Lesson Plans

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Resentful, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Jan 7, 2013

Another thread got me thinking about lesson plans. I've always handed my lesson plans in via email on the same day everyweek. I have a hard copy on my desk at all times. I've never really been asked to hand them in. I always assumed it was because I was handing them in on time. Anyway, it has come to my attention that some people are not handing in lesson plans. So, does your school have a set day for lesson plans? Is it required to hand them in at your school?

When I was student teaching, I remember there was a set day but I forget what day.

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2013

We don't have to hand them in. However, recently several people have been asked to turn in lesson plans after walkthroughs with no warning so many people are "beefing up" their plans.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2013

I turn in plans every three weeks.

5. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jan 7, 2013

We turn them in online... deadline is Monday mornings, by 8 AM.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2013

We aren't asked to turn in our plans. Our administration will look at our plan book during our observations so it's a good idea to have it handy. Our administration also has the right to ask us to turn in our lesson plans whenever they deem necessary.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2013

We have a special online program called Curriculum Engine where we write our plans. Our administrators have access to our lesson plans and can check them at any time. There's not a specific day when plans are due, but we are supposed to always be one week ahead in our plans. So, theoretically, if today is Thursday, then I should have plans through next Thursday. In practice, most administrators are fine with teachers having plans through the current week.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 7, 2013

We don't have to turn them in unless we're getting an observation, (like twice a year for normal teachers, four times for me because I'm new).

9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 7, 2013

Interesting.......I actually don't know my school's policy on this. Most people turn them in weekly, but my AP said she is "flexible." I usually email them Sunday night. This is the first week ever that I have been late. :eek: I haven't submitted yet. Got behind on some things! (Yet, ahead on other things! :rolleyes: Someday I'll have it all together.)

I haven't ever heard of anyone getting in trouble over plans. But nobody ever gets in trouble at my school for anything.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2013

Unless we are being observed, we also weren't expected to turn in lesson plans (I've worked at several different schools, two different school districts).

We were, however, expected to keep a lesson plan book that had general information about what page we were in the book. I typically went four weeks in advance. This was so that if they were doing a walkthrough, they could see at a glance what page we were on and also if there was an emergency, a sub could use our lesson plan book to see where we were at and where to go next.

11. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jan 8, 2013

We are supposed to turn them in at the beginning of each semester, for the whole semester. Yeah, that's useful. It only takes a few weeks to get off track due to students not understanding material or unexpected assemblies. I didn't look at those lesson plans at all last semester after I turned them in. Such a waste of time.

12. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2013

Follow up question for many of you - how detailed are your lesson plans that you have prepared for those of you that have to turn them in outside of the observations?

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 8, 2013

I'm really surprised so many people don't have to turn them in regularly.

Ours are due every Friday for the following week. I hate it because I always spend time on the weekends finding activities and can't include any of those because they are already turned in. So what I do in class is often different than on paper.

14. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 8, 2013

we have to have ours available and visible at all times. No specific format at all - just a list of standards we are covering and the activities we'll be doing.

15. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2013

I've never once turned in a lesson plan in 10 years of teaching at my site - not even for observations. I always offer mine but it has never been asked for nor required.

16. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2013

No one has ever looked at my lesson plans, even when I was a first year teacher! Our plans are supposed to be available by Monday morning for the current week.

17. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jan 8, 2013

Paper copy every Monday morning, or they come looking. I've always had mine ready though.

18. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2013

I do not have to turn mine in.

19. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2013

They are due every Wednesday evening, the week before you teach them. We post them online to a Blackboard-type site sponsored by our District. We are told they are checked on a regular basis, but I doubt this because Admin is never consistent. We also have to print them out and have them in our classroom box for anyone to access. This is at my current school; at the other schools I have worked at in my District, no one ever asked to see my LPs, much less post them online.

20. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jan 8, 2013

For the last 10 years we have had to have them handed in or e-mailed by Monday for that week. Before that things were more lenient.

21. ATXMusic

ATXMusic Rookie

Jan 9, 2013

Ours are emailed in every other Monday by 8am. We need to use the 5E planner.

Admin always check to see if they've been sent, but I'm starting to doubt whether they open the email or not, much less download the plans.