Lesson Plans or Term Papers?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by atomic, Mar 17, 2010.

1. atomic

atomic Companion

Mar 17, 2010

When did lesson plans go from being a tool to keep track of curriculum progress to me spending a weekend writing 3 page plans per subject per class?

I thought that a lesson plan was supposed to be for me.

Now I spend 8-10 hours of every Sunday writing lesson plans?

When will admin realize that this isn't going to make me a better teacher? This only makes them look good. They can show off how great my lesson plans look, while I get burned out. I don't have that pep in my step that made me a better teacher. I feel drained on Monday morning!

My lessons are good because I present them energetically and can draw from a world of experience. If all I do is paperwork, I'll never be able to make all the connections I used to when I had the time to use my skills on my free time.

What a waste of time and resources...not to mention the reems of paper and cartridges of ink they use printing this stuff out...

I used to have time to research connections to real world stuff...find that "fun" lesson...not anymore...

booo....term paper style lesson plans...booo

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 17, 2010

Wow. I have never been asked to do what you are doing, but I can sympathize with the amount of work that would require.

For a year or 2 we were asked to submit the previous week's lesson plans, but could submit whatever we used however it was put together. We don't even do that now. Our admin treats us as if we are all experts.

4. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Mar 17, 2010

Our lesson plans can be in whatever format we want, as whatever we use. All I typically submit is:

Topic: German Invasions of WWII
    Reading: Chapter 29, Section 1
    Method: PowerPoint & Discussion
    Homework: Timeline of WWII

What's their reasoning for the massive plans?

5. Grover

Grover Cohort

Mar 17, 2010

My wife is a first grade teacher and has a similar lesson-plan load. It's all about 'accountability' and 'instructional alignment'. Everybody has to be able to prove they are following the standards and the curriculum down to the last punctuation mark so when their schools fail AYP they know who to blame. Or fire.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 18, 2010

I expect my teachers too turn in every Friday a sample of their lesson plans, here would be a sample lesson plan.

Thursday March 11, 2010:
    1. Crusades Powerpoint and Discussion (Notes)
    2. Crusades Primary Source Activity
    3. HW: Crusades Reading

Friday March 12, 2010:
    1. Check and Review Homework
    2. Crusades Fairy Tale
    3. HW: Finish Fairy Tale (Quiz grade) due Tuesday and Study for a Quiz on the Crusades

Monday March 15, 2010:
    1. Crusades Quiz
    2. Begin Black Death Movie
    3. HW: None

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 18, 2010

The only time I had to do long lesson plans like that was when I was student teaching. Now for each day I have: objectives, methods of instruction and methods of assessment. It takes me about 30-45 minutes per course.

I think the pp who said it's all for AYP hit the nail on the head. When asked to do it this long way it's all about accountability.

8. atomic

atomic Companion

Mar 18, 2010

and who do they hold accountable? ...the teachers...

I'm really tired of hearing this. I really want to change districts, but with the budget problems in Jersey I'm just happy to have a job.

9. Grover

Grover Cohort

Mar 18, 2010

There may be some districts that are a little better than yours in this regard, but NCLB, the driving force behind this, is nation wide.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 18, 2010

We were there a couple of years ago and complained to admin. It was like, "Go away kid, I have to write lesson plans, therefore, I don't have time to teach you." It just didn't make any sense.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2010

We do not have any specified way of doing our lesson plans, and they can be as detailed or laxed as we want, but I do spend a good couple of hours planning, and sometimes more.

12. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Mar 18, 2010

Wow! I sympathize. I only wrote detailed lesson plans when I was student teaching and maybe for my graduate work, but definitely not now. Mine currently look like what Brendan has described. My admin. has never asked to see my lessons. Make sure you are saving yours so that they can be used again and it is easier to alter what you have. You mentioned that you spend 8-10 hours on Sunday doing these plans. Do you not have any planning or preparation time during the school day?

13. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Mar 18, 2010

My lesson plans take me forever. I really should start them now, but my grades are due for this trimester and I'm grading writing prompts. I'm so sick of writing lesson plans. We have to submit them online through oncourse and our administrator makes comments on them during the weekend. So frustrating.

14. atomic

atomic Companion

Mar 19, 2010

We use oncourse too! I hate that program, but I think I'll miss it next year.

It was too expensive to keep, so we are going to a new online program...its going to suck.

Absolutely anyone in the world with the internet will have access to my everyday lesson plan. What a mess this is going to cause...

I really don't need every parent and teacher in the district to see my plans....

ahhhhh!!!!!

If the job market wasn't the pits right now, I'd be gone...I have a feeling that admin are using the poor job market to push us to do more things that they we would have rebeled against 5 years ago.

15. atomic

atomic Companion

Mar 19, 2010

echalk is the new one they are looking at for next year.

16. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Mar 20, 2010

Our admin went with oncourse because we were being audited by qsac? I'm so glad that's over. My plans were due yesterday at 4....still haven't attempted to complete them.

17. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Mar 20, 2010

When our P did observations this week she was taking a look at all our plans for the day. We were required to have standard #, obejctive, method/activites, materials and assessment procedures. Also we were told what week we would be observed but not which day/time. All the teachers I know did beautiful plans for the days we could potentially be observed and then went back to the basic we usually do.

18. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Mar 27, 2010

why don't you suggest a different format and give them actual examples? i have a couple templates if you email me

19. atomic

atomic Companion

Mar 27, 2010

I wish it was that easy. The new superintendent has his vision and won't listen to suggestions.
    I'd be interested in seeing your templates though.