lesson plans

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JaimeMarie, Aug 14, 2010.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 14, 2010

I have been seeing a lot of posts about getting rooms ready. Has any one worked on lesson plans this summer? I am going to start this week.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2010

I finished getting my geometry notes together the other day.

SAT prep will be finished as soon as I get the new edition of the book.

I'm pretty much good to get started.

4. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 14, 2010

I've been working on lesson plans; I have my first two weeks planned, handouts printed, etc... I'm using all the info for the second semester that I used last year, so I just need to fill in October through December, lol.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2010

Yes, I worked on lesson plans during the summer...and have been teaching them for two weeks now. :)

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2010

I've got my first week plans done, have my long-range roughed out, have been gathering ideas and materials all summer. This week, I'll get most of my specific planning done through the end of November.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2010

That's about where I am, also.

8. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

I have my first week planned. And I have my Science and Social Studies Units planned out. But other than that I do alot of planning day by day. I have learned that if I plan to far ahead then I make more work for myself. Since I teach first grade, it really depends on how they did with the topic. Because I may scrap everything and reteach.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 14, 2010

You all have gotten a lot done.

Teach1st, I know what you mean about planning. I am going to put units together and have papers ready but not plan it for a specific day.

10. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 14, 2010

All the while I was hanging new bulletin boards and arranging my crayons and pencils, I was brainstorming and jotting down notes on ways to improve my instruction this year. I have my first 2 weeks planned along with some great ideas to implement throughout the year.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 14, 2010

I have about 3/4 of my official "lesson plans" typed up and stored on my "brain" (portable hard drive). That being said, those plans are not "hard and fast" at this point. They are generally based upon our pacing guides and last year's instruction, but I'll change them to reflect this year's students and their needs. Does that make sense?

12. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

I have a sketch of what I am going to do this year in my mind. It will be pretty similar to last year. It is much easier now that I have been teaching 5th grade for four years. I have most of my units figured out. I usually pull them out a week or two before I teach the unit to see if I need to add or delete anything.

I do know what I am going to do next week. I have copies done and ready to go.

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 14, 2010

I've got my year sketched out for all 4 preps.
    I feel very prepared for the year.

14. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 14, 2010

I hope I do not sound stupid but you guys are scaring me with this thread. So this is my 2nd year teaching and last year I did not plan over the summer of course because I was looking for my job. And now this year I feel like I do not need to plan past the first week. How are you guys planning stuff. I do not know where to start. I have all of my curriculum/pacing guides but I know the first two weeks I will focus on assessments(what the students come in knowing) and rules/procedures.

How are you all planning for your core stuff?

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2010

Here's an idea of what I do. This year I am teaching grades 2-5. I already know what groups each child will be in, so I sit down with my reading and math curriculum and long term sketch in what units I will follow in what order. That gives me a year long plan for those subjects.
    For science, I spent a couple of weeks figuring out what units are taught for each grade level. Then I grouped similar units together and made a long term plan for those units. My science instruction will be generally geared towards the older students because the 5th graders take the standardized test.
    For social studies, I have much more leeway because that subject isn't tested. So, I chose to start the year with a state study of Florida because I think my students are woefully ignorant about the state they live in. Then I will move to political studies, for the same reason. After that, we will move to history. There's the year planned.
    So, when school begins I am pretty much planned for the year.

16. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 14, 2010

Whew! You all been busy little bees!...especially our friends already in the teaching mode. :)

Mine's all planned out for me with our pacing guides too for all my "core stuff". I just have to plug in it all the areas with times, etc. into my computer, which takes time and brain power (something I'm trying to muster). But I've been rereading all the curriculum books over the summer (my 2nd year) to fill in any holes or add something that may enhance my teaching. I've found some really cool stuff on this website (I LOVE THIS WEBSITE) and appreciate everyone sharing their ideas that have helped me fill in some of those holes and give me fresh ideas. The last stuff to really think about is the science and other areas that are not core related but are standard related---if that makes sense. Me thinks it'll be fast and furious week next week!

VANewbie. I think you're on the right track. You've got your general plan before you, but we all know assessment drives instruction, so you'll do just fine I'm sure :)

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2010

My first week is spent beginning diagnostic assessments and beginning my first unit. My program begins on day 1. While I won't go into the year having lesson plans written for the whole year, my first units--which will take me into November--will be pretty well set. I know the students that I am getting, so I can plan my program modifications in a fair bit of detail. I have my culminating tasks decided, and am working backwards, planning the scaffolding activities required to give my students the required skills. I have read the books I'll be using for literature circles throughout the year and am just now choosing some of the stories for guided reading. I have mapped out which writing forms, writing traits and reading comprehension strategies I'll be focusing on each month. Although things will need to be tweaked as the year goes on and I get to know my students better, I need to have a fairly comprehensive plan going in.

18. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 14, 2010

I am ready to go. Well, not physically, but the lesson plans are done. :)

19. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 14, 2010

Ok so I guess I am on the right track without actually knowing it. lol

20. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 14, 2010

I do a lot of "planning" while I'm setting my room up. For example, I have to figure out exactly how I'm going to do writer's workshop before I can set the bins and baskets up.

I WAS going to spend the next 2 weeks planning, but since I have to re-do my classroom (and I can't actually get in until this Wednesday), I'll only have about 5 days to plan before school starts. UGH!

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 14, 2010

I plan for the first week, as well.

I also did/will do the following:
    -Map out details about how I will introduce each area of the Daily 5
    -Spend some time looking at our new Math for Smartboard activities
    -Brainstorm new activities for each science unit
    -Look at how I do writer's workshop and find some new ideas and lessons
    -Set up a Literacy CAFE board and make a menu. Plan some lessons that I will use to introduce the different strategies.

So, I don't actually plan each day, but I look at certain things more in-depth than I might during a busy school year.

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2010

I have not accomplished ANYTHING this summer- I am going in Monday and Tuesday to throw my room together before my first day back (which is Wednesday).
    However, I am glad I haven't done anything yet because I was told yesterday they we might departmentalize. I am fine with it, but a few days before the year begins?! Yikes :eek: That does not leave me a lot of time to plan for it! I hope to talk to my P Monday and find out if we are for sure doing this and what I will teach (likely math even though I want science and social studies). I hope she doesn't wait until Wednesday to make a final decision. I am in meetings and workshops all day Wednesday and Thursday, 1/2 day Friday and Monday (23rd) is our open house. That is not a lot of time to change my room over if necessary! Or to plan! Or figure out seating charts for 3 classes!

23. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

I started lesson planning, but thank goodness I decided to take a break since I might be switching jobs/ or grade level.

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2010

I also anticipate that there may be some changes (maybe lots) to teaching assignments before school starts. Just a couple of registrations over the summer could lead to major re-shuffling. However, all of my planning will be applicable whether my English class stays a split grade 7/8 or becomes either a straight grade 7 or 8 with only very minor tweaking.

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2010

It's so funny, Mrs. C.

I had a dream a few weeks ago that I was bumped up to Seniors -- the Calc teacher is elderly and has had health issues before.

Since then, every time the phone rings I think it's that.

I'm certainly not wishing a calamity on him. I like him and he does a good job. And I love teaching geometry. In fact, the administration knows I'm fine with whatever they ask me to teach.

I just have this funny feeling this summer that I'll get a last minute change.

26. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 15, 2010

It's hard for me to plan anything in stone because I still have to meet with my team and iron out what objectives we all want to start with. I have read many books this summer (Amazon has gotten a lot of my business just from suggestions on this site :whistle:) and now just have to put everything together in an actual plan. We have the 1st 9 weeks mapped out. It doesn't help either that we have a new reading adoption that's still in boxes-no one really knows what to expect from that.

VANewbie-I absolutely do assessments the first week, but also start instruction-even if it's just review of last year's concepts I have to plan some actual activities for them.

27. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2010

I have my 1st quarter mapped out on a 9 week block sheet for LA.

I'm waiting on a syllabus from another teacher for my elective that I've never taught before I map that out.

I know approximately what I have to cover in each of the other quarters - I'm just waiting to finalize the timing with with reading and science teachers before I map it.

I don't have my "official" plans written yet - the school changed the format over the summer and we haven't received it yet.

I really need to start working on some unit plans.

28. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 15, 2010

I have my first 2 weeks planned out, but not written in a format I like yet. I have tried writing the plans on a few different computer formats (google calendar, ms office notebook, etc.) but don't like them. I fear I am a dinosaur who will always prefer writing plans on paper, so I will go get a plan book for this year's plans.

29. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Aug 15, 2010

I basically have my year mapped out due to pacing guides. I have been teaching for two weeks, and I have the next two weeks of lesson plans done. I like to map out the units for each week at the beginning of the year. However, I occasionally leave a "catch-up" week when I can so that I can play with dates/review, etc.

30. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 15, 2010

Would you give your plans for the classes are you teaching to however gets switched to your position?

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2010

Oh, sure.

We're all pretty great about sharing stuff.

My "lesson plans" are pretty fluid at this point in my career. I know what I want to include in a lesson, but don't write up formal plans anymore.

But my planning materials, and the notes I have pre-written (the Geometric Theorems and so on) are always shared. We all just pop stuff into each other's mailboxes.