Lessons during circle time

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by wait'n2teach, Oct 10, 2013.

1. wait'n2teach

wait'n2teach Rookie

Oct 10, 2013

I need some ideas for a whole group lesson during circle time. This would be like my whole group/direct instruction time. I need some activities to get the kids involved after we do calendar. I would like to do activities with shapes, colors, numbers or any other type of activity. Any ideas would be appreciated.

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 10, 2013

My kids have a lot of energy. I like to do some type of movement activity. We do "count to 5" exercises - choose an exercise for the group to do while we count to five, then choose another one. There are also some good kids yoga poses that I want to try. I am also trying to start teaching them a seasonal weekly poem or finger play. This week was the first week and they loved it. Ideally, the poem would be printed large paper or on posterboard with some pictures so they could practice "reading" it in their free time.

4. wait'n2teach

wait'n2teach Rookie

Oct 10, 2013

Good idea

Thank you! The poem with pictures sounds like a great idea!

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 10, 2013

To get enough ideas to keep you going, I suggest you get a few ECE books that talk about activities.

6. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Oct 24, 2013

How about Letter Monster? (or shape or number monster) Have your shapes,letters or numbers ready. I use felt, cards, can lids, whatever. Cover an old macaroni box with paper and add funny eyes and cut out a mouth. Chant:" Shape monster, shape monster, Munch, Munch, Munch, Suzie, find me a pink circle for my lunch" The child named finds the shape and feeds it into the hole. For a treat, one child can be the monster "holder".

7. wait'n2teach

wait'n2teach Rookie

Nov 1, 2013

Thank you

Thanks ladies!! I appreciate your ideas :)

8. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Nov 15, 2013

I've been doing this for two decades and I never feel like I have enough ideas for things to do in circle. To this day I go blank sometimes.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 16, 2013

I have taught PS for over 30 years. Let me share my secrets--aka techniques.

1. Re-do the same activities with different materials. The first few weeks of PS, I teach them how to use pencils, pens, crayons, markers, brushes, and other media. For example, day 1: pencil and paper; 2: markers and construction paper; 3: newspaper and black paint. As an alternative, vary the papers.

2. Base your activities on concepts.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 16, 2013

sorry, my computer is acting up.

2. Base your activities on concepts. If you are teaching eye hand coordination--put out puzzles, playdough, wiggly lines to trace.

3. If you are teaching based upon themes, remember that not all activities must relate to the theme. Even if I base my year upon themes, I plan a scope and sequence of learning objectives. If you don't have learning objectives, take a look at Head Start Outcomes.