Lesson plans

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ohteach, Aug 15, 2005.

1. ohteach

ohteach Companion

Aug 15, 2005

I am a first yeat teacher who just signed the contract last week. I will be teaching first grade and I am VERY overwhelmed. I am the only first grade teacher with a class of 12 so far. I am horribale about planning lessons too far in advance. I find if I do that I never stick to them anyway because I find a better idea or I get stuck on a concept for longer then I thought I would. Being that it is my first year and I have a lot on my plate I want to make sure I use my time wisely. How far in advance should I try and plan? I don't want to make it look like I am not planning anything, would maybe 3-4 weeks at a time be sufficent?

3. nascarkat

nascarkat Guest

Aug 15, 2005

I teach 2nd grade and I try to plan one week ahead. I use our district curriculum guide to do some long-term planning, but I find that I get off schedule if I try to plan too far out. I do my plans on the computer so that I have a general idea of what I'm doing from year to year. I can cut and paste from year to year. Works out good for me! :)

4. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Aug 15, 2005

When I do my planning, I roughly outline where I would like to be in, let's say, a month. This long range plan allows me to "see the light at the end of the tunnel". As for the real planning as in day-to-day planning, I try to have a "plan of attack" only to include the upcoming week. On Fridays before I leave school, I have my lesson plans done for the next week. If I don't cover something one day, I will get it the next day. My lesson plans for the week are compiled on one regular-sized sheet of paper. In this way, I can see at a glance what should be covered.

Because of various interruptions, distractions, and lengths of time on different subjects, I don't think that it is really feasible to plan more than a week at a time with great detail. One week at a time with a focus point seems to work well for me.

Good luck...
    ~*Robin*~

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2005

Even when you write plans a week ahead the plans are really only good for Monday!! You always end up having to re-teach, review something or there's a fire drill or unexpected something so I end up drawing lots of arrows in my book moving things to later in the week as these unplanned blips happen!! Get a 'mental picture' of how your months/year is gong to go- when you are going to hit different topics/concepts and then write your plans week by week- as you head towards the middle of a week start thinking where you are going the next week always keping in mind that mental picture/timeline of how your year will go so you can cover all the curriculum.

6. karlyn

karlyn Rookie

Aug 15, 2005

I like to plan ahead.. I feel it gives me more confidence in what I do week to week. At our school, we have to do our planning quite in advance. We turn in our syllabi a month before the new semester begins and in our syllabi, we have to include a week to week lesson plan. By the time school starts, we have the semester all laid out.. we just fill in the details from there. We also do mandatory class notes each month.. that means at the end of the month, all the teachers turn in more descriptive outlines on exactly what went on through the month.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea to plan in advance, but also allow yourself some room to improvise because, as you stated, we sometimes get some last-minute inspirations and changes of plans. But if you have that plan in the back of your head, then I think you'll see it helps you feel more cinfident and less overwhelmed.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 15, 2005

I plan a week ahead, but like to plan in advance. What I do is write down which concepts, lessons, and units I would like to teach when in pencil. This helps me plan a whole year, but be open to change.

8. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Aug 16, 2005

Last year there were 3 of us teaching second grade and I was the only one that had done it before!! We sat down and mapped out which concepts would be taught each month. How we taught them was left to the individual teacher. We also mapped out which reading stories we'd be doing each week since we use strictly trade books and only have enough for one class to use at a time.

This will be my 7th year and I'm actually loving that I have a year of concepts mapped out. It has given me a lot more focus, especially over the summer. When I found an idea that looked good I would file it in a folder labeled with the month that concept will be studied. It also focused me to look for topics coming up soon.

I'd be willing to try and post our calendars if anyone is interested or email them to you.

Off Topic: How did you guys get the pictures or grade clipart to be by your user name on your posts? Can you tell I'm new?