Lesson Planning: Do you actively look for clips from TV shows and movies?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by adeeb, Sep 30, 2015.

1. adeeb

adeeb Rookie

Sep 30, 2015

Hi all,

I'm back from a busy few months. *phew*

I'm looking more into lesson planning and wanted to learn about your experience with clips from popular TV shows and movies (The Office, The Big Bang Theory, SpongeBob, Despicable Me, etc.). Do you actively look for videos from these sources, or are they just nice to have? How difficult is it for you to find educational clips from TV shows and movies? If it is difficult, how valuable would it be if you could find these clips in an easier fashion?

I feel that clips from TV shows and movies may be underutilized resources in teaching and engaging students. When I was a student (which was somewhat recently), not many of my teachers used content from those sources; however, I always loved it whenever they did.

I've spoken to a few teachers about this topic and wanted to get some more thoughts on it. I'm looking forward to an insightful discussion!

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 30, 2015

I don't look for clips from TV shows, I don't find them relevant for my content. If I was teaching science, I'm sure I would have fun with showing Big Bang Theory, but not with English.

I however scout Youtube all the time and find tons of clips that are exactly what I need.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 30, 2015

I find songs and short videos on YouTube. I don't watch enough tv to see things I want to use in class. I'm happy with the things I find.

5. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 30, 2015

If I am planning a unit on a specific topic I will google that topic to see what videos come up.

6. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Sep 30, 2015

I tend to generally avoid using clips from popular TV shows and movies. I've tried it in the past, but the students always seem to miss the connection. They get too caught up in the 'punch line' or start talking off topic about why that show/movie is so great. Bill Nye is as pop-culture as it gets with me!

7. adeeb

adeeb Rookie

Sep 30, 2015

Thank you all for your insight! I suppose I'm wondering if there is some sort of need or desire to be able to easily find clips from TV shows and movies.

I'm not sure if you teach grammar, but there is a grammar clip from The Big Bang Theory.

Would you consider that clip relevant to English?

Would you be willing to try using TV clips if they were easily accessible?

How does that fare for you? Do you usually find any videos for that topic?

Very interesting! If you don't mind me asking, what are some examples of clips you've shown to your students?

8. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 30, 2015

I teach world history, so it's hard to find contemporary tc shows discussing the Protestant Reformation :p but I do use a particular English children's show a lot (Horrible Histories).

9. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2015

You should watch more Simpsons.

"Oh my God, they're nailing something to the door of the cathedral - I've created Lutherans!" - Lisa

10. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 30, 2015

I'm so glad you reminded me of that episode! Thanks!

11. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Oct 1, 2015

If something comes to mind, I include it, but I don't make it a point to use it.

I tend to play songs with lyrics over movies/TV shows. I teach English, so I have plenty of options if I wanted to. I guess I feel like I just don't have enough time. I also don't want students to get used to it. I like that they get excited when we watch something.

12. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 1, 2015

One time in HS, we read the Taming of the Shrew and then watched 10 Things I Hate About You.

The teacher would stop the movie about 5-10 minutes before class ended and would ask us what we noticed was influenced by the Taming of the Shrew (some of the lines were just ripped right out of it).

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2015

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 1, 2015

Lol! No! BBT has like no science in it! It's all just sitcom. But I get what you mean.

Yeah, if I'm looking for a video, I'll just search youtube for whatever keywords are related to my lesson. There's no way I'm going to figure out how to record from my TV and upload it just for 3 minutes of a lesson.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2015

Actively look? No

I do, however, use brain pop, NASA videos, educational YouTube videos (math songs, etc)and kid friendly news clips related to current events

16. adeeb

adeeb Rookie

Oct 1, 2015

Thank you all for your thoughts! Keep them coming!

Is there some aspect of using TV/movie clips that you feel is time-consuming? Are you showing them entire episodes/movies or just small snippets?

What if this was already done for you? Would you then use the clip or look for more clips of that nature?