Lesson Plans for the first week or two...

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by pwhatley, Jul 24, 2009.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2009

I would LOVE to see lesson plans for the day(s)/week(s) you set aside to do procedures, etc. I don't have any from last year (my first - and what little advice I received from my grade-level chair was bad), so I'm definitely looking to improve this year!

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

This is my prototype 1st day schedule. We will continue to review routines and procedures for the first 5-6 weeks but the curriculum content will be increasing.

8:05- Morning Work: sort supplies, locate and decorate name

8:30 - Morning Meeting: teacher introduction, student introductions (can show decorated name? maybe), morning meeting expectations (how we sit, what it sounds like, looks like what we do),shared writing (one or two sentences for now) and calendar (explaining expectations along the way)

8:50 Read Aloud: First Day Jitters (haven't decided on actual book yet)

9:00 - Phonics: recognizing names in pocket chart (This name is Ashley. Ashley starts with an "A". Say Ashley.).

9:20 - Hallway and line expectations. Practice lining up and talk about what it looks like. Discuss hallway expectations. Tour the school. (Our grade level is touring the school in 10 minute intervals. Each class will follow the same path in the school, but we will stagger each class by 10 minutes to give time to explain things along the way.)

9:45: Explain snack procedures and eat snack

10:00: Shared Reading (poem)

10:20 review line proceduress- review recess expectation - physically take them outside and discuss and practice rules and guidelines for equipment, boundaries, how to know recess is over and how we line up

10:40 Recess

11:00 - RR procedures and RR break

11:15 - Independent Reading (still deciding what mini-lesson to do this day)

11:30- reflect on school tour earlier and discuss cafe expectations again. (Lunch at 11:40)

12:15 Writer's Workshop - storytelling mini lesson. We will officially begin Lucy Calkins launching unit the 2nd week of school. We have a short storytelling unit we do first.

12:45Math - mini lesson - how to take care of manipulatives, stations - free exploration

1:20 Dismissal procedures - clean up the room, where to go, how to sit, what you can do while waiting, etc.

1:50Read Aloud: a poem and closure of the day..and encourage them to walk themselves to class tomorrow without mommy and daddy.

2:00 Specials (PE, Art, Music, or Science Lab)

2:50 They are dismissed

We do science and social studies in the a.m. on Mondays so it is not on my first day schedule. This schedule is very tentative and I will be lucky if I get to half of it! Tomorrow will look a lot the same but we will also go over morning procedures - what to do when you walk in the room, etc. We will continue to work on all of these things and add on things.

4. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2009

Wow, thanks, teachers! I am currently reading The First Six Weeks of School, and have just finished reading 1,2,3 Magic! for Teachers and re-reading The First Days of School (can you spot the pattern here?), but I thought I'd try to see what teachers "in the trenches" had in mind. I appreciate your generosity, Lynnn725!

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2009

anyone else?

8. NC1stGradeTeach

NC1stGradeTeach Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

This is a great question and i look forward to the different ideas!!! i have been a pull out reading teacher for the past four years so I haven't had to think about soo many different things like this!! This website will be soooo helpful when school starts in three weeks( yikes!!! :) )

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2009

I promise to post my thoughts as SOON as I get my schedule - I'm kind of lost without it, since I'm going to a totally new school!

10. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jul 29, 2009

I'm not trying to add another book to your reading but I'm reading a book called Phonics They Use by Patricia M. Cunningham. It has a lot of great activities that I'm going to use for the beginning of school. Most of it will be review for my kiddos (I taught K and will be moving with my class), but I think it'll be really helpful for the beginning and throughout the year.

Now...this is a book I got in college about 6 years ago...so you may have to look on ebay or amazon to find it!

11. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

I have that book also! I need to pull that out. I always have the idea every summer that I am going to reread all these books...this summer I was working on my masters though, so busy doing that!

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2009

Okay, writing down Phonics They Use - now I'm gonna add it to my ever-growing Amazon wishlist! LOL

13. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2009

I always start of my day with the book Hugs which talk about different types of hugs and we discuss whether or not my students like hugs or hand shakes. A way to help me know them. I also use a t-shirt activity where the students decorate a t-shirt and I put their pictures on it that hangs over their hooks in the hall, but now I am thinking about using something like a leaf or an animal out of the jungle since my room is a jungle theme. I really liked the phonics idea using the children's name and I may incorporate this in my class. For math we do Everyday Counts Calendar Math and this starts on the first day. We also talk about rules and procedures all day long as part of social studies and Language-listening skills are important. I usually do an All about Me pack also.

14. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2009

I like the idea of them decorating their own hook! I wonder if I could find a fish template...

15. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2009

you can draw one and it will work.

16. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2009

Lol, I thought of that after I pressed submit.

17. mrs.groves

mrs.groves Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

I haven't exactly planned my first week out but I always do Brown Bear, Brown Bear and we make a mini-book with it since it is familiar to most kids. Also, then we make a class book with our pictures modeling the same storyline. This helps them learn each others names and faces.

Also, we read the book Chrysanthmum by Kevin Hicks and do activities with our names and how they are all special.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head.

18. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2009

I have an ocean theme room and in the past I have read Rainbow fish during the first week. We would talk about the lesson/moral of the story and how we can apply it to our lives...I think it was about sharing or something. Then they would each make a rainbow fish out of paper plates, various shades of blue felt and a piece of aluminum foil. I would staple them to the wall and it would be some decor in our room until we had more anchor charts and student work to post.

19. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2009

I do this story also in the first week of school.

20. mrs.groves

mrs.groves Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

I just remembered last night that we also call them up one by one to take their picture, weigh them, and see how tall they are. This goes in their file for their end of the year book. :)

21. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 4, 2009

I'm trying to remember what I did last year... Unfortunately, my usb drive crashed mid-year, so I don't have any electronic copies, and my former administration kept my old lps. I know that during the first couple of days, I read The Night Before First Grade, Wow! School!, and A Fine, Fine School. Through the rest of the week and into the 2nd week, I read Chrysanthemum, I Wish I Were a Butterfly, Giraffes Can't Dance, & Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. With the exception of Chicka Chicka, they all have a moral or a "school will be okay" theme to them, which I expanded into discussions/activities/lessons. I'm gonna price Hugs and Rainbow Fish (this one I have seen before and remember it being great!). I guess what I'm looking for is: how do you approach teaching procedures and rules? Although I'm great with older kids, it is His will that I teach first grade for now, and I'm still trying to get into the mindset, I guess. This was probably my greatest personal downfall last year - the explicitness of routine teaching - I guess I'm not creative enough to come up with how to do it on my own, and I had no help last year. Does that make any sense?

22. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2009

First of all, I think rules and routines are two different things. When I bring up rules, I like to discuss the importance of rules and what it would be like without rules. We talk about rules adults have and what would happen if there were no rules (like traffic accidents!) and then we talk about what school would be like without rules and why it's important to have rules. Then we talk about what some good rules would be and then I transform their rules into my own words and write them down.

As far as routines, we review these as the need arises. On the first day before we go to take the hallway tour, we discuss what it will look and sound like in the hallway. Then we practice lining up and walking. If it isn't perfect, we try again. If need be, we will go back to the carpet and discuss what it should look like, have someone model and then try again as a class. Then after we walk in the hall, we may review what our line looked like and how we did what we were supposed to.

I wouldn't just throw a bunch of procedures on the class, teach them as the need arises.

23. cajunteacher1

cajunteacher1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

1stgradenana... you sure seem to blame everyone else for your problems. I have taught for the last 3 years with a teacher like you and it bother me that all your post talk about how everyone failed you last year. How did you fail your kids?

24. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 6, 2009

First, I take offense at the notion that I blame everyone else for my problems. I take full responsibility for my actions, good and bad. I have spent the last year, and especially this summer, analyzing everything that I have done or plan to do in the future. Am I perfect? Absolutely not! Do I have room to improve? Sure! I am of the opinion that unless I am constantly striving to improve and/or learn, I cannot and should not teach. With the exception of a few, my students learned and achieved more than most of the other first graders at my former school. I did not make excuses for them (none were ever made for me!), held them to a high standard, exposed them to many, many things that they would never have encountered, and (I hope) instilled a love of learning in their hearts.

