can't figure the grade and they are too embarrased to ask so they'll just let things slide. If there are ten questions worth ten points each, you would think sixth graders could do the math, but...

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I don't do it, ever.

If my name is on the report card, it's my grading that's reflected.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 16, 2007

For math and social studies last year. I would let them grade their own papers. I didn't think it was any of the other students business what someone else got on their paper. My kids were very honest. They would tell me if they failed, or received a C. They knew they could bring the grade up by staying in for recess and working with me to learn the materials.
    Actually just remembered something my 5th grader did cheat on her math paper, and she was not allowed to correct it any more for two months. She never cheated again.

13. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Jul 16, 2007

I only do it for right/wrong answers. I have them trade papers, but THEIR pens/pencils on the floor, put "graded by" on the paper and give them red pencils to grade w/. I didn't have ONE problem w/ that last year!

14. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

I NEVER have them grade each others papers nor do I have them report their grade in class. Its embarrassing for some students - even those who consistently get top grades. Also, there are times they cannot read what the other person marked. And finally, it is no one elses business.

They clear off their desks except a colored pen and their paper. So chances of cheating are slim (not saying it NEVER happens). I add a couple of points if they write in the correct answer with their colored pen. I also do it only for purely objective answers. It takes to long to answer the "what if" questions.

15. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

I allow them to correct their own papers sometimes. They have red pens in their baskets. They know to put pencils away. If I see pencils out I take half off. They watch each other to make sure. I didn't have a problem with cheating.

16. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

I find that with my eighth grade students they tend to cheat with one another. I have over 155 students and it is just easier for me to grade everything. I have my planning time at the end of the day so I do not mind. I even get it done so I do not end up taking it home with me.

17. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 16, 2007

I feel the same way. I look at almost everything my kids do even if it is homework I still spot check it at their desks for completion. Anything I spot check, they are free to correct on their own or just change their answers. They just better have the correct answers when I grade binders or do a corrections check for a grade for that paper.

For tests, quizzes, graded hw/cw, projects, and essays. I do all the grading and correcting. It is my job as the teacher. I also look over thier rough drafts of thier essays, if the students so wish.

18. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I still look over every paper to see WHERE mistakes were made and I put the grade on it. I self grade every test and quiz.

19. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 16, 2007

Ditto. I like to review the answers with the kiddoes for homework, and will either do what Brendan does and check for completion first or I will do what Wig does and have them clear their desks and use a colored pencil. I review every assignment though - if I don't then it wasn't useful assessment for me and then I shouldn't have assigned it :)

Everything else I grade. Hate it :) but I do it.

20. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 16, 2007

I am a big believer in having the kids grade homework, class assignments and quizzes (which count the same as class assignments). The kids get immediate feedback and I can spend time on creating better lessons and other aspects of teaching. The students sign their name and are accountable for the grades they give. I write answers on the board and make sure they have access to an EZ grader if they need it.

I grade tests, of course, and spot check all papers so I can check for grading accuracy and to get feedback on what they need help with.

I used to grade everything myself but started to grade papers with the kids based on student request. They wanted to know grades faster than I could hand them out.

Besides time, it saves me from having an overload of papers on my desk since I can quickly enter grades and handback, often the same day at the very end of class when they are either eating breakfast (which they eat after block 1), out to lunch or cleaning up after an activity.

21. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Jul 16, 2007

I only use two times a year. At the beginning portion of the year I give two constructed response questions activities. They are graded, but they count as a classwork grade. The reason why I have them grade them is because I want them to see other ways to answer crq's and for them to see what answers are acceptable and what aren't. The majority of New York students lose points on the CRQ (Dbq) section of the eighth grade state test.

22. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I agree with you 100%. When I return papers I tell the kids that their grades are nobody else's business, so do not ask somebody what grade they earned, and do not tell what grade you earned. I can't violate their trust by letting them grade each other's papers. However, peer editing is not the same as grading. Once they leave my classroom I can't stop them from sharing, but by then most have forgotten the grade.

23. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 16, 2007

I'm not sure about other states, but here it is illegal to let students see other students grades. That means you can not post grades, or have students grade each others work.

24. weno88

weno88 Companion

Jul 16, 2007

That's exactly what I was thinking. I've always been told it is illegal in Texas, but I've seen many teachers do it anyway.

25. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I have mixed feelings on this subject

When I was in 2nd grade teacher who used to let me grade papers for her during our gym time. I have a disability that prevented me from taking gym class. Anyway back then I did not see a problem with it and none of the other kids knew about it because I was the teacher's pet and would never have told the kids I graded their papers. Now fast forward to my two current positions. I am still working as a substitute and at a local tutoring service. As a substitute teacher depending on what the assignment is the teacher will leave instructions for me to have kids switch papers and grade with a pen only. Pencils have to be put away before I start going over answers. So things like a test have to be graded by me only. I also work during the summer and after school at a tutoring center. Some of our teaching materials have answers in the back so if I am busy working with another student I will usually let students grade their own papers with a pen. It also depends on how well I know the students and if I trust them to grade papers.

Mldouglas

26. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Peer editing? Oh yes I'm all about that. I think it's great and I want my kids to get in the habit of it. But I'm referring more to "graded" assignments like multiple choice or spelling....the actual "writing" pieces my kids submit (the final drafts at least) will only be graded by me, But yes rough drafts are fair game for peers to review.

27. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Ah yes... the "what if" questions. How could I have so easily forgotten? Remembering those moments makes me want to grade every paper by myself all over again. Hahaha....Ms. Ayotte...what if...?

28. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I agree that any and every assignment given should have a purpose. But doesn't it take forever to go over all homework every day in class? Sometimes I just want to skim over them or take questions...but I feel like if I did that everyday I'd lose half my instruction time....am I off base here?

29. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

holy cow! I had no idea there was a law like that. That's fascinating.....very very interesting.

30. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

Here we all exchange and grade. No big deal. And...student work must be displayed at all times to reflect what is going on in the room....and....all displayed student work MUST be graded with teacher comments for improvements. Rubrics must also be attached. There is NO privacy here.
    Also, we have to hang up good grades. They say it motivates the others...I don't know.

31. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 17, 2007

I forgot to add that I also review all assignments even if I collect and grade them. Including tests, quizzes, projects, and essays. On projects and essays I usually review them by talking about common strengths and weaknesses.

32. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 17, 2007

That's why I said I wasn't sure about other states. It would be interesting to find out which states have this law. I know ours went into effect around 2001.

33. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 17, 2007

The overhead is a beautiful thing :)

I put my answer keys on transparencies and slap them up after the warm up. If I corrected the assignment first, they "check behind me", and then I take questions.

If I checked to see if they had it while they were doing their warm up, they clear their desks, grab a colored pencil, and correct from the overhead. And then I take questions.

Really only about 5 minutes or so, depending on the homework assignment, and whether they really had trouble with it.

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

The answers to the odd numbered questions are in the back of math textbooks. Depending on the topic, sometimes I'll assign the odds. (Verbal problems, for example, where just showing me the answer does NOT count as "doing the homework") Or I'll assign the multiples of 3-- enough of them are odd that the kids know whether or not they're getting the problems right.

Or I'll choose what I think is the most difficult problem and go over that one.

35. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Jul 17, 2007

Aliceacc, by any chance is that textbook Algebra 1 by McDougal Littel?

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

It's just about all math textbooks once you hit grade 7 or so.

We use the Amsco series written by Dressler &/or Keenan. (Keenan passed away during some of the revisions; his name is on some of the books, not all)

37. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 18, 2007

I will allow students to grade their own spelling pretests, and some math quizzes. If it is a class assignment that is multiple choice or fill -in-the-blank, I will sometimes have students put their "number" on the paper instead of their names. This way, only I know whose paper it is, and the students grades remain confidential to the other students. I grade ALL tests, essays, reports, and projects. I NEVER tell students their grades aloud in class. I try desperately to ensure students privacy, because you never know when you will get an offended student, which leads to the parent, which inturn leads to chaos....and I have learned that lesson the hard way, in my first year! Things will be sooooooo different this year.! ~SK

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2007

39. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 18, 2007

It's illegal in Indiana, too. Aides and parent helpers aren't allowed to grade anything, either. They aren't allowed to see the gradebook, or do anything but tutor and xerox, pretty much.

40. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2007

Parent helpers - they probably shouldn't be allowed to grade, but I find it insulting that instructional assistants cannot grade class work.