Lesson Plans

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by cby1224, Jun 24, 2014.

1. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Jun 24, 2014

Let me preface by saying I am going to speak with my P and VP about this to see what they prefer and if there is a template I should be using.

When lesson planning, how detailed are your plans? I am working on lesson plans for the first couple of weeks and the template I am currently using isn't very detailed. It contains the standards that will be addressed for the week and then breaks the week down. In the daily breakdown, the template contains the topic of the lesson, the objective (includes the standards that will be addressed that day), the activities/materials for the day, assessments (formative and summative, and assignments.

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 24, 2014

Not detailed at all. Mine include the date, standard(s), brief list of activities (like 1. Quiz 2. Discussion 3. Theme activity), and then a spot for homework.

Some of our teachers just put the standard.

4. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Jun 24, 2014

Thanks dgpiaffeteach.

I was checking out the various lesson plan templates which prompted the question. Some are very detailed (like the one I wrote for college) and others are very basic. This template seemed like a nice happy medium and is user friendly.

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2014

We don't have to do plans at all. I make a calendar for myself that just has the assignment/topic of the day on it to keep things in order but nobody even checks that.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2014

Our required template looks more like a script... extremely detailed.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 24, 2014

That's what mine looks like too. Works for me.

I'd go nuts if I had to do formal lesson plans for each day. Way back when I had to do them for education courses in college, the lesson plans would often take longer to write than to execute!

8. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jun 24, 2014

We are required to do formal lesson plans for each day and have a copy available for viewing as well as uploaded to a specific site. Our template is pretty easy, about a page long. If I'm starting from scratch, it takes me about 15 minutes to create.

A friend at a neighboring school's required lesson plans end up at 3 pages though.

9. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2014

Very detailed. I teach for the LP Police who make everyone at my school use this five page template that is beyond ridiculous. We have to submit them to Dropbox on Sunday night.

The Humanities version of the template has us write down: Standards, Key People/Concepts/Themes, Unit Title, Critical Thinking Questions (for the entire unit), Each Day's Topic, Critical Thinking Questions (for each lesson), Objective, Warm up, I Do, We Do, You Do, Homework, Interventions for non-IEP/504, Accommodations and Modifications for IEP/504 students, Follow up/Reflections, Weekly Collected Data, and some more crap I forgot.

My Admin has the nerve to wonder why people literally copy and paste and submit pretty much the same LP every week. The nerve.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 25, 2014

It's threads like these that make me eternally grateful to be where I am. My plans take me about 15 minutes total to do a week's worth for three preps.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 4, 2014

Mine are fairly simple as well. We are not required to do them, but I find they help me be better prepared. Mine include a title, the lesson outcomes, what the kick-off is, what the teacher instruction in, the independent practice, and then the group work is going to be. I have a check list for the standards covered (I only broadly state the standard), and then the materials I need.

So it's more complicated than just planning on the calendar (which I do too for the sake of parents) but way less complicated than the plans I did in my credentialing program.

12. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2014

My P wants them very simple because she scans them when they are turned in--objective, activity and assessment, and homework. I do make it a little more detailed with notes to myself--what went good, what did not go good, what do I need to reteach, and future ideas. I still write my lesson plans and keep 2 plan books every year. One for the year that I am in and last years to see any notes I made. If I see something I would like to try, I also jot that down in last years book because I would never remember it when I got to teaching that objective!

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 4, 2014

Does the admin even READ them if they're 5 pages long? Yikes.

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2014

I know Admin does not read them b/c this is our ISTs job but basically all they do is report to Admin which teachers have not uploaded them by Monday morning.

Although, our ISTs do seem to read and give feedback (about once a quarter) to new/non-tenured teachers.

15. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Jul 4, 2014

This is a great idea to keep an area for notes of things that work really well vs things that don't, areas where the kids seem to have a hard time (like I am sure stoichiometry will be one), future idea/changes, etc.. :: off to write on the to do list::

16. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Jul 4, 2014

I can't even begin to imagine being required to use a 5 page template. Even my formal lesson plans during college were not that long. How long does it take you to plan each week?