Lesson Plans

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Jan 3, 2010

Can we talk lesson plans?

I'm a new pre-k teacher in an elementary school. I was in a Head Start last year and we had a 2-page planning sheet we were supposed to use to plan for the month. Now that I'm in a public school, I'm using one page for each day of the week and I always include a weekly schedule with the daily pages. My principal came to evaluate me and said this was not enough detail in the lesson plans. I basically outline step-by-step my two circle times (down to the books and songs we'll do) and then write down a basic idea for what we will do in small groups (i.e., Teacher: Practice writing names with students in small groups; Assistant: Make snowman craft by tearing paper and cutting out circles with students in small groups)

My principal complained that I only wrote down things about the circle times and the small group times. Well? That's the only times I actively plan for. We have breakfast, lunch, an hour of outside time (required by our license), nap, snack, bathroom and transition times. I just wondering, what am I doing wrong? Do you write down plans for other times or do you do more activities that you write down? I'm going to start writing more detail for my small groups, but I'm still not sure what she wants. I guess I could ask her, but I don't want to look like I don't know what I'm doing. Help? :confused:

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 3, 2010

When I taught pre-K we had to list activities in each center and how they met state standards. This was very basic and simple. For example:

Art:
    Materials: easel, red paint, yellow paint
    Activities: students paint with brush or fingers to create orange items. Teacher/para will label object in painting.
    Standards: 1,3

Creative play:
    Materials: community helper costumes
    Activity: Teacher/para will model putting on hat, and stating what job and role is. (Exa. I'm a police officer, and I keep people safe from criminals.) Students will be praised for repeating this activity during free play time.
    Standards: 4, 12

(Note: I made up the standard numbers...)

These were the same for at least the whole week, and sometimes for up to a month, depending on the center.

We also had to plan for each circle time, a table time, a whole-group math "lesson," and two small groups. My lesson plans were basically my classroom schedule, but expanded to include materials, procedure for what the students and teachers would do, and the standards they would be working towards. Everything had a standard associated with it, even snack and nap.

4. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2010

I don't have to be very specific, but I do have friends in other schools who do. They've solved that problem by writing general objectives for times of the day that they aren't "actively" teaching (I know that sounds bad because when aren't we teaching, but I know you know what I mean). They then print, copy, cut and paste those into their plan books every day. Or, you could do your plan book like I do, on the computer, and have those parts pre-filled in every day before you print out the pages.

For example, general objectives for snack may be:
    The students will:
    Find and read own and classmates' names (if you use a nametag system to assign seats).
    Use fine motor skills in a functional manner (opening food).
    Develop socially acceptable table skills.
    Answer questions within a conversation.
    (these are actually listed in our standards, so I'd put the standard # next to the obj, but I don't have my standards with me right now.)

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 3, 2010

I would also include the goal and activities of the interest centers. For example, use blocks to build ramps for cars.

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 3, 2010

and continuing on blue's comment if you have added, say farm animals for your farm theme time, then add why and what it correlates to in the standards. So you have blocks and the standards it covers and the specific addition to the interest center and what it correlates too as well. Even areas like snack can be seasonally or color specific and so on.

7. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jan 4, 2010

I write out a daily schedule with a detailed description of how each thing is done including lining up for the bathroom and how the lunch process works etc . . I keep it as a master on my computer and just type in the other details so I don't have to retype the whole thing every time

8. HappyLearning

HappyLearning Rookie

Jan 4, 2010

Do you know another teacher at the school who could show you their lesson plans? Maybe theyve figured out how to write plans that please the principal and can help you out

I agree that you might want to have a blub about the independent centers you have open, stating the matierials avaliable and the learning objective. Also, for small groups, I usually briefly state the modeling, guided practice and independent practice for each group lesson. I have also put the standard it teaches too also.

Another possibility is that the principal is just not familar with preschool. Having moved "down" to preschool from elementary I know that they are very different worlds. You might want to think about arranging your lesson plans in a way that show her that circle and group time is not "all you do". You might hilight the learning in outdoor play (specific activities, large motor, turn taking, following rules) learning in snack time, nap time, etc. And transitions are always valuable teaching times. I'm sure you've got them learning all day long-- you might need to make that really clear in your plans for your principal

Good luck!

9. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Jan 4, 2010

I include all of the above as well as any differentiating I do. For example, when practicing name writing, I include the students who I sit next to and help with pencil grip and letter formation. I have one gifted girl in my class as well as two children who are "at risk for developmental delays" so I need to differentiate instruction every day and I include how I am going to do that in all of my lesson plans. I also include assessments, how I know that my children are meeting the learning objectives, whether it be anecdotal records, checklist, portfolio, etc.

10. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jan 5, 2010

I agree with some of the previous advice given, talk with another teacher on your campus in your grade level first and ask to see their plans. If you are the only one in your grade level ask a kinder teacher. Public schools can be very picky about their lesson plans, especially if you are Title 1 funded. Over the years we have had many different "mandatory" templates and lesson plan guidelines we have had to follow in our district. Some have required we take the state guidelines and plug them into our plans (a HUGE pain) and others want things like questions, objectives etc for every single activity etc. The plans I do in public school are drastically different than the ones I did for Head Start, but every place is different... Good luck!

11. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Jan 5, 2010

Thanks everyone! That actually helps a lot. I never really thought about pointing out what they're learning in centers or during mealtimes. I have asked to see my mentor k teacher's planbook, and it does look like she plans more because she has individual sections for the subjects (math, reading, writing, science, social studies). I think this week for our meeting I'll ask to look at hers again and also bring mine and see if she has some ideas about how I can improve.

We don't have a state curriculum, but a curriculum the county has picked out that the principal is totally unfamilar with. I have been including the obj. #'s but maybe I'll also start including a printout of what those objectives are.

12. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jan 11, 2010

I write mine out as if a sub was going to be there instead of me--- just some food for thought as you think about what to include in it

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 12, 2010

Mine are boxes across the top... table toys, stations, gathering circle, story, circle activity, group activity, other/special... and days down the side. (I'd rather do it the other way but this is what fits in the plan book I have to turn in). I list the activity or activities that are in each of those parts, with either the number/letter of the state standard or a few words about the objective right next to it.

Then I have a blurb about "free choice time includes, but is not limited to" and list activity areas and some fo the standards each of those cover.

So while the planning usually takes me a little while, the actual imputting into plans doesn't take me very long... I jsut cut-and-paste from the previous week and switch out what's different. I'm often covering the same standards for book, songs, etc., so they can just stay.