Lesson Plans

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cutelilram, Jul 27, 2014.

1. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Jul 27, 2014

Do you prefer to hand write your lessons or type them? I have done both but I feel that I remember my lessons better when I hand write them.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 27, 2014

There is absolutely nothing on earth that I prefer to handwrite than to type. The biggest advantage for me to typing them is that I can move things around if I need to.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 27, 2014

I perfer to type but often handwrite them beforehand. Typically while in a meeting or while doing something else.

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2014

Type. I can save, copy and paste for future LPs.

6. jde3399

jde3399 Rookie

Jul 27, 2014

When I first started everyone had to hand write the lesson plans and make a copy and put in the principal's mailbox. After a few years, he wanted them typed (which I had started doing a few years back) and emailed to him by Friday at the latest for the following week. I prefer to type because it is easier for me to move around things and change things faster.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 27, 2014

Friday at the latest for the following week? Eww.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2014

I do both. I make lists and notes on any paper I can grab. When it comes down to finalizing, I prefer to type.

9. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 27, 2014

I'm old fashioned (I'm 27). I have to write my lessons out. I write them my way with the information I need like the document title that needs to be projected on the board. Last year I found a post on Pinterest that has saved me from having to erase lessons when I want to move things around. I now write my lessons on post-it notes. Each semester I move the post-its back to a spiral notebook from my planner. This allows me to write my lessons without giving me a headache when my students don't accomplish what I planned.

I did have to type my lessons for my last school. However, the typed format did not help me when I was teaching. My first year there, our lessons were due by the end of the day on Monday. Last year they changed it to Friday. My AP never checked our lessons so it was okay when they were last or never appeared.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 27, 2014

Type. Lessons are due Fridays for the following week. No big deal for me. My plans are super simple. They take me no more than about five minutes per course I teach. Obviously the actual planning takes me longer!

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 27, 2014

I'm required to submit mine online in a certain format. They are anywhere from 10-14 pages each week. My hand wouldn't work that long for me to write them out.

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 27, 2014

I don't write "lesson plans", per se, but I definitely plan!

I write my agenda for the day in pencil on a template I've created. I have to be able to erase my plans.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 27, 2014

No one in my district has to submit lesson plans. The teachers' union would be "all over that" if a principal requested lesson plans.

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 28, 2014

Just curious, why? Our union would never fight having to turn in plans. They may fight having to do those long detailed plans like some do but not plans itself.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2014

Just my thoughts having come off contract negotiations this year that were tough...If its not in the contract or job description, new directives to suddenly write plans might be considered a 'change in working conditions'. Might seem minor, but contacts are generally hard fought and changes even small ones, can result in big consequences later on.

16. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jul 28, 2014

We turn in our plans by Monday at noon. They have to be typed and we have to use a specific format. The end result is about 5 pages per subject. I would much rather type, that way I can plug in changes each week instead of redoing the entire plan.

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 28, 2014

I'll have to look at our contract. We just finished negotiations and I don't remember seeing anything about lesson plans in there. I would have no problems with it as long as it didn't specify any one "type" of plan.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2014

Might be in your job description rather than contract...

19. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2014

Exactly. Our Union contract says nothing about writing LPs and until I got to my current school, it was never demanded of me (although suggested because I was a newbie).

LPs are a big deal at my current school and we are punished for not writing them because Admin claims it's part of the "Professional Responsibilities" part of our annual evaluation. It's one thing that we all just suck up and do instead of getting our Union rep involved.

20. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 28, 2014

I type them into a form. But I've hand written them when I'm on vacation or something.

21. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 28, 2014

Our job descriptions are listed in our contracts so if it's there, that's where it'll be.

As far as I know, there's no consequence for not doing them. I've forgotten to hit the share button before and nothing was ever said. I'm sure it may be different for a teacher who's on an improvement plan.

22. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 28, 2014

Agreed. Our district doesn't require them either, and while I do them daily anyway, knowing I HAVE to do it and I HAVE to submit it to a principal before a certain time, just adds a layer of stress that I don't want.

Also I've heard of schools who require 10 page lesson plans, and that sounds absolutely ridiculous.

23. a.guillermo

a.guillermo Rookie

Jul 28, 2014

I have everything all typed out. It helps me review what I think went well or didn't go well, and I can re-use them every year. I don't have to submit my plans to anyone, but I do have weekly meetings with the principle and just make sure all is well. I've been at the same school for quite a while, working under the same boss. We have a good trusting relationship.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2014

As part of my job description, I turn in my plans once every three weeks. We are subscribed to OnCourse for writing and submitting our plans. I ONLY turn in the plans for the week that I'm scheduled to turn in. The other weeks I pretty much keep a written running record in my personal plan book. My P ideally would probably like detailed plans with objectives,lesson, activities, assessment but we don't do that. I pretty much just list the concept I'm teaching for each content area each day and my P is good with it. He only has a problem with those who habitually don't turn in plans as scheduled.

25. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 28, 2014

I much prefer typing. I usually just make a bulleted list. I have never had to turn plans in. I would be extremely irritated if I had to follow a specific format to benefit some administrator and not me or my kids. I did some field experiences in schools where they would have to follow extremely long and detailed formats that would take them hours each week. My best friend has to turn hers in for the following week on the Friday before, and she hates it because she says her plans change so much throughout the week and by the time it's Wed. or Thurs. her plans look completely different than what she turned in.

26. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 28, 2014

If we were required to turn them into the principal i would prefer to type them. I also find that I retain them better when I hand write. Go figure.

Since we're only required to have them on our desks, I prefer to hand write them. That way I can glance at/change my plans at a moments notice.

When they're on the computer, I have to be bothered keeping my laptop on my desk/taking it around with me. I can do it on my phone in a pinch but the format changes and it's not as easy to manipulate the lesson plan.

27. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 28, 2014

I usually hand write a plan, then type out the more detailed lesson plan to submit. Mine has a title, objective(s), standard(s), the bellringer, what I will do, what students will do, any group work, assessment, and homework (if any). I am sure I will have more IEPs this year, so I will have to detail my modifications, but in total, my plans are a page for each day. I like having to submit because then I know what I am supposed to do each day.

28. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Jul 28, 2014

I write mine. I am a very slow typist. I would quit before I had to do 10-14 pages each week. with that being said, lesson plans are critical and I do them religiously...just in my own format and handwriting.

29. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 28, 2014

It depends on what I'm writing. If it is just notes for me as a reminder for what activities I have planned, I might write by hand. For example, I might write a list of reading groups and something like: Warmup - letter flashcards; Lesson - 24A; Memory review game if time.

Anything more than that, and I type, mostly because I like to be able to copy and paste information from different sources (such as objectives and goals).

30. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jul 28, 2014

Really interesting...I didn't have to submit plans at my old school...I'm so glad. I mean I write lesson plans for everything but I would hate having to submit them using a certain form or whatever..

The retiring teacher said she never had to submit plans either so I don't think I will have to at my new school :) yay

31. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jul 29, 2014

I have a 170 page Word doc with all my plans for the entire year. My lesson plans are highly detailed for each day. My district requires a generalized plan submitted weekly, but those are much less detailed than what I actually use for myself.

32. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2014

I used to use MSWord, saved onto a drive so can bring home.

Now I use Google docs so I don't have to save. It's available anytime from anywhere.

I also only do plans in a 3x3 box. It basically gives a sub an idea of what is happening that day. It has no detail. It basically says something like: Compound words using the story Mr. Putter and Tabby Bake a Cake

33. a.guillermo

a.guillermo Rookie

Aug 1, 2014

Google drive is a good tool for things like that. I use it for worksheets that need to be printed off.