Lesson Substitution Ideas Needed....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by soleil00, Sep 9, 2011.

1. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 9, 2011

My colleagues of are no help (or don't seem to want to help) me substitute for this lesson plan.

On Thursday, we have plans to make a bird feeder out of a pine-cone, peanut butter, and bird seed so we can hang them on our "class tree".

I have a kid that has a nut allergy, to all kinds of nuts. Now yes he can be around it but I'd rather not risk him accidentally touching it.

So what I need help with is what in the world can I substitute for the "sticky stuff" that won't kill a bird!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2011

Is he allergic to other nuts? Could you use almond butter or pecan butter or something like that?

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 9, 2011

Sunbutter or shortening (Crisco).

5. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 9, 2011

I should go edit this in, but yes he is allergic to ALL nuts. Plus I couldn't find that here anyway... all I have in this town is a local grocery store and they don't carry "abnormal" items which those fall under that category here.

Beth:
    Haven't the slightest what sunbutter is... o_o but would Crisco stick to both the pine cone AND the bird seed?

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 9, 2011

Sunbutter is like peanut butter made from sunflower seeds.

I've never used the Crisco myself, but I've heard of teachers doing that with kids who have nut allergies, so I'm guessing it works.

7. MsGidget

MsGidget Rookie

Sep 9, 2011

My class has done it with Crisco in past years and it has worked great.

8. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 9, 2011

I googled a bit, because I'd be leery of using Crisco with animals (though will if I can't get anything else) and when I was googling I found a site that says using Suet (animal fat) from a butcher or from the bird seed aisle, melt it and slather it on, then you can roll the seed on!

I may try that if I can find some that isn't uber expensive...

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2011

How about honey?

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2011

I was also thinking honey

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 10, 2011

As a Mom of a child of a peanut allergy, I hate those kinds of activities! It only happened 1 time & that was when they were at the zoo making toys for the lions. They were able to give him a different job.

Schools should be NUT free, including activities in the classroom.

12. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Sep 10, 2011

What about apple butter? It isnt the most normal product, but your local grocer may still carry it.

13. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Sep 10, 2011

I think Crisco would work great, plus birdies love suet so it would be extra yummy for them,lol. Crisco may be a little hard to wash off of hands but it should work well otherwise, good luck :)

14. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Sep 10, 2011

sunbutter is not processed on equipment that manufactures peanuts. It's nut free, so unless the student has an allergy to sunflower seeds, it would work.
    http://www.sunbutter.com/

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 10, 2011

I just made birdseed cakes using leftover bacon grease from frying bacon yesterday. I mixed in some Crisco, added birdseed, and put it into a muffin tin. They're in the fridge to firm up, and they pop out easily. Birds love them. I don't see why it wouldn't work on a pine cone.

16. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 10, 2011

Thank yall for "reassuring" me that Crisco is totally safe for birds since, obviously, quite a few of you have used it before!

One concern/question regarding... well all of this!

Here... it's still getting in the high 90s during the day. What are the odds of this stuff surviving more than a day without dripping onto the ground?

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 10, 2011

Unless it's in direct sunlight it should be fine. I never have any issue with drips.

18. queenie

queenie Groupie

Sep 11, 2011

Yeah, right. Then WHO would teach the kids?? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:p

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 11, 2011

We could let the politicians teach. See what they can do. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: To make it even better they need to be in a kindergarten class on the 1st day of school.

Oh wait a minute, they are the ones that are NUTS. Not us!

20. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 11, 2011

Alrighty then... I just need to go out and buy the supplies. I really want the kids to make them but I bought a few pre-made hangers at PetSmart just in case I couldn't find a good substitute.

I agree with no nuts in schools. I don't understand it. They are not a necessity! I think nut allergies are the most prominent allergies in schools these days... =/ It would definitely save me a TON of hassle and worry trying to make sure my kid doesn't accidentally eat/touch any kind of nut.

21. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Sep 11, 2011

Another spin on this that I have done (was left in plans) was to use stale bagels. You tie the string through the center of the bagel so it hangs nice, then you spread crisco on the flat side of the bagel and you smush bird seed on it.

22. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Sep 17, 2011

The teacher is trying to protect the child. Our world is not nut free (in either sense of the word). You and your child will be the ones to keep your child safe. You can make the teacher aware and the teacher will do everything possible to keep nuts away from your child. There will always be nuts (both kinds! haha!) around. It is your responsibility to make those around your child aware. Not everyone should have to do without nuts because someone else can't have them. When I have a student with a nut allergy in my classroom I don't allow nuts, but I won't stop it when no one in my room has the allergy.

23. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2011

I agree with this.

Nuts are a healthy and natural food. I honestly wish that we did a little more to promote nuts (the edible kind, haha) as a part of healthy eating habits in general.

24. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 17, 2011

I agree, our world is not nut free. I've had to deal with this for 15 years. I am thankful for his teachers that have been supportive and not done projects that would cause issues.

I've also had to do a lot of education. Probably more when he was in Kindergarten & 1st grade. (What do you mean he can't have plain M & M's?). He's been good about it, there's just been a couple of times that friends have forgotten & we've been at a birthday party & he couldn't have the cake or the ice cream.

I just feel that, in school, I shouldn't have to worry about a project being done with products that contain peanuts.

When it comes to eating, that's his job (he's old enough to be responsible). Although, he about ate a cookie today before he read the label. I can never remember if it's Nabisco or Keebler that has the allergy warning for peanuts! I don't buy that kind of food very often, so I read lables. Most of my cooking is from scratch.

BTW: I can count on1 hand how many times he's bought a school lunch.

25. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Sep 17, 2011

My daughter has a nut allergy and everyone confuses the two (she is not allergic to peanuts; those are legumes). Her fear of being stabbed with an Epi pen is sufficient enough to make HER responsible enough to watch for the nuts.

She is so allergic that she once passed by a trash can in which there was a finished can of cashews and had the start of a reaction! Her face and neck started getting red, rashy, and bloated. Her classmates noticed it quickly enough that this incident wasn't a larger problem.

She has also been taught to be diligent about wiping down keyboards where there might be nut dust from previous users, etc..

26. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Sep 17, 2011

You and kpa1b2 seem to be doing a great job with your children and their allergies and I commend you. I know it must be hard. I also know that our lunch lady would not be able to check every label for the food she cooks for our school and remember every allergy. That is why it is so important for you and your children to be so aware and careful. I think you are being very smart to have students and teachers alike aware of the symptoms of the allergic reaction. When children are that sensitive I know it is a worry. I really feel your pain, but schools just cannot be nut free (of either kind! haha!). I pray that God will protect your children and others who have these allergies.

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2011

In my school board, all elementary schools are nut and peanut-free; I think it is common practice throughout the province. My daughter's high school has requested that students do not bring nut or peanut products to school and all food served is nut/peanut free.

28. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 17, 2011

In my area I know that many schools are going nut or at least peanut free. Parents are asked to not bring in foods that contain peanuts.

Last year I had a child in my class with peanut allergies. I did some investigating: the menu was peanut free, the kitchen were food was made was not. :eek: I couldn't get across to the person who was in charge the difference.

Many families who have a child with a peanut allergy do not allow their children to eat anything with nuts. It avoids confusion when the child sees a nut, they don't have to worry about which kind of nut it is It's just a forbidden food. Of course, I'm talking about families with young children.

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2011

My daughter has a good friend who has a life-threatening peanut allergy; she was rushed to the hospital, from school, three times last year after having an anaphylactic reaction and having an epi-pen administered. Lauren would gladly never eat a nut product again if it meant that she wouldn't put a friend's life in danger.