Lesson Planning

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Reflect, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Reflect

Reflect New Member

Jun 8, 2021

How long does it usually take to plan a lesson?

3. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Jun 8, 2021

It really depends. In reality, in my head, probably about 20 min, especially for subjects I've been teaching for awhile. To write it down is another story. Depending on the template that the district at the time requires, it can take me 30 minutes to 3 hours. And that's not including actually creating any activities I might need to find or create. I am high school not elementary, so I'm single subject, but I think it's different teacher to teacher

4. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jun 13, 2021

Depends on complexity, elements and person. I’m sure you know types who can take a skill or concept and plan it out to the micron in ten minutes or less. Others can spend over an hour for the same result. Perhaps another way to look at it is When can I say my lesson plan is done? I used to put my lesson plan on the board. Then I would mark each element after teaching it. This helped to keep me organized. I would explain each element to the class, “Okay class, this part of the lesson is called checking for understanding. I’m going to use different methods to find out if you get it, sort of get it or ‘Huh? What’s that?’. This will tell me whether I can move on or need to back up and reteach.”

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2021

It totally depends on the type of plan and how well you know your standards. When I was not super experienced and worked in a school with high expectations, it usually took me hours.
    Once I knew standards and pacing, I got very quick at it. With computers and templates, it got to be super easy. I could whip out a week's lesson plan in less than 30 minutes my last 10 yrs. Ask the P for a "good example" to follow if you do not have a specific format. I did this after a new P came and was happily shocked at how basic he wanted LP's to be.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 11, 2021

Some lessons..very little. Some a lot. Then once I have them down in the computer, I can whip them out quickly if I use them again. Good lessons you might be able to use for many, many years. Lesson planning takes less and less over the years. First year at a new grade level lesson planning can take far longer than any other year.