Lesson Plans on Computer/Template

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, Jul 23, 2010.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

Does anyone do their lesson plans on the computer? I created a template (and spent too much time on it). My intentions was that I would make a "skeleton" and then handwrite my lessons b/c I do like to have a hardcopy etc. BUT .... now that I've printed it out and started writing in the boxes ... they are too small. ANY IDEAS/SUGGESTIONS? I've made them as big as possibly can.

3. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 23, 2010

I do mine on a template, but I type them and adjust the size of the columns/rows as needed and then print them and put them in my lesson plan book. We have to put ours on our shared resources at school for all to see.

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

yes, I always have. I don't like doing it in Excel, just because I'm not as knowledgeable about excel. I have a template in Word that works great for me.

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

why can't you just type the plans - then print out?

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 23, 2010

I do that too, first I use a regular plan book - either the one my school gives me or the one Lakeshore gives away to jot my notes, just a few words that give be a brief outline of what I am thinking, and then I type it in and the boxes adjust to the size needed. I like having them typed because much of the activities are the same, just changing it for the letters/words/numbers we are learning each day/week.

7. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

ii could type them in but I thought I would need a hard copy to take with me to meetings etc so I can jot down assemblies etc. But maybe I just take my calendar to meetings and jot those things down etc. What do you guys do?

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

yes I just use a calendar or a planner for meetings, assemblies, etc. I have never put those in my lesson plans. Alot of times those things are unreliable. If there are lessons I don't get to because of an assembly or something, I just push it forward to the next day or drop it altogether if it wasn't too important. I've hand written lesson plans.

9. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

I type my plans in Word (have to submit them online).

I just use a planner/calendar to take to meetings with me.

I used to print the pages out each week and put them in a planbook, but my laptop is always open so I just have the plan document minimized to the bottom of the screen

10. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jul 24, 2010

I type my lesson plans and turn them in hard copy every week. I also keep a copy with me at all times because I need it with me to keep my head on straight. :D

One thing that really helps me is that I have a table with every lesson and unit I am doing all year and roughly what week I am teaching them. (I don't put Saxon Math and Phonics in there, just all the content and literature units.) That way all I have to do is plug the lesson in to the week's plans (copy and paste).

Someday I would like to know Excel well enough to have them all in that, but for now I use Word for almost everything.

11. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 24, 2010

OK, I forgot to quote you saying you didn't know excel so well. You might try taking an online class for free. I think it is gclearnfree.org that has them. It will help anyone who needs it with word or excel or powerpoint. (As long as you own the program. If you don't, you can just use the tutorials without signing up for the class. The class gives you CEUs if you sign up and do them).

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 24, 2010

I create a template in Excel every year. The initial template takes a little while to set up to be exactly what I like, but it's worth it. Then I can type in that week's plans and save them. I keep a file on my computer for lesson plans for the current year. I simply save the plans as the 1st day of the week. I also save a blank version so I can print out and take with me to our weekly meetings. This is one that I will write on while we're planning. Sometimes I already have the basics typed in and print that for the meetings. It's really easy to make changes before I submit them for the week. We're required to email a copy in to one of our secretaries by 8:00 on Mondays. It makes it really easy to have a template.

13. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2010

14. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jul 25, 2010

I tried that web address but it was a cybersquatter with links to paid online learning.

15. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2010

I am getting the Google Docs site when I click on it.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2010

So am I.

17. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 26, 2010

I think Silmarienne is talking about the free on-line computer class site that was mentioned earlier in the thread. The correct address is GCF Learn Free , I've linked it for you here.

18. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

Hmmm! i'm so bummed but I think I'm going to have to go back to the hard/handwritten copy of lesson plans. I've been spending WAY TOO MUCH time trying to get this template JUST RIGHT and it's really annoying me! I'm bummed b/c I SOOOO wanted a digital copy so it was neat and easy to read.

I wanted to upload my doc to googledocs so I could edit/make changes from anywhere but it keeps reformatting my table thus causing more work.

ugh! i give up!

19. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 26, 2010

I have decided that I will handwrite my details in the school provided lesson plan book and I will have a typed up "overview" for each week in my substitute folder. I like writing out my plans, always have, and have not had much success when I type things up, because I find myself moving things around too much and then it is just a jumbled mess. So, lesson plan book, old school style, it shall be! :)