Lesson Planning

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by vivalavida, Jun 14, 2015.

1. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Jun 14, 2015

Now that I've wrapped up my first year (whew!), I'm thinking about things I would like to update or change for next year. I've always been curious how other teachers organize and write out their lesson plans. This year, I planned out my month-long units digitally in calendar format and then wrote each daily plan in a lesson planner book I bought on TPT. So many of the fun lesson planner books out there are pricey and mainly intended for elementary teachers, but I like having it written down to reference during the day (as opposed to only digitally). Just wondering what other methods are out there. Do you use a planner book, online lesson planning template, post-it notes? ;-)

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 14, 2015

I'm required to use a certain format in a word document that I have to upload into google drive.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2015

I use a plain black teacher plan book from Office Depot that's designed to be used as a weekly planner for six periods. Instead, I write in dates and use it as a monthly planner. I have two preps, and there's room in each square to jot down what I do in each. This way I've got multiple years in the same planner, so it's easy to look back and check my pacing.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 15, 2015

I use Google Calendar and print it out day of.

It works really well when I have to search for past lessons in past years.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 15, 2015

I have an excel spreadsheet.

I update the date/day of the week portion each year and then plug in the big ideas to get a sense of timing. Then, I plan unit by unit.

7. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Jun 15, 2015

I use a table I made in Word. I teach 3 grade levels so each level gets it's own column for the entire week, and the days are each row. As far as the format for each day, I use the format of my teacher evaluations to make it easier on myself.

8. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jun 15, 2015

Most often, I use a google doc I designed with a column for each day and a row for each section. There are sections for critical standards, essential questions, bellwork, homework assignment, and on and on. I'm looking at different options for next year, though. I'm curious about online options like Planbook and Common Curriculum, but part of me just wants to buy a nice paper planner and do it that way.

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 15, 2015

I use a self-created template in Google Docs. We are required to share lesson plans with our principal, and I find it's much easier to just share a Google Doc.

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2015

We were required to turn in our lesson plans weekly on google docs, but after October they just stopped asking for them. :rolleyes:

I write down my lesson plans in a planner. I constantly change what I do each day so having it digitally doesn't make sense to me. My planner has so many arrows, marked out activities and side activities I never got to, websites scribbled down, etc. It works great for me.

11. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jun 15, 2015

This is such an interesting topic, because your reasoning is exactly why I do like using Google Docs. I can easily cut and paste if something needs to be moved to a different day.

12. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Jun 15, 2015

This is why I do my monthly planning electronically, so I can constantly switch things around if needed, then each day I write the following day's plan down in my paper planner. I like having it out and easy to reference during the school day. If it were online/digital, I wouldn't always be able to easily access it. So I guess I blend the two, but am always looking for other ideas for paper planners, since all the stylish ones are $50+!

13. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Jun 15, 2015

I plan out each quarter in calendar style spreadsheet on Google docs. Then every Friday, I make a weekly calendar for the next week with everything I need to get done, make copies of anything that I need, and write the schedule/announcements on my board so that I don't forget anything.

For my school, we are required to submit a daily objective for each of our preps. I do those on Fridays but they aren't really a part of my lesson planning.

14. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jun 15, 2015

I just finished my first year teaching an AP course. This summer I am rewriting unit plans for it. I have to be the worst at assigning homework, so am focusing on planning those assignments in advance.

When the year starts I will use a paper planner and plan each class about 2 weeks at a time. I've used both digital and paper planners and find I prefer the paper. I like the fact that I can look back at what I "planned" and read my comments about why changes were necessary (or my ideas for next year to improve the lesson).

15. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Jun 16, 2015

What type of paper planner do you prefer for secondary, beccmo?

16. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jun 17, 2015

I really like the undated planners from Elan Publishing. Since I have 3 preps next year I can use the 4 classes/day planner and have that extra column for personal notes/reminders for myself. They are $6.95 each, plus shipping. I will get 3. With shipping the cost will be about $10 each!

http://www.elanpublish.com/teacher-lesson-plan-undated.cfm