lesson plans for long-term sub

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs_Barrett, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

Hello all~Right now I'm 35 weeks pregnant, and thinking I might go before my due date, because my doctor says I'm measuring big. I've been working on my lesson plans for the first couple of weeks, because I'm hoping that I'll be teaching then. :)

Oh, I should mention that I'm starting a brand new program, where I haven't even been into my classroom yet, because of construction. But anyhoo...

How long should I plan for my sub? I'm alittle anal I guess and want to plan for the whole leave. Should I? I know that when I did a long term position, I planned it all. The other teacher didn't do it at all. :eek: Any thoughts anyone?

3. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Jul 30, 2007

A good teacher-friend of mine was pregnant last year and as she was preparing for her leave I remember her saying that the county requires teachers to leave two weeks of detailed plans for the long term sub. Beyond that, teachers must leave a skeleton (i.e., curriculum pacing calendar or similar) for the sub to plan from. I think that's a pretty good way to go. It would be awful for you to write six weeks of detailed plans when things are going to come up (the kids need more time or less time than you thought to learn something) and she'll have to make revisions anyway.

4. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 30, 2007

I wouldn't plan out everything for the whole time. I know that my plans often run long or something comes up or I see after assessing that they just didn't get it and the plans have to change. I think like luv said above, one or two weeks and then a skeleton of what you want accomplished before your return.

5. IRAEnglishT-chr

IRAEnglishT-chr Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I subbed this past year for two weeks in two different classrooms and the only plans I had for both was for the rest of the week I was in when I started. In other words, I started both jobs on a Tuesday and the plans had been made through Friday, but the rest of the planning book was blank. Of course this was due to emergency leave in both cases, but I found that it was enough. Like has already been mentioned, I think that if you plan for the whole 6 weeks the sub may feel obligated to follow your plans to the letter and not make changes as the need arises. I'd plan for a couple weeks and then just leave notes about what direction s/he might take after that...

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2007

I had a baby one year in August, so the LTS actually started the class for me, and then I had one the next year in mid-September, so I left after a few weeks, too. My district has parent/teacher conferences for the first three days of school for PK and K, and the one thing I did that put everyone most at ease was have my sub come to conferences with me. I took those days as part of my leave so that she could get paid, but I still held the conferences. (This was for the September baby. For the August baby, she was born on the first day of conferences, so that sub was on her own!)

I am a bit of a control freak, so I planned out a LOT for my subs. I compiled a binder over the summer. One section was "daily routine, " one was "where to find items," one was "parent contacts," and one was the actual lesson plans. I typed up a sample lesson plan covering all of the daily routines, but none of the academics. I included rules, discpline plans and transportation issues. That was in the first section. The second section was a map of the room, labeled clearly with where I stored items. The third section covered the conference routine, but also had a log for her to take notes about any parent contact. The last section had daily plans for the first month. I didn't have to re-write the routine part, since that was already covered, so it just looked like this:
    DATE:
    large group -
    small group -
    transition-
    small group-
    transition-
    centers-
    I only had to fill in page numbers from the curriculum guides after each one.
    And then, the last thing I did...I bought an expanding file with spaces for 30 days and anything that the sub needed to copy, any worksheets or parent letters, etc, went in that file by day of the month she needed them, unless those items were located in the curriculum guide.

I took three months off. I planned out the first month in this sort of detail, but then provided a weekly framework for the next two months that told her which units she needed to cover in each subject, and also other details, like when she needed divide kids to start reading groups and when she needed to start assessments for report cards.

It was a LOT of work, but it was worth it to return to a class almost as well trained as if I had been there!

Kim

7. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 31, 2007

Kim~Thank you for all that great info. I think I will continue to write my lesson plans, but I'm leaving room for changes (centers). I also plan on communicating with this sub a lot, because this program is a model program for the upcoming year. I like the idea of the binder. I think I'll start working on that once I can get into my classroom and get it under control. I'm only taking off 6 weeks (8 for c-section). I'm just hoping that I can get in the first week and half, because I really want to start the year off. I know how hard it was when I started the year off as a sub and then have them adjust back to the regular teacher. The kids had a hard time adjusting to her.