Lesson Plans

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by lsho, Sep 19, 2009.

1. lsho

lsho Rookie

Sep 19, 2009

Hi! Ok, my school doesn't require me to write lesson plans. They expect it but we never really have to show anyone. I still write them (and am backdating a few now) because it just helps me plan my time better. But I've run across a question and don't want to ask my principal or a fellow teacher and be labeled the dumb new teacher.

Do you write a lesson plan for test days? If so, what is the best way to do so?

Test days are so straight foward. I prep them the first 5 minutes, clear up any points I feel need to be made, tell them what I expect, then the test is handed out. I don't know how to write a lesson plan that says "45 minutes: test handed out, I walk around and make sure they aren't cheating".

Any ideas/suggestions? Thank you all so much! I can't tell you how much this forum has helped me so far. You all ROCK! :thumb:

3. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Sep 19, 2009

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "Lesson Plans". Are you writing out detailed descriptions of what you're doing, along with objectives, materials, etc..(a formal lesson plan basically)?

Because I write lesson plans, but they're very brief. They just include my topic for the day, any class activities, and any due dates. So my lesson for a test would look like:

Topic: Unit 2 Test
    Activities, Review, Unit 2 Test
    Classwork: Unit 2 Test
    Due Next: None

And that would be all.....

4. Padfoot103

Padfoot103 Rookie

Sep 21, 2009

I usually write in the lesson plan book simply the Aim and Evaluation of the lesson. For tests, I usually just put "Math Test Topic 1" in the box and that's it. Like you said, there's really no planning in giving out an exam, but I include it in the plan book so that I know when the test was given.

5. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Sep 21, 2009

:yeahthat:

I'm not an experienced teacher and did not do lesson plans last year (meaning formal written ones, I did keep a detailed plan book which was checked weekly). But honestly, I don't think it's necessary to write out a lesson plan for a test administration, because you're not actually teaching. I think it's appropriate to note it in your plan book for the alloted time, leaving time for breaks, but I don't think a formal lesson plan is needed. :2cents:

6. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Oct 9, 2009

How can anyone be prepared for the day if you do not write lesson plans? Even if I am giving a test I will still write it down in my planning. My planning includes everything, times for everything even restroom breaks for my kiddos.

7. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Oct 10, 2009

I can't speak for everyone, but I do all of my planning in my plan book. I don't type out formal lesson plans with objective, state standards, motivation, etc for every lesson that I teach. I have my plan book with detailed information for everything, including bathroom breaks. But I don't think it's necessary to write out formal lesson plans for everything you teach. I was even told in undergraduate studies that you won't write out those lesson plans again unless you are being observed. :2cents:

8. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Oct 12, 2009

I write the objective of the assessment and thats it...

It is usually a copy of the weeks objectives or something close.