Here are my "failings," as you put them. I choose to call them improvement opportunities:

• I did not reinforce procedures and rules enough at the beginning of the year, because I truly did not know what they needed to be!
    • I relied on back-up from an administration that did not offer it, even when I was physically assaulted several times.
    • I did not reach out to my union for help early on, because I was afraid of repercussions.
    • I worked 7+ hours per week at the school, plus most of my time at home, and allowed my lifestyle and health to suffer.
    • I spent waaaaaayy too much money.
    • I allowed myself to become overwhelmed by my situation.
    • I accepted a job teaching a grade level for which I was truly not prepared - I have always seen myself teaching 3rd and above, so that is where I concentrated my efforts before hire.
    • I did not make time to reach out to my mentors here at AtoZ, which probably would have made my year much better!

I am not a wet-behind-the-ears 24 year old "pyt" (pretty young thing) just out of college, full of naivete. I am a "well-seasoned" individual who grew up with nothing and has worked her tail off to make something of her life. I have seen and been where most of my students live - heck, I've lived on some of their streets! Making excuses for children does not teach them to thrive - it teaches them to fail. I choose to teach my children to be successes in life, no matter what they end up doing. If you are a highway worker (my grandfather was), be the best highway worker you can be. If you are a real estate developer, the same goes for you.

I take issue with your characterization of me as one who blames others for everything. I certainly do not. However, I do look to see what I can change and move forward from that. Also, I think if you will look up each and every post of mine, you will see that I have NEVER made such hypercritical and unkind remarks about ANYONE.

Please excuse my rambling - I had surgery today, so I'm not sure how well my logic is flowing!

25. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Aug 6, 2009

Try to keep comments as positive as possible. Teachers need to stick together. We need to build one another up as much as possible. Schools need teachers of all experience levels and enthusiasm levels to work together. :peace:

26. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Aug 22, 2009

Cajunteacher?
    Why are you on the attack? You need to be helpful, not so negative.

27. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 23, 2009

Thanks, teachers! Here's an update:
    For week 1: I basically did an "extended" schedule listing that included the procedures, etc., that I wanted to cover. This is very similar to the "letter" I leave for substitutes.
    For weeks 2 & 3: I began using the "normal" lesson plans for math, science, social studies, and health. For ELA, we use Storytown and are doing benchmark testing and the Inventory Unit (K review), which is totally different from the "regular" lessons, so I lumped my entire week on one page, because none of us have any idea how long this will take! From week 4 onward, though, I will be using my "standard" LP form, that follows the Storytown lessons. If you would like a copy, please send me a PM with your email address & I'll happily send you one - it's in Microsoft Word.

28. Mrs N

Mrs N Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

I re-read Harry Wong's "The First Days of School" and I really took the procedure portion to heart. I went through the list of areas he suggests to have procedures (turning in paperwork, coming into the classroom, participating in discussions) and I made a notecard for each of the ones that pertain to me. I put them on a ring for reference (that's how my brain works...I have notecards on rings for everything!) and I organized them in the order I would teach them to the kids. It really helped me think about what I want the kids to be doing at each time.
    As far as rules go, I usually have the kids brainstorm some ideas that would make our classroom great and then we group them into the four rules our school has "I am safe. I am respectful. I am responsible. I am prepared." I leave the students' examples under the headings so they understand what each word means.

29. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2009

Nana, we did our benchmark assessments our first four days of school and my students did a wonderful job. I had one basic and the rest of my students were either proficient or advanced. We started our Lesson 1 last week and we will be giving the first test Monday.

30. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 23, 2009

Cool, DHE! We're still testing, but we didn't start until Wed of last week. From the End of K Dibels results from last year, it looks like I have 2 "intensives," 2 "strategics," and 13 benchmarks (6 of which are off the charts high). I have theoretical groups set up on paper and may use them for a bit, but I really want to see what these benchmark tests tell me, since I have never used them. Interestingly, my only 2 inclusion kiddos are 2 of my highest DIBELS scorers!

31. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2009

Wow, well we will be DIBELing this week, so I hope the get a true picture from that. We did not do the Inventory Units this year, (district's decision). So we jumped straight into Lesson 1.

32. sally reading

sally reading Rookie

Aug 24, 2009

A great book to use

I just bought and used a great book to teach routines and procedures that you read to the children. You can read and discuss it with them, and make sure you read the notes to the teacher at the beginning of the book. It is called
    Kevin Knows the Rules: Introduces Classroom Rules To Kindergarten Through Third Grade Students by Molly Dowd and Carla Golembe. I bought it on Amazon. It was great, and includes a poster.